Focus Fanatics Forum banner

High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST

806K views 1K replies 303 participants last post by  Arty 
#1 ·

Come Visit The Ford ST Team At FocusFest 2011:

Enthusiasts of the much-loved SVT Focus, take heart, and start your engines. Ford will deliver on its promise of a high-performance version of the next-generation Focus, previewing a muscular Focus ST at the Paris Motor Show Sept. 30. Targeted for global launch in 2012, ST will be Ford's first high-performance model developed under its global performance vehicles strategy. With its own 2.0-liter EcoBoost™, ST will offer enthusiasts an intoxicating mix of exhilarating performance and handling, not to mention a most addictive sound.

• Exciting new next-generation Ford Focus gears up for Paris launch of full production-ready range of bodystyles together for the first time
  • Global reveal of new high-performance 250 PS Focus ST for 2012 launch
  • New Mondeo and C-MAX ranges on show
  • Ford accelerates efforts to reduce CO2 emissions with high-efficiency Ford ECOnetic Technologies and Electrification feature displays
  • September 30: Alan Mulally and Stephen Odell to unveil the next-generation Focus family at 09.15 on the Ford stand in Hall 1

The exciting new next-generation Ford Focus range is the star attraction in Ford Motor Company's display at the 2010 Paris Motor Show on September 30.

For the first time, the complete global Ford Focus line-up of three production-ready dynamic bodystyles will be displayed together, providing customers with a full insight into this significant new model before it goes on sale in Europe and North America early in 2011.

Ford is also delivering on its promise to introduce a global performance version of the new Focus with a world premiere for the exciting flagship of the range, the muscular 250 PS Focus ST. The dramatic new ST will launch in early 2012 and will be revealed on September 30 at the Ford stand by Alan Mulally, Ford’s President and CEO, and Stephen Odell, Chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe.

First Global Product
The formal launch of the full production-ready Focus range in Paris is highly significant for Ford, as it signals the introduction of the first truly global product developed under the Company’s ONE Ford strategy.

The Focus is Ford's most significant car range globally. Developed at Ford's Global centre of excellence for Small Cars in Germany for sale in over 120 markets worldwide, the next-generation model is the most important Focus yet and is created from Ford Motor Company's new global C segment platform with up to 80 per cent parts commonality around the world. This platform will underpin at least ten vehicles globally and account for some two million units of annual production by 2012.

With the complete range of three bodystyles on display in Paris for the first time – sporty five-door, elegant four-door and stylish wagon – show goers will have an exclusive opportunity to see and experience the car’s individual design and class leading technology first hand.

New Focus promises to outsmart its competitors by offering more affordable technologies and features than customers have ever experienced in this critical vehicle segment. Next-generation Focus also offers customers the highest standards of quality and detailed craftsmanship, plus outstanding fuel economy, and will take the legendary Focus driving dynamics to a new level.

Previewing the exciting new Focus ST
At the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, Ford Motor Company's group vice president for Global Product Development, Derrick Kuzak, promised that an exciting new performance version of the next generation Ford Focus was in development.

At Paris, Ford is delivering on that promise by revealing an early preview model of the exciting next-generation Ford Focus ST. Targeted for launch in all global markets from early 2012, the all-new Ford Focus ST will be Ford's first high-performance model developed under its global Performance Vehicles strategy.

The new range-topping Focus – which features a unique 250 PS version of the new 2.0-litre, four-cylinder Ford EcoBoost engine – will be completely true to Ford's ST heritage, offering driving enthusiasts an intoxicating cocktail of exhilarating performance and handling accompanied by an addictive sound.

Visitors to the Paris display also cannot fail to notice the show car’s highly distinctive sports exterior, which is finished in 'Tangerine Scream', a dramatic new body colour that reflects the new ST’s exciting and energetic character.

New Mondeo and C-MAX on Display
Taking their place alongside the next-generation Focus family will be five-door and wagon versions of the new Mondeo range, which was previewed at the recent Moscow International Automobile Salon. The Paris show sees the debut of the ultra-low CO2 Mondeo ECOnetic version. The Ford stand also showcases the latest S-MAX and Galaxy models which were launched earlier in 2010.

The all-new Ford C-MAX and Grand C-MAX will be represented by high series Titanium models fitted with a Ford EcoBoost 1.6-litre 180 PS petrol engine and the updated 2.0-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel. Bringing new levels of style and desirability to the compact Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV) market, the all-new Ford C-MAX is the first production model using Ford's exciting new global C-segment platform. The Grand C-MAX also goes on sale in North America in late 2011.

