Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#2,326 ·
Was intetested in those tails, but like others have said.. They do break up the "lines" on a focus...
But I am not one to knock on "being different". Hell take a look at my build thread. I love being different. So a+. Nice rs wing. Can't wait til you get the mid on.i got one with a cf whale tail

Just my 2 cents, some lamin-x / nightshade might do wonders. Very lightly tinted, but like I said, just my opinion

#2,328 ·
i did the plasti-dip to make sure i would like the wing in black, which i do so the plan is to put mid wing on there and paint both gloss black with same paint used to do headlights and other things i painted.....on the tails, i wouldnt waste the money, i have 5 leds that do not light up. they look great at night when everything worked, and i have been wanting to tint them to kinda tone down the nasty chrome lol. these r plenty bright to put a good tint and still be legally visible

#2,336 ·
adhesive remover wont harm your paint, i have used it after rmoving large decals with no adverse effect whatsoever. You just cant let it sit on the painted surfce for a long period of time. Also after using it be sure to wax the area where you applied any adhesive remover, as it will remove the wax

adhesive remover also work wonders with removing rubber marks after a track day or race weekend [thumb]

#2,337 ·
Gonna plastidip my interior. The dash, doorpanels, hatch area......the whole thing. Don't like the light gray. Want it all black. Plan to to do 4-5 coats so should be very durable. Had started the color change using SEM black paint and while it looks good the SEM is not the most durable.

#2,341 ·
Post a few pics of my plastic dip'd rides..

My 2000 SVT Lightning
Grilles emblems and wheels dip'd black

My 2008 BMW
Grilles emblems and wheels also dip'd black

2010 Scion tC
Grilles emblems and a front stripe on the bumper

Pics are posted from my phone so sorry if any are small.. It's hard to tell if they are small on the phone lol..

#2,356 ·
Definitely not permanent. Bit you can get alot.of life out of it depending on where it is used. Wish it would peel off my roof but it won't. That crap is on there good. Having to take adhesive remover to it to get it off lol.

#2,361 ·
I did my hood scoop and made a stripe. I doubled up the tape and kept removing the top layer to prevent peeling when it dried. It still caught the edges when I removed the layer underneath. I had a roll of pinstriping, so I applied that on the edges to prevent anymore damage. I had it looking good, then for whatever reason the last coat looks a little crappy. If it looks okay this morning, I'll leave it as is. If not, I may spray some satin or matte black over the dip to match the front lip. The car is 11 years old, so any imperfections really don't bother me that much. Well, they do a little bit.

#2,387 ·
It's off just a little. The pic looks worse than it is. ( cuz I just went out with a tape measure ) Are you suggesting all plasti dip ? I did my daughters whole car and it was tough to get large surfaces to blend smoothly. I really don't wanna go in that direction.
It is hard to get it to blend smoothly without a gun. I was just suggesting that you paint the scoop red. The scoop looks good color matched.

#2,363 ·
I had it taped off like that at first. It just didn't look good. The stripe was way too wide. I tried all different patterns. The full width stripe looks great on a Mustang with the Roush scoop. Our hoods are too narrow. I had it tapered towards the grill too, that didn't flow either.

#2,365 ·
has anyone really plasti dipped there like entire car? my paint is shot and i was thinking of taking a unique looking route by using plastidip,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.