Focus Fanatics Forum banner

02fordsvt Build/Mod/Random Thread

261K views 2K replies 86 participants last post by  02fordsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally decided to make myself a thread I can call my own. I'm not expecting to do any major builds in the near future, but since I'm always doing little changes to my car, I figured I might as well put them all in one place and stop cluttering up the rest of the forum.

A bit about me and the car. I bought my 2002 Ford Focus Svt in June, 2010 and had no real hands on knowledge about working on or modding a car except some basics I learned from my dad and from reading auto magazines. Over the past few months I have done a lot of work on this car and have really learned how to do many things. In other words, it doesn't matter how much knowledge you have, you can do anything that I have done. Furthermore, I will be the first one to admit that I have not done many things in the best or most efficient way possible. I am just learning and having fun.

Thread Rules (Or lack thereof)

Feel free to post any kind of comments or questions. If anyone would like to know how to do anything, let me know and I can give you some of the resources I used. Becuase of the way I have this thread organized, it doesn't matter how cluttered the rest of the thread gets. Post anything you feel like from suggestions, questions, and random comments. I won't feel bad if anything gets a little of topic. [thumb]

Table of Contents

First post:

Current Status Section
  1. Current Performance Modifications
  2. Current Interior Modifications
  3. Current Exterior Modifications
  4. Current Exterior Pictures
  5. Current Interior Pictures
Second post:

Modification Time Line

Reference Material

See less See more
#780 ·
The plastic cover that normally goes on top of the grill doesn't fit on this grill so air can freely move up to the intake and blow over the engine as it is now. I may try putting a new scoop in sometime to direct the air a bit more but I'm in no hurry to do it yet.

The worse eye sore is that P/S line, go get a new one, and it will look much better.

And tear the fire wall blanket off the back.
^^ this plus the heat shield. There's a bit more but this would make a good start. How hard is it to replace the P/S line, does anyone know?

#784 ·
I don't remember. Did you remove the lock? If so, how much space was there once it was gone inside the hatch panel.

I still need to go back and plan out my rear view camera idea

#793 ·
Sonic blue is the best color the focus came in in my opinion, but I might be just a little biased [neener]

#799 ·
Haha. You heard your name didn't you.

I don't know why, but I always hated the color white until I saw hot hatches in that color. I still don't like any other white cars but hatches are the exception. It's weird.

#801 ·
Yes, just bondo, and yes, self taught and self failed. lol

Once you've practiced a little it's pretty easy. Bondo is fairly easy to shape with a bit of patience. Flat surfaces are hard, though.

#807 ·
Becuase it is. lol

That's why I don't run them anymore.

BTW I'll PM you back when I get the address. It's not my paypal so I have to make sure I give you the right one.

#808 ·
I guess the good side of not having much work because it's so dry is that I get more free time. I was able to hit the back country again today. I can barely walk after biking and than sitting in the car for another couple hours.

#809 ·
Those roads look sweet man. I am more than a bit jelly. I really haven't gotten out backpack or climbing at all because I have been so busy with work.

#811 ·
What line of work are you in? I work in the basement waterproofing industry, so this lack of rain has been killing us, luckily we do other work like basement finishing, insulation, heating and cooling, foundation stabilization and other basement/crawl space work. This recent rain has started an uptick in work though.

#812 ·
Most of my income comes from lawncare which, during this time of year, is only mowing. I'm sure you can imagine what the lack of rain has done for us and there is no end in sight. I'm also a grounds keeper at another place so I can find other things to do during this slow time but that job doesn't pay as well. All in all, I stay busy and try to use my free time in the best ways I can, but the bank account isn't growing as fast as it could be.

#813 ·
Today's projects

Painted the hatch. It was the first time I used a spray gun and it worked great. All those spray lines are from the rattle can clear coat, but the roof was the same way and it sanded down great so I'm not too worried about it.

Reclearcoated one of the taillight because it has never been right. Sorry for the bad picture.

Sanded and polished the rear trim piece after it was repainted on Tuesday.

And almost finished the roof. Part of it still needs to be polished but I ran out of time.

#814 ·
Yeah, I bet you lawn care guys are really hurting. Your car is looking great! You should teach me how to do bodywork like that. I need to get rid of the foggyness of my headlights and fix some developing rust spots on the fenders, hatch, bottom of the doors, and hood. however i have no experience doing any kind of body work, I painted my mirror caps if that counts.

#817 ·
Drop by and I can help you all you want. [hihi]

In seriousness, though, you can ask any questions you have and I'll answer them the best I can. Bodywork isn't all that hard once you practice a little bit with it. I think I have a little bit more of a step by step process in here somewhere but I can make a new one sometime if you'd like.

As for the rust, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Everything I've tried so far only last for a few months before the rust comes back through the paint. This is the first time I covered it with body filler so we will see how that works out.

And for the headlights, try one of the kits from Walmart for headlight restoration; that should get rid of the haze. However, after that, you'll need to reclearcoat the headlights followed by a light sanding and polishing. It will get a much better shine if you do that than if you simply finish with the kit. More details on any of this if requested.

what did you clear the tail with? it looks amazing :)
This: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-Triple-Thick-Crystal-Clear-Glaze/17210981

Right from my nearest Walmart. It's the best clear I've used so far and works great on everything. I love it as long as it holds up over time.

looks great!
Thank you.

#820 ·
Just make sure you give it a few days to cure before trying to sand and polish it. It's kind of a general rule for all paints but it works a lot better when the clear coat is hardened.

i used the same thing to clear my tails. i just hope it is reversible.
It should be. It may take a lot of rubbing but it should come off eventually.

Just don't quote me on that. [hihi]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.