Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Disconnected transmission tube, problem?

39K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
So today when I went to check my oil and other fluids I noticed something bizarre. Down behind the air box there was a plastic tube connected to a vacuum line type hose that was just sitting around out of place. After looking around I found a hole on top of the DCT where the tube would appear to fit. I noticed a bit of oil (tranny fluid?) was caked around where the hole is and there was still some oil fresh inside it.

Here's a picture of the tube (I pulled it up a bit to take the picture, it was down behind the air box when I found it)

And here's a picture of the hole

First of all; what the heck is this thing? Why would it have come out? And is it a problem that it was disconnected? Could I have lost fluids that will need to be replaced?

Just a note, I check my cars fluids weekly and this was NOT detached last week. (I haven't touched the car since then so I'm fairly certain I didn't accidentally knock it out of place) And yes, I did put the tube back where it belongs after I finished taking the pictures.

See less See more
#3 ·
+1. Trace down the other end of that tube and see where it leads. I wouldn't be surprised if it is vented to atmosphere.

If you'd lost any gear oil, you would see remnants of it around the hole. It looks pretty clean to me. I would put the vent tube back in the hole, check the fluid level at the fill plug, and mention it to the dealer's service dept next time I'm in.

#4 ·
Can't imagine how that was able to become disconnected. It does look like a fair amount of grit worked its way around the opening and some probably got into the opening itself. Assuming this is a vent tube, the grit could have worked itself into the transmission itself, which is not a good thing. Guess I would discuss with the dealer and try to get the fluid changed soon.

#6 ·
So today when I went to check my oil and other fluids I noticed something bizarre. Down behind the air box there was a plastic tube connected to a vacuum line type hose that was just sitting around out of place. After looking around I found a hole on top of the DCT where the tube would appear to fit. I noticed a bit of oil (tranny fluid?) was caked around where the hole is and there was still some oil fresh inside it...
First of all; what the heck is this thing? Why would it have come out? And is it a problem that it was disconnected? Could I have lost fluids that will need to be replaced?...
... Guess I would discuss with the dealer and try to get the fluid changed soon...
Hi xwhit3devilx,

As dan50 has suggested, I would recommend that you swing by your dealership so they can inspect. They'll be able to tell you what the tube is and replace any lost fluids, if necessary.

Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you need additional assistance.

Thanks!
-Crystal [wave]

#7 ·
Thanks everyone. The car seems to be driving (and shifting) fine for now, so I'll just mention it next time I get my oil changed as suggested. I probably overreacted, but given the number of issues people have had with the DCT I figured I'd ask around here to be sure.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Seriously, you're going to ignore the advice to have the dealership check this issue from the one person who has the most knowledge and wait to take the car in to have this checked out based on advice from anonymous people, I hope your oil change is this weekend. A lot of useful information is shared on this forum, but I have to say waiting is not good advice on this one. If a Ford mechanic had posted and said that tube is this and does this and it should be OK to wait, then maybe... Aren't you worried that contaminates may have entered or you may have lost fluid? With all the complaints about the DCT posted here, are you willing to take that chance? One, two or more small stones or the loss of fluid could be damaging the transmission and it's easier to address now than after. The car may be driving and shifting fine for now and I hope fine for now isn't the last thing said before failure. Best of luck.

#11 ·
i work at the plant where the Focus is built. I can tell you this. There is NO way that tube vibrated or came out on its own. I my friend does the job where that tube is installed. He fills the trans w fluid and puts that tube in and he has to tap the top with the handle of a mallet. has anyone touched your car except you?

#13 ·
i work at the plant where the Focus is built. I can tell you this. There is NO way that tube vibrated or came out on its own. I my friend does the job where that tube is installed. He fills the trans w fluid and puts that tube in and he has to tap the top with the handle of a mallet.
That's good information.

I wonder if it's possible that some part of that is broken or cracked.

#14 ·
I just kind of slid it back into place; it definitely didn't take a mallet or anything like the other guy here mentioned. It didn't seem broken to me though. It is possible that I may have somehow loosened it in the past and it only fell out recently, but I just don't see how that would have happened since I've never had a reason to work near that. I will say my Focus was one of the very early ones (second week of production) so it could be an early mistake of some sort. Related; the dipstick shot out of the engine on its own less than a week after I took ownership of the car, spraying oil everywhere. Apparently my dipstick tube was either missing or defective.

#15 ·
I talked with the dealer tech today, and he said it was certainly weird that it came loose, but it's not a problem at all. I'm not likely to have lost much fluid, "a few drops" at most, and the tiny amount of dirt that could have gotten in there wouldn't cause any harm. Certainly not worth getting it flushed anyway. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it comes out again, but even if it does I know now not to worry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.