Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Just drove a ST

7K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  BaconZombie 
#1 ·
I went by my preferred Ford dealer to see their newly arrived ST. I was offered a test drive right away. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance. If you don't want to be disappointed in your current Focus, don't drive the ST. It is a night & day difference to my SEL. Lots of torque at lower RPM and it pulls right to red line. I was chugging around in traffic and left it in 3rd gear. It would pull easily from 1500 rpm and I didn't feel the need to go to lower gears to get the engine to respond. The suspension is great and feels a lot more solid and balanced - no understeer when pitched into off ramps at speed. Too bad the ST suspension upgrade is more involved than just springs and struts. I didn't like the sound tube gimmick they used on the ST. I took it off my 2011 GT right away.

Thanks to Ken Marks and Dave Linebaugh at Paul Miller Ford in Lexington, KY.

If could get my wife to drive a manual, I would have ordered the ST on the spot. What a great commuter / AutoX car. The tester was loaded with a $29K sticker. Don't buy the first one on the lot! Everyone at the dealership thrashed this one.

#3 ·
Everyone at the dealership thrashed this one.
It's not the first time I hear about dealerships employees abusing cars.Yes these cars are made to be driven,but it should be done in respect with the break-in period recommendations.There's no reason for salesmen to redline the engine just for the kick of trying it.This will not break the car ,but will affect it in the long run.And this is even worst on a turbocharged car if they don't allow warm up and cool down period to prevent the turbo bearings from running dry.

#8 ·
I didn't say they abused it. Why does this forum always have to turn into dealer bashing. It was driven like it was intended. It just isn't a new car any longer. Most people who drove it wouldn't have to drive it at 60% to think they were going fast. It has just had a lot of butts in the seat. I think it is great that Paul Miller Ford put the car out there so people could really drive it. I had the car at 75% of its capability on one on ramp and the salesman and passenger stiffened up and grabbed onto whatever was close. Didn't hurt the car a bit and I would be doing it on a regular basis if I bought one - I drive my cars, but I don't abuse them. Doing burnouts, trying to power shift, etc. doesn't make you faster, just abuses the car for no reason.

How about complimenting the dealer for their efforts to show off the car and Ford for producing it!!!

#14 ·
Every thread goes like this, these days.

How about people in Ottawa, Virginia Beach, Littleton, etc.... not worry about a dealer in Kentucky. Not likely to affect your lives! [poke] Who knows, maybe they're using it as a demo car and selling it as such.

Most people who want to buy this car, and who have to sell it, need to drive one (and properly) to see what it's all about. I would want to test one out if I were buying, and I'd want my salesman and the service techs to know how the car normally behaves.

OP, that's quite cool that you got to try it out. I agree, I should stay away from it or I'll find my Focus so mundane, I'll have no option but to trade up!

#15 ·
I bought my dealer demo Titanium knowing full well what was probably done to it.

So I was surprised when I found out this was actually the dealerships service managers car for 8400km. Not a demo car that got customer time, just a car that got employee time.

It still had a hint of new car smell and as far as I could have figured out, didn't have a hint of wear.

So the ST. If the dealer moves it over to demo status they are free to do whatever the hell they want to it. Its their car and they can trash it or baby it as much as they want.

And I don't think that dealer will be selling that ST any time soon, they'll probably keep it for test drive/demo purposes kinda like how all new cars are treated, you don't sell a demo till you have significant stock remaining to start doing so and even then it won't till the next model year if even that.

So I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape about what a dealer is doing to car that they won't even buy...

#16 ·
Wow, this escalated quickly...

Going to the dealership and driving an ST without buying it is like going and sleeping with Jessica Biel/Jessica Alba/Jennifer Lawrenece/Kate Beckinsale/Jennifer Aniston/Eliza Dushku, whoever floats your boat, and then going home to your wife/girlfriend. While you still love her, you're still going to be disappointed later.

#17 ·
Wow, this escalated quickly...

Going to the dealership and driving an ST without buying it is like going and sleeping with Jessica Biel/Jessica Alba/Jennifer Lawrenece/Kate Beckinsale/Jennifer Aniston/Eliza Dushku, whoever floats your boat, and then going home to your wife/girlfriend. While you still love her, you're still going to be disappointed later.
muahahahaahah....

#19 ·
That's weird, I've driven several Focus STs at a Ford event at their test track on the high speed track. I liked it more than the other cars like the 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 l atx. However I wasn't disappointed by my SEL afterwards, but I get along with my dct and usually drive much more mellow in traffic so the mpg is nice.

Got to thrash some Ford owned examples to 80 mph and feel the turbo come on song and chasing down the mustangs.

There were two chicanes to slow down for and really feel the power. I loved the 6 mt but the clutch takes a few laps to get used to.

#29 ·
Getting back on topic...

If you're in the market for a hot hatch, at this point not buying the ST is a bad decision.

I wouldn't expect someone to jump 5k in price from a Titanium to a ST, not everyone needs the power and performance.

But the ST compared to the GTI and MS3 and VT and WRX?

Well the WRX is getting a proper update soon, bespoke platform and all to share with the next STI so if you must have awd you are better off waiting.

The VT is still too soft. All Hyundai did was add a turbo. Sure, it's 4-5k cheaper, but it feels that much cheaper. Not remotely in the same class.

The MS3 and GTI are sort of the benchmarks for hot hatches, maybe the GTI more so because VW seems to have nailed the hot hatch formula.

The ST takes a hammer to the balls of the GTI.

If you drive an ST chances are your going to be spoiled and driving any other car In the class won't be as enjoyable, that's how good I think the ST is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.