Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Alternator installation

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Reefmonster 
#1 ·
I'm trying to replace the alternator in a 2002 ZX3. It was a real pain getting it out once it was unbolted, but I managed it thanks to these forums.

Problem: To get it off the bracket I used a screwdriver and crowbar. it worked...but I was lucky to get my core! Anyway, I'm having trouble getting it on the bracket now without using any tools that could damage the new alternator. Any tricks or advice?

#2 ·
what I did was file down the bracket just a tiny tiny bit in order to get the alternator to slip back on. I've done this on a few focuses and have seen no ill effects.

If you have a dremel sand down the face on the belt side of the bracket around the bolt holes. You don't have to take much off at all. Just enough to get the alternator to slip snuggly on the bracket without having to force it on. If you don't have a dremel you can use a file or sandpaper. The sandpaper will take the longest obviously.

#4 ·
Still no luck :( I should be doing all this in reverse right? So would that mean I should line up the rear bolt first? I just don't see how that would allow room to rotate and align the front bolt. I'm guessing its probably aligning both at once that is the trick, I just can't seem to figure out how. It sounds like it is commonly a problem to do this, does anyone else have any experience at this? If its not an alignment issue, but a forcing that sucker on there issue, what are some ways I can get leverage without harming the alternator or other parts? Somebody help PLEASE!

#5 ·
Every alternator I've put on a focus was just like this. That's why I suggested shaving off just enough material on the bracket to allow the alternator to slip on the bracket. It's almost as if it's a press fit.

Unless you have a really long pry bar and some blocking I can't see around this. By that I mean block out from the firewall and pry against that on the alternator.

I know it sucks, I was in your position at one time. The very first time I changed an alternator years ago on a focus it took two days because I couldn't figure out a way to press the alternator back on to the bracket. Finally it hit me to just smooth off some of the bracket and the sucker slipped right on.

Once you have it on the bolts torqued down will hold it in place. I wouldn't suggest it if it hadn't worked numerous times. [:D]

#7 ·
Thanks tiresmoker. I think I'm about at that point now. Pinkhandcuffs, I got it out from behind the engine by taking out the three front engine mounts, jacking the engine on a block of wood, and wedging the engine toward the front of the car. Then I took off the piece of metal bolted to the engine lifting eye (not sure if that's essential). It was still a pain to get out after all that.

#8 ·
I finally got it without having to file anything. The alternator has sleeves in the holes where the bolts go. Screw the bolt through the hole with a little hanging out. Then hammer the bolthead until the bushing goes far enough into the recess. That's it. It went on no problem. And it only took me three days to figure this out!

#9 ·
way easier to do it from underneath.
remove oil filter, undo belt and the long bolt from the top (may not come out completely). back underneath take out the two bolts for the alt mount you can get at and loosen the other. rotate the bracket with the alt on it, hold alt with one hand and pop loose from bracket with a screwdriver. lower it down, push the rack shield against the rack and remove alt betweem rack and passenger side axle. reverse to assemble

know i forgot steps, but those are the essential ones.

#11 ·
I've done them before in a couple focus's at work... Think thats bad?? try down a V6 Mazda tribrute.. loosen two engine craddle bolts and remove the axle on passenger side. and then the actually altanator bracket !! have another guy rocking the engine forward with a breaker bar and it barley slide out of the wheel well :eek:( the crap i do for a living sucks!!

#13 ·
FIRST, I want to thank Focus Fanatics for bailing me out of another jam.

I worked on getting the damn alternator out for 2 days. Found the thread that said to move the motor mount. Well, still couldn't get it, so I un-bolted the engine hoist loop and it slid right out of the top.

Well, getting it in has been a HUGE pain in the ass. I am on day number 2 when I found a link to this thread.

I will tell all of you this: WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR NEW ALTERNATOR OUT OF THE BOX, GRIND THE SPACER FOR THAT LOWER BOLT!!!

I'm not kidding. I have been prying, banging, loosening, reinstalling the damn thing for 2 more days. Guess what, did the grinding, and the thing fell RIGHT INTO PLACE!!!! DONE!!!

I will say the following:

This is the DUMBEST alternator install I have done in a LONG time. I will NEVER buy another car without looking at where parts are installed. I am sick and tired of wasting time and having to over think for what should be a simple in and out process. I guarantee I can now do this in under 2 hours, now that I know what I can take out, hammer flat, cut down, etc...

I can't wait to trade this damn thing.

But, for all you good Focus Fanatics, I definitely thank you for helping me get my commuter back on the road.

#14 ·
5 year old thread...lol, but these are good ones to keep around and bump every once and awhile.

I'm not sure why everyone has to grind anything. Take the passenger side motor mount out, and put a floor jack under the motor. You can then move the motor around easily enough to get it in/out/in.

#15 ·
Getting it out is not the hard part for me...Getting it back onto the mounting piece is a pain in the A$$! Some shop offered to do it for $100...I so should have taken them up on it. All I did to get mine out was watch the video on Youtube from 1A auto...

Ford Focus 2002 Alternator removal and install

Getting it back on is a pain and I'm going to try sanding the nipple....

#16 ·
You guys should go back a few posts and read. There is absolutely no need to grind anything. The alternator bosses have pressed in inserts that you simply tap on with hammer to open them up to fall right on bracket, the bolts then pull them back tight around bracket when bolt tightened up............to get alt loose quick, work at it with crowbar strategically placed to force the inserts open and alt falls right out. With insert knocked out there is easily 1/8th inch looseness there.

#18 ·
I don't do video...............self-explanatory if you simply look at the alt. The threads for attaching bolts to go through are in steel inserts that are pressed into the aluminum bosses, in tight but move sideways with enough force. Tightening the bolt pulls them up tight to pinch the bracket hard, when taking alt off you must push them back out so the bosses loosen up to let alt simply fall out. I use visegrips to press them sideways. Or thread bolt partially into hole and then tap on bolt head itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.