Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Weird Rattle Passenger seat

28K views 66 replies 25 participants last post by  jakemichels 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone experienced this rattle, i have been diagnosing it and finnally found the culprit. Seems there is something rattling from my passenger seat.

I think this should be an easy fix but has anyone had this issue before I bring it in?

FYI Seats are leather heated and manual controls

#3 ·
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I can push on the seat back to make it *click* or pull up on the seat bottom.

I should post a video of this - especially while driving on a cold morning. It's unbearable. I haven't made the time to diagnose it yet.

#7 ·
Why do you have to replace the clutch? Do you have DCT or Manual

I have manual and the clutch is great, I see people here complaining about a bad clutch on the manuals but ive never had and issue on this or any other Manual car ive driven.

#8 ·
Why do you have to replace the clutch? Do you have DCT or Manual
DCT. So far 3 dealers have said "That's a weird noise." And then took it back and played the "That's normal" game with me. It now vibrates noticeably when shifting into 4th or 2nd, but I have pretty much given up until summer rolls around and it gets really bad again.

#9 ·
So glad I didnt get DCT, i thought maybe on this new car id get auto but the car enthusiast in me refused haha

#10 ·
I will bring my car in to check into this rattle and let you know guys

#11 ·
I have the same rattle. Sometimes drives me crazy but most of the time its unnoticeable. Usually if i hear it rattling I stop at the next chance i get, recline the seat a bit and sit in the seat to add pressure and its usually good after that. It seems like it only rattles in 1 position because when my girlfriend gets in the car and changes around the position it seems to rattle more once shes out of the car.

#12 ·
Ya I thought this rattle was the headliner rattle we were discussing yesterday

But noticed it wasnt when I was coming home, fyi I am in markham mon-fri for work. FF meet!

#14 ·
Nice I know exactly where that is, i use to work closer to there off commerce valley drive east

Now i am at 14th and Warden

Any mods on the car yet?

#18 ·
Oh wicked, our construction yard is on commerce valley and hwy 7. I live at 7 and warden, ill keep an eye out for your car, not many focuses around the area.

Done a few small mods, the front of my car i blacked out the 2 bars that go across the grill. Tinted windows. Exhaust tip. Black SEL rims (winters are on now. Any mods on yours?

#17 ·
I thought it was the seatbelt as well but I tested for that and it still did it

#19 ·
Oh nice

I have yet to see a modded MK3

I have a green filter installed, car is very deep and throaty
Racing pedals

To be installed:
Rally Mudflaps
Door Sills
Exhaust Tip

Planning on blacking out the rims as well, did you go the plastidip route?

#20 ·
I have yet to see a modded MK3
Only modded MK3 I've seen was someone changed the little orange (side marker?) bulbs in the headlights to white and changed the low-beam bulbs. That's about it...

#21 ·
Just a "me too" post. I have this same passenger seat rattle. First I thought it was the headrest, then I thought it was thr HVAC vent under the seat, but no, it is the seat back itself. I was at the dealer just today for this and they were unable to reproduce or diagnose it. :banghead:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

#22 ·
Just a "me too" post. I have this same passenger seat rattle. First I thought it was the headrest, then I thought it was thr HVAC vent under the seat, but no, it is the seat back itself.
Yup. I found out it wasn't the headrest, then shoved carpet padding under the HVAC vent... still rattles.

#24 ·
I found the best way to replicate the rattle is to sit in the drivers seat, and extend your arm (like youre going to put an arm around a lady) but go behind the seat, and hit the back of the seat hard but in a jerky way.

#26 ·
Thanks Ford Service

Nice you guys participate in these forums

#28 ·
Several people have had the passenger seat track replaced, right? Can I grease mine? Or do I need to take it apart and bend something, add something soft to the top of the track, etc.? Should I replace it myself?

I'm at 47k miles and I don't think my ESP would cover this since it's considered a "rattle". It's been doing it forever, but I was putting off fixing it until my clutch was replaced (which never happened).

But depending on the seat position, it's not like - oh, I hit a bump *rattle*. It's clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick as I drive down the highway. I moved the passenger seat position while driving today; I was going crazy.

