Flush all fluids
New transmission
Clutch and master cylinder
Speed sensor
Pcv valve
Plugs and wires
K & n drop in filter
And others I can't think of

And it seems like she's running worse and worse..... When I'm at a light stopped ready to take off.... I let out clutch and go to accelerate and I just sit there pettle to the floor and no response and maybe 3 seconds go by and then she takes off like a the little honey bee she is.......... Soo what could be the delay in response?????????[xx(]

#2 ·
The engine doesn't rev accordingly with the throttle? As a first step I'd take the take the MAF/air filter tube (don't really know the stock setup at all) off the throttle body and have somebody else push the throttle while you watch the throttle body and see if there's a noticeable lag between the two things, I've never heard or read about that here but it sounds like the throttle cable could be binding or something on initial throttle tip in.

The throttle blade could also be sticking but I think you can usually feel that as a slight resistance in the gas pedal.

#3 ·
It revs when I give gas accordingly just not when I need to take of fast from a stopped at a light....... If I rev like for a launch its good most of the time..... But like foot from brake to let's take off, no..... I will step on the gas and it like makes bogging sound then the power kicks in and she takes off.......

#5 ·
U know I was thinking tune....... I mean there has just been soo my h work done to it over the past few months it feels like the cars off a bit and my gas mileage has even declined dramatically...........man I wanted to get new tires and shocks n springs because those are all worn, befor I got the tune........ Wow when I upgraded from zx3 to svtf I thought I was saving money to get those hp gains but wow the maintenance has becom a lot........... I will never ever sell this car now...... I'm way too much into her!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!! Now to save 500$$$$ for live wire tune...........

#6 ·
All the symptoms of a bad intake manifold controller. Do a search I think it's called a IMRC it's real easy to check it it is. On start up the cable pulls taunt.
If this is it you are in for a surprise when it's fixed because it really kills performance and mileage.

#7 ·
Are u talking about the dyi clip or the thread where you actually take out the imrc, open it up and clean the metal connection part??????? Are those actually easy to do cause I have been hesitating to try and remove the clip and box!!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
Just locate the cable end then have someone start the car. The motor pulls the cable and the flapper on the intake moves toward the radiator. This is sooo comon. If it doesn't work then I would check fuse first then consider repair or replacement. But check it first, it's free.

#9 ·
Interesting. I am experiencing the same problem. Now for me, I have had my car since it first hit 2 miles on the clock back in 2003.

And I have also gone through 2 engines in the car.

But now that I think about it, I have not changed out my IMRC. (Moved over from engine to engine) That does sound like something that would be stopping the acceleration.

Good suggestion, NJSVTGUY.

-Ray-

#11 ·
Okay I will have to check all this and just plan a day to take alert and just clean the connector cause the dyi clip is fine and connected........ I have had a cel for Imrc stuck open but it goes away and comes back......

#12 ·
My st 170 did the exact same thing , i disconnected the battery terminals for an hour and then took her for a drive redlining first for gears for at least 10 mins and guess what , the flatspot dissapeared

#15 ·
I know the A/C will make it feel a little draggy and I'm prepared for this. But this is a VERY noticable and even audible stumble between those RPM. It does it only every so slightly with the A/C off so I know it's worsening the symptom.

Are the flaps active at that RPM range? This stumble is present even if I accelerate slowly with less throttle input. Related to this problem, if the A/C is on and I need to accelerate from a traffic light it acts as if the engine will die before actually taking off, unless I rev to about 2000 and feather the clutch. This problem is non-existent with the A/C off. Do I just remove the intake manifold to take a look at the IMRC mechanism? Thanks!

#16 ·
i dont think teh imrc is acting up in your issue. ive always feathered the clutch in on my focus or it felt like it would die at teh light. with or without a tune. however i'm used to a big heavy pickup clutch.

FYI imrc should open at about 4500 or higher if i recall.
ald it always helps to at least run it all the way up close to redline once a day. the svt is a fickle little thing, and it'll let you know immediatley if something is off.

#18 ·
assuming it isnt broken the click you hear under the hood is the box pulling the cable in, and switching teh focus over to long runner mode for low rpm torque. at high rpm the box unwinds teh cable and teh internal spring switches the runners to short for high rpm power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.