Lower CO2 Emissions across the Ford Range
Ford is accelerating its efforts to minimise fuel consumption and CO2 emissions across its product range, and two important new entries to the Ford of Europe product portfolio are being displayed at Paris – a new Ford Mondeo ECOnetic model and a new Ford Ka derivative with standard Ford Auto-Start-Stop system.

These new models follow the significant new developments which have already been introduced during 2010, including the launch of the new high-efficiency Ford EcoBoost turbocharged direct injection petrol engine family and completely updated versions of the powerful yet highly fuel-efficient Duratorq TDCi diesel engines.

Ford is also moving forward with its European electrification program and will be displaying for the first time the core technology destined to drive its C-MAX PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle), that will be produced at the Valencia plant in Spain and is due to go on sale in Europe from 2013.

Along with the wider introduction of low-CO2 Ford ECOnetic Technologies such as Eco Mode and Smart Regenerative Charging, Ford of Europe is on track to surpass its goal of a 30 per cent reduction in CO2 emissions from its new vehicles by 2020, relative to a 2006 model year baseline.

"The launch of the complete new Focus range, plus the global debut of the high-performance ST model, makes this Paris Show not only very exciting for Ford, but also highly significant," said Stephen Odell, Chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe. "With the all-new C-MAX also on the Paris stand, along with the latest Mondeo, S-MAX and Galaxy models, it’s clear that the pace of change within Ford remains as aggressive as ever."

See less See more
1 11
#99 ·
News Flash, not really, we aren't getting the RS. Mark Kauffman said it right at Focus Rising. No RS, call it blasphemy but the truth sucks sometimes.

And MSRP should be $30K when it comes out. Look at the MSRP for the Fiestas for proof on why this one will be so much. The base model Foci will be 24K-26K MSRP. Also remember that's MSRP, I bet when they come out I can walk out of a dealer at $25K if the MSRP is $30K.
Did you mean a base Focus ST would be $24-$26k MSRP? There's absolutely no way a base Focus S (non-ST) would start at $24k. The base model will start right around $17k. An SE (next trim level up) will probably start at $18.5k - $19k. The base Fiesta S starts $13,995. Ford's pricing has to be competitive, especially nowadays. Ford totally rocks but their not BMW.

#100 ·
It is basically the same platform as an MS3. It can't be too much more than the MS3 in price to stay competitive and also not to step on the toes of the mustang sales. I love the front end, the power sounds right, 4 wheel discs, awesome in a hatch! I can't wait to see if we get the Fiesta ST.

#102 ·
+1 for the STI and EVO being overrated. This ST Focus is and was never meant to compete with these. This is a FWD hot hatch, that's it's target. The MS3, Astra VXR (Europe mainly), Renault Clio Sport (Europe mainly), Civic Si, VW GTI and etc. In the US the MS3 is the only real competitor in this price, features and power bracket. The VW R32 is close, but it is AWD and really in the same catagory as the STI/EVO in terms of price.

#108 ·
it needs a different front end in my opinon, i like the rest other than the 2 extra doors in the back..im not crazy thats it EB but im sure it will be fun with 250hp and a 2 speed
that front end is gross. open wide [hihi]

why is everybody building cars with ridiculously large grills/front end? Mazda, GM, Ford, SAAB to name a few. It DOES NOT LOOK GOOD. what happened to aerodynamics? [scream]
I'm surprised more people haven't voiced this opinion. No one else thinks that front end is WAY too much? It has a giant, gaping maw. Honestly the car doesn't do that much for me. Maybe if/when I drive one my mind would be changed, but I certainly don't like it enough to consider ditching the car I have now, or my plans to buy a 5.0 in a year or two. Frankly the looks seem to be writing a check it's performance won't be able to cash.

I liked the SVT because it was subtle, only those who were in the "know" could see a difference, it had a European flair. This thing still looks like a Toyota Venza to me. [dunno]

#109 ·
I got over 36 years of driving in the real world with all the idiots on the street. Driving in a controlled environment with semi.skilled/skilled drivers is a cakewalk in comparison. As for the last 15 years as a field tech driving in all weather extremes with over 3 million drivers, my 8 year old FWD SVTF has got me out of more trouble than any STi or evo could. Not ready for the new focus yet though.

#294 ·
You guys that are comparing the Evo and STI to a Focus SVT are insane. I'm sorry.

