Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2005 ZX4 ST build

15K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  PittsburghZX4ST 
#1 · (Edited)
First, I'd like to say Hey everyone!
This is my first post and I hope I'm doing everything right.

Some quick info on the car..
-2005 Zx4 ST
-88,000 miles
-manual

I picked up my Zx4 ST after a bad accident. I just bought it to have a car while I fixed my Eclipse, but ended up selling the Eclipse because I was so pleased with my newly acquired hot rod. [hihi]
About a month ago, I decided I wanted to start doing some work to it.

At first I wanted to do just cosmetic stuff. (Interior lights, Caliper paint, tinted windows/tail lights) But then I found this site and everyone seemed so cool and devoted towards their Focus that it kinda motivated me.

I'm not sure if anyone would like updates but I will be definitely putting some cash into my ST. So if you guys would wanna see some updates with pictures and stuff I'd be glad to provide.

Ignore the extremely dirty Rims..

Currently All I have installed is a K&N FIPK performance wise, but any recommendation of what you think/would want to see done I will consider.

What I plan on doing so far in order (probably)

- ̶A̶u̶t̶o̶l̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶1̶0̶4̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶
-W̶i̶n̶d̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶i̶n̶t̶/̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶
-starfuryt550's interior light swap
-2.5" exhaust (not sure on brand yet)
-Balance shaft delete
-Suspension lowering kit (coilovers?)/New wheels/20 or 30 mm wheel spacers
-stress bar/front and rear sway bars
-Slotted rotors (maybe)
-Engine mounts
-Cam gears
-Tune
-New paint job maybe?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks everyone. This weekend I'm definitely doing the windows and maybe some painting.

I was seriously considering it. Do you think it's worth it since it already has 90,000+ miles on it? I'm just worried it could potentially damage the engine.

#4 ·
[welcome] to FF [ffrocks]

Love the ST's, too bad it's not an SAP. Good list of mods so far, FSWERKS has a good selection of performance parts for the 2.3, also check out Steeda and C-F-M and if you need any OEM parts or anything else, hit up Steve at Tousley!

Happy modding!

#10 ·
Okay, so this weekend I wanted to get some of the things on my list done, so I went out and got my window tint finally. I ended up going with Viper tint at 17%.

Here it is, before the tint..

And After...

I think it turned out pretty nice. I had it done at a place right in Pittsburgh/Monroville.
(I was going to do it myself, but I haven't ever done it before and didn't want to mess up.)

After doing that I went and tinted my side markers. I think it really made the car stand out...Debating on going out and grabbing some clear ones too to see how those compare. But for now these ones will do.

Here's a few pics of that.

After taking these pictures on my iPhone I realized I need to invest into a real camera..lol

I also went ahead and replaced the spark plugs with Autolite 104's. That was all for this weekend, looking to maybe do the exhaust next weekend.

Thanks everyone who is keeping up with this thread, more to come!

#12 ·
Awesome man!! What part of the burgh you from? I'm originally from McKeesport. I cruise back up from time to time to visit family. We should meet up!! We do alot of cruising around up there during the summertime.

#16 ·
I'm from Bridgeville. Kinda near the Robinson area. and we should definitely do that. I've been looking for some Focus friends in the Pittsburgh area. haha

good luck with your build. i currently have cai, 2.5" exhaust and tune for performance, car lowered on eibachs 1.75" drop.

i do have obx exhaust manifdold and flex pipe to install in early spring and gotta buy stage 2 cams and change springs/retainers too. with these mods its good amount of power.
Yeah, hopefully I can get it all done before mid summer. Have you done the Balance shaft delete yet?

Nice clean ST. Amazing how much better a car can look with tints. Keep up the good work!

-sbc
Thanks man. I was definitely suprised by how much better it looked too. haha [hihi]

Wow the tint makes a huge difference! 17%, how random [rofl]
Yah, the place I went to had some weird numbers. it was either 17% or 4% and that was too low for me so I went for the second darkest.

#13 ·
good luck with your build. i currently have cai, 2.5" exhaust and tune for performance, car lowered on eibachs 1.75" drop.

i do have obx exhaust manifdold and flex pipe to install in early spring and gotta buy stage 2 cams and change springs/retainers too. with these mods its good amount of power.

#17 ·
Within the next few weeks I'm going to try and do my interior light swap from starfuryt550. Just waiting to see when/if he will have the Red LEDs. =D
Probably won't get much else done this weekend, maybe try plasti-dipping a few things.

Thanks everyone!

#18 ·
Completely forgot to update this thread....It's been so damn cold up here in PA, I haven't been able to do much.

I do have a question if anyone can answer this...
Would there be any way that the SAP would fit onto my 05 Focus st? I've been wanting to upgrade the look a little, but don't know too much about the kit itself, or where to find it. (I've heard it's hard to find)

Probably gonna start this thread back up in a couple weeks, seeing as I do actually have a TON of stuff to do.

Thanks guys and gals,

-Evan

#21 ·
It worth it if you can find a used set but they are very rare. But if you have the money for brand new bumpers well why not ;)? Will look very nice. Some body kits cost less than the oem SAP and can look very good too. Depends of your tastes ;)

#23 ·
Sap bumpers appears in the BST section every once in a while... Buying it from the dealer is not worth it imo unless you have expendable cash at your disposal. Although for $1000 I would either buy coilovers or a nice set of 17" wheels with tires.

#25 ·
I plan on doing it, I'm just a little worried about the added noise. I probably will pick up some better Mounts and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Sap bumpers appears in the BST section every once in a while... Buying it from the dealer is not worth it imo unless you have expendable cash at your disposal. Although for $1000 I would either buy coilovers or a nice set of 17" wheels with tires.
Yeah, It's at the bottom end of my list for sure, This summer I'll pick up some rims and do coilovers. Found a nice Eibach set I'll probably be ordering soon.

I'm just a little worried about the adjusting portion of it.

#27 ·
I would recommend FSWerks for most of the parts you have listed. The BSD doesn't really make any noise or extra vibrations, and the mounts only vibrate when the a/c is on (that WAS all 3 poly-mounts as well)

#33 ·
Finally some nice weather today in good ol' Pittsburgh!

Grabbed a couple of pics of the focus today. Dirty, needs a good wash.

I painted the door inserts, but they came out reallllyyyy maroon. Not sure how I feel about them painted like that. Thinking about using some CF vinyl and wrapping them to match the radio bezel. Either that or color matching it as close as I can to the seat colors. Once I figure out what color I want, I'm gonna do the bezels for the air vents the same.

Also sorry for the crappy iPhone pics. I'm getting a good camera soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.