Focus Fanatics Forum banner

About to swap SPI to Zetec

15K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Dnap420 
#1 ·
Ok...

I read as much as I could about the SPI to Zetec swap... So here it goes.

List of stuff I got:

01 Zetec 71K

01 Zetec Harness that goes from ECU to engine and fuel pump

01 ECU with Key

01 Passkey module - i thinks this is for the factory alarm or something

Left Motor Mount

TB to MAF tube

Anyone know if the power steering pump from spi will work?
Anyone know if the alternator from spi will work?
Exhaust manifold is different. Anyone know where to get a Header for an 01 SE zetec for less than 200?
I heard the AC compressor is different so I am gonna get one.

Anyone have any suggestions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am taking my time on this, there is no hurry but I would like to have it done within a month.

Thanks,
Joe

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
SPI to Zetec Swap Augmentation

You can use the same AC compressor; you just have to remove and rotate the clutch 90 degrees. However, I find it best to use a new hose assembly to the compressor.

You will need two keys from the old PCM, if you want to program the keys that fit your existing ignition yourself.

If you use your SPI transmission, you will have to have the SPI gear ratio programmed into the Zetec PCM.

You will also need the coolant hoses and the little pipe that mounts above the radiator.

A new power steering pump and line to the rack is required.

The Zetec also requires a different cat converter & flex pipe.

You will also need a new throttle cable and the positive battery cable to the starter, which goes on to the alternator on the Zetec.

You mentioned the main harness, but you also need the engine harness and the transmission harness. The engine harness may have come with the Zetec, but you will find that the transmission harness between a SPI & Zetec are different (i.e. crankshaft position sensor, O2 sensors, etc.).

The vacuum line to the power brakes is also different.
You will need the small vacuum lines that connect to the intake manifold.
Also the fuel line to rail hose assembly is different.

You will need a new alternator.

In additon to the passenger side motor mount, you also need the bracket that it bolts to.

That's all I can think of for now. I've done 3 of these and have parts in the garage for 2 more. Let me know if you run into any problems.[ffrocks]

#3 ·
I didn't do nothing to my computer for my zetec swap when I use my spi trany and it shifts fine and their part numbers are the same for eithr engine if you try to order a new one

#6 ·
you have to use the zetec computer cuz that controls the zetec motor. i researched it and the trans are the same and everyone told me no there not the same but if you try to order a new one for either engine it gives same part number sdame exact commponet. i used my spi trans and car runs 100% perfect shifts smooth just like it did before the swap. you have any questions on your swap pm me.

#5 ·
Cant wait to get the car running. I put a 5K stereo in it right before it died. Also new exhaust from manifold back and new tires. Whole car was Dynamat for the sound system also. Then 2 weeks later it dies. I wonder if my bass had anything to do with the valve seat dropping. My car hit over 142 dbs on the meter.

#7 ·
i used zetec ac compressor and lines but flipping it 180 degrees may work.
starters are the same
some ps pumps are same mine wasnt you need the whole harness from fuel pump forward, runs down passenger side to fender well into engine bay. halfway there it goes under passenger seat to shifter.
also need zetec trany harness that goes to o2 sensors an trans.
exhaust manifold and flex pipe
air intake tube but boxes are same
passenger motor mount and the black stand it mount to
someone told me the fuel line that goes from fire wall to engine is needed i got one but they looked the same
high pressure power steering line that runs across front of engine
heater core hoses (i just pluged the T and extended my hose with some heater hose from oriellys
youll need the throttle cable and cruise cable their both diff, cruise may work with mod to braket but throttle wont. its super easy to change it
grab extra bell housing bolts from donor car zetec uses more than spi.
Also some people say trans wont work but i researched them and part numbers are same so i took the risk and tried mine it works and shifts perfect so you shouldnt have any problems using yours just make sure you for sure change that trans harness the spi and zetec are 2 pins different in wiring so it could have all the wires in diff spots that harness also needs to be from about same year car cuz newer ones use diff power steering pumps and have diff connectors and more wires.

Thats all i can think of right now any other questions shoot me a message
i tried to pm you but mine wont work

#13 ·
Thanks but, I got the OBX header and downpipe.

Went to drop in the motor today and the Flexplate off my SPI aut did not fit on the Zetec motor that was connected to an AUTO.

The bolt holes lined up but the bolts on the zetec crank for the flexplate were bigger than the ones on the SPI crank for flexplate.

Seems like the flexplates are different.

Can someone verify this?

IS the torque converter the same?

Thanks,
Joe

#15 ·
Everything is going smooth except, I had to get a new flexplate because the SPI flexplate is different than the Zetec. The torque converter is the same but there is some kind of crank position sensor on the engine that sees humps on the flexplate and the SPI flexplate does not have them. Also the SPI flexplate uses smaller bolts to hold it to the crank.

Question, on the SPI there was a shim behind the flexplate, but when I went to the junkyard and got the Zetec flexplate it was already off the engine so I did not get a shim. Does the Zetec have a small circular shin behind the flexplate?????

Thanks

Joe

#16 ·
Question, on the SPI there was a shim behind the flexplate, but when I went to the junkyard and got the Zetec flexplate it was already off the engine so I did not get a shim. Does the Zetec have a small circular shin behind the flexplate?????

Thanks

#18 ·
I found a 65mm TB on ebay for $250

Also a TB spacer $85

would it be worth it for either of these?

Should I do both or one of them?

Looking for as much power as possible

Have OBX header and K&N intake
MSD coil / Massive plug wires and Accel Silver plugs

Going to get a tune as soon as Im done here.

Thanks,
Joe

#22 ·
Motors in and runs good.

It does idle a little rough around I'm guessing 600-700 rpm but any thing over about 900 rpm it is smooth as silk.
Any ideas???

We are putting on a new IAC tomorrow and hopefully that helps.

We checked for vacuum leaks and found none. Its not terrible at idle but it does make your hands shake and as soon as you give it a touch more throttle it is smooth.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#23 ·
my car did that before the swap it was the passenger side motor mount. its liquid filled mount and all the liquid or oil whatever it is leaked out. took us forever to figure out that what it was

#26 ·
to tell if it was bad i pushed down on mount while it was running and vibration stopped. but if you pull it out flip it over the edge will be pulled up away from it an flexes more than it should. new ones like 40 bucks at oriellys life time warrenty

#27 ·
oh and engine bay looks great. i bought long tube header but still havent put it on. didnt wanna do right away so i could work out bugs if any. and i got a short ram intake i need to put on too.... i buy too many parts and let them sit lmao i have a stack of brand new shit for my mustang i bought 6 months ago.. but those got put on hold cuz like 3 days later the motor let go in focus so i guess thats why haha but looks great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.