I have owned (2) 2003 Focus SVT's now. I *LOVE* the cars. Very fun, great handling etc.

We are also on our 3rd Evo. 1 was a 2003, and the last two have been 2006 MR versions. At this time, we still have both 1 SVT and 1 Evo IX MR. I have 20 years experience driving 120 miles day as well as driving both the SVT and EVO daily.

The SVT is a great car. The Evo is in a completely different league and should not be compared to an SVT. It is a factory built race car with neutral handling, incredibly easy to drive at it's limits, and insane power. It's not fun to drive every day to work however, because it's an animal, loud, harsh ride, etc. But it is a drivers car at $35k.

Again the SVT can't be beat at the price point it was at. But it is no Evo.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/0601_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y6lIaGZA4w

#111 ·
$30K is what I'm betting on. $27K at the very least is what it will be but I'm betting high at $30K. Some of that is based on a survey I just took along with a few others that were present at Focus Rising and from what I've seen it's not gonna be cheap.

Posted via FF Mobile So pretty much its Kens fault if its expensive....free Ken beatings at the next focus rising meet! Like others said, it has to be competative with other hot hatches, at least in base model form. Of course Ford could always have it have very limited options and pretty much be fully loaded and sell it for a high price because they think no one is going to buy one and theyll release them in limited numbers to try to make profit....ill still blame Ken. [;)]

#112 ·
Its different thats for sure!

No matter what the SVT focus is allready a classic .! I will hang on to my mint 03 and enjoy old school tuning. Also don't get me wrong the new tech is nice and it will be a front runner in the new compact car wars thats for sure! FORDTEC OUT! [popcorn]

#113 ·
the rs is in evo and sti territory.. the st is to compete with mazdaspeed 3, lancer ralliart, subaru wrx, srt4, civic si, nissan setra se-r spec v...

it has more spec in common with the mazdaspeed 3 and srt4 though. maybe wrx even though thwe wrx feels soft... but we all know it will only be available in front wheel drive....

in a article i read the next rs woud be awd... then it could compete with the evo and the soft sti.

#114 ·
One more thing about the "snout" -- someone on thetruthaboutcars.com pointed out pedestrian safety regulations. I hadn't thought of that, this is a "global" car and as such must meet the more stringent pedestrian safety rules that are now in place in Europe. Still... geez put an airbag in the grille or something instead of making such weirdly-proportioned front-end styling.

#115 ·
there is no way this car can start at 30k. it CANNOT. i could not pass a subaru wrx for this for about 5 grand less. i say base msrp will be about $23K-$25k and even $25k is quite pushing it... it had better be damn near fully loaded for $25k. besides, its ugly. i hope the fiesta ST offers more look for less coin!

#116 ·
I don't know guys... I dont think this thing gives off a "Focus" vibe... I drive an 02 sedan, and I like the look of the triangle headlights with markers in the grill... Honestly, the 05-07 models are alright IMO, But the 08+ just kills me to look at... And this new one, well... to be honest, it reminds me of a fish... It just looks like ford was copying trends that other companies are setting in style and design, which is a shame... they had something awesome with the original design, and I think they just threw it in the gutter and tried again from scratch... All in all, this thing just doesn't give me that "focus" feel, which is a bit dissapointing... although I do like the 250hp Eco-boost engine... Maybe i will just wait till the engine and trans are available online and swap it into my 02... I feel a project coming on...

Words from a focus noob.. .dont hate on it, this things is just a bit too fishy for my tastes...
Oh, and don't even get me started on those tail lights... WTF was ford smokin when they designed that s**t

#120 ·
luckily, i think this is a pre production preview model. meaning not quite a concept but its close to what we'll actually see. some details may be MIA when it starts to roll off production lines, like the wheels, the tail pipe, color change, etc. the back reminds me too much of a stretched dodge caliber SRT4 the front reminds me of a knock off Fisker Karma on crack. im rather unimpressed with the style and thats dissapointing but then again, i didnt really jive with the standard 2012 ford focus either

#132 ·
yeah. it is time for them to step up to the plate.

take VW for instance.

the regular Golf comes with about 170hp

The Golf GTI is at 200 hp (VW says off the record its 220)

so, a plain jane Golf comes with some pretty good hp. also start around 17K

#137 ·
new ST... i like the front, but not the back end...
i feel like the tail failed the whole car...
i will take the Euro Mk2 facelift ST anyday, even with the weaker engine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.