Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#1,054 ·
Started White Plasti Dipping the Euros. These wheels are definitely 2 cans per wheel...and thats before doing a gloss clear coat.

In short...2 wheels done with three cans for a first coat. Like a woman and a few beers....they look great from afar...but when you get close....they look far from good lol.

You can see when the spray begins to dry; where it wasnt evenly applied or not enough applied. Looks pitted like...surprise....plastic lol. So I am thining this last can I have, the fourth can, will be used to apply another thinner coat to fill in these spots.

The pitting is on the inside of the spokes where its really hard to get that nice even coat, without have runs from too much spray. It's a little bit of a pain in the a$$ with these spokes so close.

But overall; thinking about 8-9 cans for the four euro wheels. Then probably about the half of that amount for a good couple coats of clear on each wheel. So figure about ~$150 to do some Euro's correct; possibly $180 if you need more clear. At this point...I'd rather go spend 50-75 with someone that clear coats wheels for you....thats if you have a "friend" in that business.

I do have an extra wheel that I can do some tests on. Going to see how the bronze and metal flake clears look against white. So I have to order some more cans before I can do all that.

Should I start a new thread with the results on painting Euro's with White Plasti Dip as well as the variations of clear on that spare wheel?

Really looking forward to having the Euros finished and having both sets of white wheels. But who knows...maybe the bronze or metallic clear flake will make me have something different with the Euros...

mmmmm....white shoes on sonic blue.

White Wheels by TCP Tim Connolly Photography, on Flickr

Camera Phone pic taken today while hunting for clear dip on a retail shelf....yea I was dreaming lol.

#1,055 ·
Shout I start a new thread with the results on painting Euro's with White Plasti Dip as well as the variations of clear on that spare wheel?
Nah, just post it here!

#1,067 ·
How does everyone clean their wheels that are plastidipped? Has anyone tried normal wheel cleeners, tire shiners or regular armorall? I gave the car a bath yesterday but didnt have time to properly clean the wheels.

Figured I'd ask to see if any products are recommended or if anything might have an adverse effect on them.

#1,082 ·
According to TukaniSVT there is a ACE here in Houston that has the Blue rattle can... Got him on a errand run for me. ^_^

#1,087 ·
it is a very flat matte clear. your much better off just putting more layers of black plastidip. and just a fyi for everyone. the thicker you put on the plastidip the better. it helps it to be removed easier when it comes time and it protects better

#1,094 ·
or you can do like i do...considering it is for your rims im assuming? but anyways, its almost like a rubber substance and a cheap way to make it glossy is to spray your entire wheel with tire-wet or whatever brand you like when you do the walls of your tires, coat the rims too and it actually gives it a glossy look that lasts at least a week (depending on the terrain you are driving on clearly)

#1,100 ·
Just got back home from being out of town. The white wheels look great. Weird texture to this stuff lol. And its cool that it peels off the rubber that easy. Looking forward to spraying the last two wheels and then testing the metalizers and glossifier on an extra wheel to see how they look on white. Ill even show how they look on black. Going to be one funky looking wheel lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.