Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#2,380 ·
WHEN i go thru a drive thru car wash, it has never affected my dipped wheels...
i prefer to wash by hand, but when i don't, i make sure its a TOUCH FREE wash with no guide rails.
i have had decent luck with them.
it should hold up unless there is already a nick or blemish in the dip itself. then it would just peel it with the water jets...

#2,381 ·
Auto washes have never damaged my wheels or gas cap that are dipped. the one in town don't haver guide rails and is touch free. so yes plastidip holds up. 5 coats on my wheels 4 on the cap.

#2,392 ·
that's what i'll be doing as well. painting black over the dip and clearing it. gotta get my dip thicker though. ah what the hell they are stock wheels and they won't matter when i get new ones, except for winter wheels.

#2,394 ·
Posted via FF Mobile
Hey im shure this has been anwsered but dose this come off when u get new tires from them mountin and balenceing

#2,397 ·
99% of the time, yes it will come off. If your entire wheel is dipped(including the weights) - a tire shop will pull the weights off(with a good portion of the dip). Even getting a tire replaced will likely end up in them ripping the dip.

I had to get a flat repaired on my dipped stock wheels. When I went in to get it back the service manager came up to me and was real apologetic and said that somehow his staff ruined my wheel. I was like wtf man, how did you do that? So he showed me my wheel and I just started laughing and went up to the wheel and pulled the rest off the dip of in one shot. The manager had a confused look on his face and said what is that? I had to explain to him what plastidip is.

#2,400 ·
lol same here i had that happen, the head mechanic looked pissed. question before i actually do it. Can i clear coat over regular dip or do i need to spray paint over the dip before i can put a clear gloss on it? my wheels have been dipped for a few months and they collect dirt like a sponge so i'm trying to get rid of the tack of the dip, and i want a shine lol.

#2,401 ·
i actually just cleared mine the other day , looks dope man , just make sure u tape off your tires real nice , i got a little on there and it looks like a permanant tire shine spot lol , also it hardens it up a bit , id assume its a little stronger now cause its smooth instead of rubbery

#2,405 ·
yeah i know man i'm just asking if i can put it over dip instead of another coat of dip, couple of paint then couple of clear. it's prob what i'll do anyways, just thought i'd ask.

#2,406 ·
Pretty simple: Dip whatever your going to dip, than paint over it. If you need to remove than you will still be able to. BTW clearcoat is a paint, so if you just want to add a shine to your part that is dipped than just clear it and you won't have any problems(as long as the part is properly dipped)

#2,413 ·
Heres what i decided to do , i also have the SVT bumper plasti-dipped black which is not seen in the picture. I plan on getting the whole car painted next spring but for now i think it looks decent . Reason i did this is becuase i purchased the svt front and rear and they were black ... so i decided to blend them in more with plasti dip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.