Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Cosworth IM install - what a NIGHTMARE

9K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
Posting this for reference/search purposes and I have a question for those of you that have installed this item.

Now, I have been working and modifying cars and trucks for 16 years. Everything from engine and cam swaps, intake swaps, trans rebuilds, etc. The Cosworth intake manifold is the second worst install of any part that I have ever installed (first worst was a set of bassani equal length headers on a lightning).

First of all, the Cosworth instructions show how to install the manifold with the engine pulled. Well, any idiot can bolt on an intake with the engine out of the car....thanks for nothing Cosworth.

Note, if you have cruise control....like most focuses do....you need to modify or buy a special kit in order for you to retain cruise control. of course, this isnt in the instructions. They just say "call cosworth if you wish to retain cruise control with this intake." thats a crock of crap

Next: you are supplied with a 12mm brass button. Hmmmm, where does it go? Its no where in the structions. Oh, look there is a hole that is kind of threaded, but kind of not. Fast forward to an hour of research.....you tap this plug into that hole. again, nowhere in the instructions does it say to do this.

Next: since the cosworth intake eliminates the butterfly flaps on both 2.0 and 2.3 intake manifolds, you will be eliminating the vacuum hose assembly that controls these butterfly flaps. I belive there is a sensor that gets deleted also....and....you guessed it....not in the instructions.

Onto bolting on the intake.....good luck. Now, I know a lot of people have done this without issue. I am not one of those people. There is a sensor on the PS pump hose that the manifold will not clear. It is RIGHT up against the sensor. I had to use a screwdriver in order to get the holes lined up on the intake because I couldnt move the intake over far enough (this is on an 05 model).

The pcv bung supplied would not fit the tapped hole on the intake manifold. I tried and my friend tried. I had to cut the pcv bung and JB weld it to the intake. Let me say, that thing is never coming off now. Also, since you have to trim the PCV hose....disregard the instructions. I cut mine per the spec supplied...and even left it a little bigger. When I went to install it, it was over 1.5" short! I had to order a new hose.

I had to reshape the dipstick tube in order to get it to fit correctly.

There are three bolts that go on the bottom of the intake. The one near the throttle body is a piece of cake. The center bolt...well, I had to use a pair of needlenose pliers and gently get the bolt started. Then you can start to torque it down....about 1/16" of a turn at a time. But, at least you can get to it.
Now, the bolt near the PS pump has me at a complete loss. I have tried to get to it from every angle. I can barely see the hole, let alone get to it. The only way I can see to get to this is to completely remove the ps pump in order to get access to that bolt. Now, if that is the case, that is not in the instructions. If this must be done, its going to be an additional PITA because the PS fluid will have to be drained, hoses removed from hardline....because you cant access the bottom PS bolt unless you remove all of that.

So, here I sit. 5 bolts snugged down, but not tightened down with no way to get to the final bolt.

Had I known it would be this difficult, I would have taken it somewhere to install it.....or built my own custom sheetmetal intake.

So, does anyone know how to access the bolt near the PS pump?!

See less See more
#2 ·
The little support bracket that comes with the intake should go on last. With it removed, it will give you enough clearance to get to the bolt. I had to use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a short handle and a deep socket. That gave me enough clearance to tighten the bolt up. This is definitely a bolt you need to get to from underneath the car.

The PS pressure sensor you can twist a little to give you the clearance to bolt the mani up.

Didn't you get a dipstick with your intake mani? Mine installed fairly easily. The dip stick bracket didn't line up perfectly though. I just had to bend the dip stick a little for it to line up.

#3 ·
There is no way to get to that last bolt from underneath on my car. I dont have the support bracket installed. I will see if I can get a 1/4" drive ratchet, rather than my 3/8" up in there. There is a hose or two in the way.

Yes, I got a new dipstick, but it needed to be bent nearly 2" to get it to fit right. If I know Ford, every one of these engines was built slightly different!.

#4 ·
I finally got the bolt started. I had to close my eyes and feel around. My forearm is too big to really get up in there.

One other thing I needed to mention....these orings that are supplied are crap. They dont stay in the grooves when you install the intake. I had to scotch tape them in there. The tape will end up burning off.

#5 ·
I know im late now but i removed my headlight to get to that bolt by the PS pump. I hope u changed the PVC while u could cause it will fail later on.

#7 ·
When i changed intake manifolds on mine i just tore the whole front off the car, bumper headlights, radiator, and core support, sounds like alot but takes about 30-45 mins then its wide open you can access it with ease.