EDIT: I'm going to pinpoint it one weekend this summer and probably do something like this: http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584750

#29 ·
Ok recline the seat but not to much then fist pound the seat cushion thats how i was able to reproduce mine.

Sounds stupid but worked and I was able to show a ford rep right away assuming its the same rattle

#33 ·
I took mine in today to have it investigated I'll post back with results... Also have one on the drivers side at highway speeds drives me nuts

Sent from my SCH-I605 using FF Mobile
Let us know how things go, cornettbr! If you need my assistance, you know where to find me. [thumb]

Crystal

#36 ·
Has anyone checked the latch between the center console and the seat? Being that its on a flexible mount and prone to vibrate slightly. I noticed this in my car but couldnt figure it out until i leaned over the passenger seat and saw it vibrating against the center console. It has a piece of adhesive felt on it to prevent the rattle however the very top edge was contacting the console causing the rattle. I just took the latch and forced it away from the console. Problem solved!!!!![hihi]

#41 ·
I've heard of a few people getting the seat track replaced. I'm not really looking forward to having to do that. I don't think it's the seat belt because I can replicate a click by just lifting the base of the seat when it's cold out. But I'll troubleshoot it one of these days...

-->My Morning Commute<--

I can actually see the top half of the passenger seat shaking back and forth when it's clicking. Not sure if anyone else notices that.

#44 ·
A pillar rattle

I also have a rattle from the passenger side.

It happens much more frequently when it is cold and took me a while to figure where it was coming from.

I thought center console, then roof liner & passenger seat, but pressing / prodding / knocking those made no difference.

It is coming from the bottom of the passenger side A-pillar rattling against the dash. When it happens I push the pillar trim and it stop! I think I just need a piece of foam between the trim and the dash.

My car is and SE with appearance pack.

#49 ·
I also have a rattle from the passenger side.
Hello everyone, I purchased a 2014 focus se sedan only a couple months ago, shortly after, it started to become a rattle box.
As does mine.
I have that same one, though I haven't 'officially' diagnosed it yet.
Hey all,

If you're still experiencing this concern, please let me know and I'll look into available options.

I have a similar problem in a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium Sedan. I still haven't quite figured out where it's coming from. It sounds like it's coming from the seat directly either in or under, but I can't quite tell. Has anyone had any luck with the dealership?
I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, yifeixli. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

#45 ·
Hello everyone, I purchased a 2014 focus se sedan only a couple months ago, shortly after, it started to become a rattle box.

I had multiple rattles coming from various locations in the car, and I have meticulously been eliminating them one at a time. Thought I'd share my experience.

The most annoying and consistent rattle was occurring while driving above 60mph, especially with any head wind. I figured it was related to any relative wind forces. The sound may initially seem to come from somewhere on the passenger side, but I eventually noticed it was loudest when I put my ear to the center armrest.

My search led me to discover that the exhaust heat shield underneath the car (at the approximate location under the armrest area) would rattle against the frame when only slightly tapped. I fixed this rattle by applying some high-temp rtv (silicone) to the heat shield and frame contact points (mine hit the frame more on the passenger side). I also bent some portions of the heat shield until it produced zero rattling when tapped.

Other passenger side rattles may come from the b-pillar plastic trim and the loose vent underneath the passenger seat. My driver side vent was nice and snug, but the passenger side was completely loose. I put some foam tape around the vent which helped, but there seems to be no way to get it to feel "installed," like it is on the driver side. My passenger b-pillar squeaked at times. This was also an easy fix. I popped it out just enough to apply some silicone to the areas where the plastic around the metal retaining clips butts up against the pillar.
I also have some creaks that come from the dash areas, where the gauge cluster and stereo meet the dash. I haven't fixed them yet, but I know that 3M makes a black, sort of putty like tape that works well for dampening these types of creaks. I couldn't find it online, but I've seen it sold at auto-body shops. It's a bit pricey.

It seems many have noticed that their car came with the door panels not quite completely installed. It wasn't the case with mine, but going through all the door panels and pressing on them to ensure all the clips are in their recepticles is a good starting point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.