Focus Fanatics Forum banner

turn off lights auto when turn off car

26K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  1slofofo 
#1 ·
hi

i have ford focus 2012 model and when i turn off the car and the lights are in auto model the lights are not turn off and stay on..

how can i automatically turn off the lights after X seconds when i turn off the car and automatically turn on the lights when i turn on the car?

note that in my previous chevy cruze it was possible..

thanks alot

#2 ·
Unless there is something wrong with your car it is supposed to turn the headlamps off as soon as you turn the car off when left in auto mode.

Mine has always shut off as soon as I turned the car off.

#3 ·
I am sure your lights go off after 20 seconds after you turn your car off. It is a setting in your Sync main screen you should check and change to 0 so that the lights turn off when the car is turned off.

#4 ·
hi

my lights mode were on auto and when i turn off the car i wait about more than 60 seconds (about 100 seconds and the lights didnt turned off)

where can i change that the lights turend off after car turn off after 0 seconds? maybe it will solve my program...

by the way is there any chance to do that even if the lights are on "Always On mode" that if i turn off my car the lights will also turn off?

thanks alot

#7 ·
If you leave the lights on manual all the time it will stay on for the 15+ minute delay or whenever the accessories have their power removed in order to preserve battery power, therefore its not a good idea to use this.

#6 ·
hi ,

in my country we need to turn on the lights even in the day (its a law)

therefore i want that the lights will always turn on..

1. So is there any chance to do that even if the lights are on "Always On mode" that if i turn off my car the lights will also turn off?

2. also you said that there is a option to set the delay of the lights..how can i get to this option?

thanks alot

#8 ·
The U.S. Focus is not equipped with daylight running lights (DRL - lights that stay on during the day). There is considerable discussion here as to whether or not the BCM can be reset to turn on the DRL feature in our cars without modification to hardware. If you want DRLs there are several options out there, including modifying your fog lights to run of an ignition on power source so they will turn on/off with your ignition key. It is a minor wiring cut/reconnect but should be done carefully by someone who is knows how. You could get a Canadian Focus too - DRLs are required there.

#9 ·
What trim level do you have? Do you even have Sync? I set mine by using the control on the left side of the steering wheel and going in to the settings on the screen between the gauges. Mine doesn't have a setting for 0 seconds. The lowest I can go is 20 seconds. If you have your owner's manual look in there.

#16 ·
I have explained it as plainly as I can in my previous post.

Step one: Turn the car off.

Step two: pull the turn signal/ dipped beam switch towards you (this should be on the left side of the steering wheel if its laid out like the lhd cars) until you hear a chime.

This enables the pre-programmed delay to leave the head lamps on for 3 minutes with the door open or 30 seconds after the doors are closed. This is to allow you to have an illuminated path to your home.

If you want to disable it I believe the proceedure outlines pulling the stalk forward again or turning the ignition on and off.

This will only keep the lights on for a set period after turning the car off, this won't turn them back on if it is not already dark when you turn the car on.

#17 ·
on your steering wheel, you should have a button that says okay and has arrows. use the arrows to select the menu. then select headlights. then you can set the delay for up to 20 seconds or not at all. i just set mine for 20 seconds. mine used to be set for 0.

The U.S. Focus is not equipped with daylight running lights (DRL - lights that stay on during the day). There is considerable discussion here as to whether or not the BCM can be reset to turn on the DRL feature in our cars without modification to hardware. If you want DRLs there are several options out there, including modifying your fog lights to run of an ignition on power source so they will turn on/off with your ignition key. It is a minor wiring cut/reconnect but should be done carefully by someone who is knows how. You could get a Canadian Focus too - DRLs are required there.
incorrect sir. my car was equipped with DRL's. US built, but with Canadian setup as my car was previously a rental car. I had a technician at the Ford dealer I work at go into the BCM and turn the feature off. Took him about 40 minutes and my headlights are no longer on all the time.

#18 ·
on your steering wheel, you should have a button that says okay and has arrows. use the arrows to select the menu. then select headlights. then you can set the delay for up to 20 seconds or not at all. i just set mine for 20 seconds. mine used to be set for 0.

incorrect sir. my car was equipped with DRL's. US built, but with Canadian setup as my car was previously a rental car. I had a technician at the Ford dealer I work at go into the BCM and turn the feature off. Took him about 40 minutes and my headlights are no longer on all the time.
I meant a Focus built to the US market and not a fleet vehicle. Along the border there are a number of cars built to Canadian specs.

#22 ·
hi

thanks it works the light mode were on maunal...now it turn off after 20 seconds however it works only when light is on auto mode...is there any way to do that the lights will turn off also when the lights mode is on turn on all time?

also, where is located the light sensor? maybe i will stay with auto light mode and i will cover the light sensor..(if there is no solution for the first problem)

(i want that the lights will turn on in day also)

thanks alot

#23 ·
light sensor is at base of windshield in the center, it's a little bump in the dashboard.

Putting a piece of thin cardboard or paper usually works. Taping it would hold it in place better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.