#8 ·
Wow thats some work to install that manifold. Like FR2oh, I would of pull the front end off. I removed my bumper yrs ago to remove the stock air cleaner & all the ducting to install a Steeda sri. Thats right about pull the p/s bolt on the bottom, you have to undue the hose to get the bolt out. I had to pull my front cover,= I forgot about the chain tensioner, when I installed my crane cams. It just added a couple more hrs. I been eyeing that manifold for yrs. Let us know how it runs. Subscibed.

#10 ·
Even with the bolt started, there is no way for me to get a wrench on it to turn it. If I was a 6 year old girl, i might be able to get my hand on there to turn, but other than that, I dont know how to do this. Maybe if I had a small, 1/4" air ratchet, it would work, but I dontknow.

I pray that I do not have to remove the front end, drain the radiator, remove radiator, drain PS fluid, remove hoses from pump, remove the PS pump...only to get to this damn bolt.

I would NEVER...EVER have bought this ridiculous intake had I know this is what was involved for the install.

#13 ·
My brother n law came over with his mechanic tools. He used a close ratio snap-on 1/4" ratchet. That, coupled with me having a finger on the socket and.....

success!

We would never have been able to tighten that bolt down any other way without removing the front end, and then the PS pump.

I hope to be up and running this weekend. woohoo

#16 ·
well, more help needed.

There are two vacuum fittings just under the throttle body on the cosworth intake. one is a brass, barbed fitting that was supposed to have a line that went to my PZEV system. I have deleted the PZEV, so I will cap that one off.

The other one appears to be a stainless steel fitting with a 3/8" opening for a hose. I have no vacuum hoses left to go to this port. Any ideas what should go here? I am finding that there is veyr little install information on these intakes.

#17 ·
I think that one is to pull vacuum on the fuel evap canister.

Edit: I'm looking at a copy of the instructions I have, step 26, are these the two ports you are talking about? One is a barbed fitting for the fuel rail hose, the other is for the fuel pressure balance hose, which I think is the one I mentioned above.

#19 ·
I’m pretty sure, that line runs to the canister that is attached to the firewall, if you eliminated this canister along with other PZEV components, then you won’t need this line. I’ve kept it on my car, I’m pretty sure it’s just the vent that captures vapors from the fuel tank and runs them back into the engine, versus letting them out to the atmosphere. The other PZEV stuff on my ’03 is gone, air pump and egr all deleted.

I’ll take a look at my car when I get home tonight.

#20 ·
I left my EGR on, but my canister is down in my fenderwell on the passenger side. It is removed, along with the air pump and what not on the back/side of the engine on the driver's side.

The fuel rail hose can go on either of the brass barb fittings on the intake. I guess one brass barb fitting and the stainless steel fitting on the intake for the evap are going to be capped off.

Im getting there.

Looks like i just need to tighten up the lower intake bracket, hook up the CAI, get these vacuum lines straight, get a new fitting for my brake booster vacuum hose, put my fans back on, and hook up the sensors.

#22 ·
posting pics tomorrow on how to modify your IAC to run Cruise on the Cosworth intake that is....if it works.

Will also post pics of modification to get brake boost vacuum to work with cosworth intake since it doesnt fit with the fitting supplied.

Just putting this out there for future search purposes.

#23 ·
Success!

Cosworth intake is installed. I was able to use the fitting supplied for the brake boost vacuum line. I need to buy a slightly shorter bolt in order to get the cruise control to work. I countersunk the IAC valve tab, but the bolt supplied with the Cosworth intake is a hair too long.

Started the car up and it idled really well.....a little high at 1400-1500rpm, but I figure that once I let it warm up, those might come down. I figured i would have a vacuum leak somewhere. I lightly tapped the gas ust to make sure everything was working....everything checked out.

Just waiting on tom to let me know when I should call him to get tuned!

#25 ·
The car will idle high until your tuner can make the adjustments. Mine had a very high idle, as the IAC control was way off.

Personally, I took the weight savings with the cruise control delete :D

#26 ·
quick update.

I called Tom and he took over my computer for some datalogging. Started up the car and let it idle for about 5 min. It idled down to about 1100rpm....just like stock. I started the datalog session by taking the car out for a quick test drive.

First impression....intake seems pretty good. I couldnt really get into it, but the car drove like it was stock. One thing I did notice was the gas pedal was very stiff. Maybe because I have not hooked the cruise cable back up yet? I dunno, but I liked it.

Looking fwd to getting my initial tune from Tom and being able to get on it. Tom did suggest with my mods that I get a wideband....so that is next on the list once I get some more moula.

#28 ·
That is it. ^^^^ I had a cfm tb yrs ago & I couldn't drive it in traffic= very very sensative off idle. Seems like they fixed it w/ a stiff spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.