Focus Fanatics Forum banner

insurance for the track

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  sexy2002svt 
#1 ·
So I was watching some autocross vids on youtube and I saw one dude roll his contour SVT. They showed it being towed away and it looked pretty much totaled.

I would assume there is track insurance. What does it cover and how much does it cost.

It would really majorly suck to total a car w/out ins to fix/replace it. Something I wouldn't do. Not to mention the fact that my wife would probably forbid me to do it. (understandably so.)

#2 ·
Your insurance will cover damages done at an AX and on most club oriented track days.

The reason being is that you are not "racing" in the strictest definition.

The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) refers to AX as a "Precision Driving Event".

For big track days, most clubs refer to the events as "Driver Education" or a "Performance Driving Experience".

That said, most clubs require that you carry a minimum of $100,000 in personal injury and liability insurance to put a car on track.

IF ...big IF you are unfortunate enough to have an incident, the likely scenario is that the insurance company would cover the damage and either drop you or significantly raise your rates.

For AX, not a big deal. I've been doing this for 17 years and only ever seen 3 insurance claims at an AX event. Not saying that it can't happen, but it is exceedingly rare.

Still, insurance isn't an obstacle for enjoying these events.

#4 ·
That would be the plan. I like to push the envelope so to speak, but more than that, I really wouldn't want to wreck a car. And I know it would be extremely rare. But one must cover thy ass anyway.

That's why I like the ax sport. No fender rubbing. Maybe a cone once in while. But that's really about it I figure.

#5 ·
Cones, curbing, light poles, idiots driving onto the course and the occasional errant stray dog (yes, both have happened) are all that you really need to worry about.

It is arguably the safest form of motorsports.

#6 ·
^^^lol, oh yeah, one time at an auto-X we had a huge Greyhound type bus drive through our track!

and yeah, once when i was myself doing the course, some retards didn't see all the orange cones and decided to drive right onto the course in the middle of my run....i'm still tryin to figure out how you flip a car doing auto-x

#8 ·
I just looked at the video...

It's an absolute shame.

That said, the organizers and safety marshalls should be drug out into the street and caned within an inch of their lives.

2 issues

1) the location or "lot" had absolutely NO run off room

2) they were running the course in a direction that begged for catastrophe to happen. They should have run in the opposite direction where the driver would have some chance at recovery or at the very least saving the sheet metal.

Please, do not think that this is typical of autocross. It simply is not.

#10 ·
That was friggin' horrid!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsX2LxrtZ0E
I can not believe that was an SCCA sanctioned event.
There's no way any self respecting Safety Steward (and yes, I am one) would have allowed that event to go on.
Sheesh...there's people sitting down in the middle of the course.

I really feel for the car owner, but ultimately, it is your decision to run or not.
In this case, he made the wrong choice.
I'm wondering how many other incidents they've had at that place.

And no...that is NOT anywhere near being a normal AutoCross course. [?|]

#11 ·
Ha! That's at our local Marshalltown go-kart track. I've raced there many a time, and here's what happened at that situation. Iowa region event, by the way, and because of that our region can no longer use the track (although I race there with the Mustang club)

First off, this was that driver's first race, which he did on essentially a small roadcourse (.6 miles). He had this (also noob) Mustang guy telling him "You can take that turn flat out! Do it do it!" Everyone esle kept telling him not to and to ignore that guy. But he kept egging him on and he took the corner flat out.

The course is safe and has plenty of runoff room, but it IS fast and it is basically a roadcourse. Just a case of the blind leading the blind and a bad mistake.

We certainly don't let anyone sit out on course, don't know what they were thinking there. Also, we typically cone that turn a bit and change the angle enough that people aren't tempted to just bomb right through it. Still, the end of that straight is the only time I ever reached 3rd gear in my SVTF.

#12 ·
We weren't there. So, I have to give you the benefit of the doubt on the track/course layout.

To echo the good Reverend, I don't think I would have been comfortable running the course...

#13 ·
Judge for thyself. Here's my in-car of the fastest run I ever did there.

#15 ·
Oh, I know man. That darn internet and it's inability to convey tone and attitude...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.