Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Review: Raceland Coilovers 98-04 Focus

83K views 191 replies 65 participants last post by  rambleon84 
#1 ·
Product: Ride height adjustable coilovers for the 98-04 Ford Focus.
Link: I got mine from Here <--- click.
Price: $424.67 with the 1USD=0.631078GBP currency rate.
Shipping: -/+ 8 days.
Communication: The communication is very short with "Phil", but he always answered all the questions.

* i'll update with pictures and stuff when I receive them

#92 ·
so for the 08+ u will need the omni kit and the upper seats thats all?
:) i would like to try this coilovers

#96 ·
Coilovers for under$500 wow. Wonder how they can be so cheap? Was looking at an eibach pro kit down the road but this peaks my interest cuz they would cost about the same. I put about 30,000 a year on my car which is my only worry.

#97 ·
I just got hosed by a fellow employee at my dealership, he quoted me $384 for the Dynamic Damper kit, and I came in to work two days later he said he mis-quoted me and they'd actually be about $460-480!
So I'm sold! What does it cost to set up a paypal?

#99 ·
Well, here we go!
I just sent the guy an email and got my PayPal straightened out so time will tell... I need new shocks and this kit is $40 more than I was planning on spending; if it's real I can't wait to install them and give a review!

#100 ·
Will be waiting for your review. Thinking about these but want to see if they're legit and good quality. Don't want them blowing or falling apart after 25,000- 30,000 miles. Still can't believe the low price. Usually you get what you pay for so time will tell with these.

#103 ·
My beater is a 1990 Honda Accord LX with 565,000 miles on it I drive five to six days a week (affectionately known as 'Dirt'), so I'm hoping these don't wear out über-fast; but I'm psyched to get back on a track... I'll just need new tires and I'm in-there-like-swimwear!

I didn't really need to take the worn out OEM dampers off; but I'm sick of the loose and bouncy feeling (... and not being able to compete with the SVT Focus' at the autocrosses).
I should have some strong opinions for both street AND track driving once they're installed!

#101 ·
i barely installed this coils in my 08+ they r stiffer than my last setup but they look good so far so good

#106 ·
Damn... it only took about ten days! I've been freaking out, 'cause the general opinion among autocrossers was that this setup was only good for gettin' low... but now seeing it up close: I'm just gonna do it!

I thought about selling it and looking for konis, KYBs, or QA1s... They kinda even match my car!

Now I just have to find a garage and a helper; more to come...

OOOOOOHH!

#108 ·
wow those look nice, def looking forward to a write up, dose anyone know if they make them for a 2010?

#113 ·
Thanks for the idea and help, Brother!
The weather broke for the weekend so we got moving on step 1 for the install: prepping with Glisten PC.

Here's another pic of the Raceland kit out-of-box as I received it.

The threads were wrapped in small strips of shop towels to avoid damage from wire-hanging them.

The products and materials needed for coating (not pictured: PRE metal cleaner/pre-treatment, popsicle sticks, wire hangers and disposable craft paintbrushes).

Measuring the proper amounts of product and hardener.

Mixing/activating the two chemicals.

Using PRE to 'wash' the dirt and fingerprints off the dampers before coating.

Painting the Glisten PC onto the non-threaded/non moving sections of the front dampers.

A close look at the (still wet) front damper with the Glisten PC applied, you can sort of see brush marks near the tabs and top of the damper.

A good look at the rear damper with freshly applied coating only on the piston side of the piece to illustrate a with/with-out appearance.

The coating will need the better part of a week to dry and then cure. We'll finish the install next weekend (hopefully) provided the weather and schedules work out.

#115 ·
FINALLY!!! I got halfway through installing the fronts and found a torn CV boot... so it took a few weeks saving to get that part in my possession; sorry about the slow response!

Here we go:

Removing the rear springs/shocks

Here's the new spring, reusing the boot/cushion for the top (strut tower), and the height adjuster at the bottom...

Removing the rear strut

Old vs. New comparison

some of the old pieces will need to be reinstalled (collar and bump-stop, there's also a plastic cap for the stock shock but the new ones are sealed)

Placement of the new assembly

Sean: The helpful friend... SHOCKER!

All done! Now to put the wheels back on...

SOOOO happy... the floor jack won't even fit now! I need "The Blue Monster"

I apologize in advance for possibly taking over the review thread, I didn't get a set of instructions with mine and the walk-through threads I found here were helpful, but not as visually descriptive as I'd hoped being inexperienced.
It's this thread that led me to the purchase... OH MAH GOD am I thankful I read this!!!

I've now tested it on wet and dry roads. On a twisty road back from the garage space the install happened, I got a chance to really put 'em to the test: they are amazing. The tight corners were handled with aplomb and nary a hint of sloppiness could be detected, the brakes I replaced now work better, too! There was a minimal change in ride-feel, as this coil-over set is more aggressively tuned than the OEM shocks and Eibach Pro springs I removed to fit these; but that's precisely what I was hoping for... I just need to align it all now!
In wet weather, (I have to credit the front/rear strut tower braces with stiffness that made my car feel unsafe to drive it rain before) the car feels tight and with only an hour's worth of experience in rain with the set, I wasn't about to try hard turns! I need a new set of tires as the current set is three years old and dry-rotted; so if you have fresh shoes it may be a different story for you.

All-in-all, I would recommend this set again, and again if you're in the market. They aren't the most expensive set you can find (and that's why I got them), but the bumpy-ness and harshness I'd read about people fearing: non-existent. If you want to ditch the pillowy handling and crispify your ride, or you were looking at just getting new dampers (like myself); this coil-over set is about equally priced as an upgraded set of shocks... and you can adjust your drop!!! Gotta love that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.