Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How do you feel about a tuner for the NA 2012+ Focus?

• I own a 2012+NA Focus, and would buy a tuner

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I own a 2012+ NA Focus, and would not buy a tuner

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • A tuner would make me want a 2012+ NA Focus more

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • A tuner wouldn't make me want to own a 2012+ more.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do You Want an ECU Tuner for the Mk III NA Focus?

25K views 104 replies 39 participants last post by  _RED_ 
#1 ·
Let's make this a bit simpler, removing the issue of peoples' histories or beef with any particular tuning company. Should be easy enough, right?

#40 ·
Yesterday was Friday. Had to eat Tuna, which just reminded me: don't have Tuner.

#43 ·
Yes. Can't vote in poll, don't know why, don't really care. Been too busy reading the forum and not the rules which I am sure include the reasons why I can't vote yet.
Maybe I'm not 18, maybe I should not be an A55(apologies to anyone by that name if any).

I, for one, will do no performance mods until there is a tune available, preferably one that can be set on a dyno by the user to ensure that all is safe, my baby needs protection.

#44 ·
I've no idea why you can't vote in the poll? There might be a 100 minimum post limit or something on this board, no idea.

Intake and exhaust are totally safe on this car without a tune.

#48 ·
I can't vote in the poll, either, but I would also buy a tune/chip/etc were one available. As much as I'm pleased to see the gains on these cars from bolt-on intake/exhaust changes, I have zero desire to increase the amount of noise my car makes. I use it as a commuter, and the last thing I want is more noise, especially the kind that attracts unwanted attention. A tune/chip/etc would suit my desire for a little more power perfectly.

Perhaps SCT(or whomever) can do an earlier release for those of us who choose to shift on our own. No messing with DCT programming nonsense should theoretically reduce complexity and development time. [poke]

#50 ·
Thread bump! Mk.3 owners, voice your stance, please! This is useful information for any companies that happen to browse our little corner of the internet. It's not scientific, but stand up and be counted!

#51 ·
Well, I already have, and have the cred that I own a tuner for Tom Dually's 6.0L PowerStroke. So I will repeat the bump!

#53 ·
I'm waiting, too... just not quite as patiently. [whip]

#55 ·
#56 ·
The 2.0 referred to there is a diesel. No, it won't work on a Gas engine. The others won't work on MK3 cars. Wish it would!

#59 ·
I'm not sure they'd be able to, given they probably have totally different PCMs for their EDM Focii. At the very least, I'm not sure if the Duratec 2.0L is available there.

#60 ·
Outside of Russia and Eastern Europe? No the 2.0 L Ti-VCT engine is not available in Germany, or the rest of Western Europe. The german plant used to import the engines to export to Austraila and elsewhere when they were the export plant for those markets rather than Thailand.

So tuning a diesel doesn't really help us even if its the same displacement.

#65 ·
Exhaust is probably cat-back, and not engine specific, that's why.

#67 ·
I have an Edge tuner for my F350. I ordered an upgrade exchange for it today. While I was talking to them, I asked them about the Focus. They have another division for cars called "Superchips". They told me they have a chip, but further discussion revealed it was the ST only. So he transferred me to the development head, and I got to bug them about one for the NA engines 2012-2013 2.0L. I told him he'd sell HUNDREDS on this forum alone, if they brought it to market before any one else did!

#69 ·
No clue, to be honest. A non-existent Focus NA Superchip is just as good as a non-existent Focus NA SCT tuner. That I can say with a very high degree of confidence. My point? I'd rather have something than nothing.

My Edge product for the PowerStroke diesel was first rate, and I anticipate the upgrade will be even better. Same company, different division.

#71 ·
Info, not vitriol, please.

Ooga booga goomba. Can you actually post something besides the very thing the original poster of this thread said they started it to avoid?

How can you say something that isn't even being made is junk? Have you owned a Superchip that was junk? For what vehicle? And what made it junk? And what constitutes a "full tune"? I can tell you that my F350 chip history going back now 7 years with Edge (same company as Superchips) gives me fueling, EGT, Boost Pressure, transmission shifting parameters, gear ratios, tire size, basically anything that can be tuned on the engine is in the chip.

Now, you may be right, the Superchip line (as opposed to the Edge line for trucks) may be inferior, but you're not helping anyone with a gratuitous assertion. Please share INFORMATION. If you don't, I'm going to keep using my status as a customer of their sister company to ask them for a tuner... and if it is first to market, many may buy it, including me. If you gave me actual information, instead of just vitriol, I might save my efforts and be lobbying some other manufacturer instead.

#77 ·
I agree completely with this line of thinking. Since I have a foot in the door, I'm trying to get one vendor to do this.

Something is better than nothing.

#74 ·
Also, before anyone points it out, I'm aware of the phrase, "Beggars can't be choosers". Right now, unfortunately, we're all raggity beggars.

#76 ·
Yes, exactly. Thanks for letting me know you get where I'm coming from here! [woot]

#78 ·
Just do some research on more performance oriented car sites and you can glean a lot of info on those sites and you rarely read anything about them generating promised HP on NA cars. (turbo applications don't apply and most turbo owners have several options)
I've spent the last 15 years on various car and truck sites (20 years drag/autoxing) and if Superchips really gave what they promised wouldn't that information be easy to find (easier than finding they don't work).

#80 ·
Ron, didn't you read what I posted? I have a foot in their door through their other division. I got to talk to someone and appeal to them to expand to include NA Focus... not just Stangs and ST Focus.

Meh. My new Edge chip just arrived via FedEx while I was typing this. I'm going to go play.

EDIT: And before I do, thanks for the info "Turbo applications don't apply..." That is useful to know, since my Edge chip is for a turbo application.

#79 ·
Just reposting this... since RedComet said "removing" ... "beef with any particular tuning company". This was the thread starting post. Just sayin'.

#81 ·
I thought we had a smart ECU that adjust for premium fuel already? And mine goes lean already at 184 FWHP, so I don't think a tuner is in the works without new injectors.

#82 ·
Have you reached the limit of the injectors or just what the ECU has as a fueling limit? And how would one really know, save trying a tuner? I honestly don't know if Ford doesn't publish the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.