Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Horrible misfire

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  JoeGrzesiak 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new here and have searched for a solution, but couldn't find much.
A couple days ago I was driving and it started to jerk, like when my coil pack was bad. So I replaced the plugs, wires, fuel treatment stuff, and a fuel filter. I just got a new coil pack and now I've got a check engine light saying misfire cyls 1 and 4. Now it barely wants to run. Once in a while before I shift it runs decent before it runs horrible again.
Thanks

#3 ·
have you checked the pins and wiring at the electrical connector to the coil pack?

Many people have had a problem as you are describing because a pin has backed out, causing half of the primary system to fail.

#9 ·
When you get a misfire in cylinder 1 and 4 as a pair (or 2 and 3 as a pair) it's usually indicative of an ignition primary circuit problem since the Ford "wasted spark" ignition system fires the plugs in those groupings. Of the three wires comprising the ignition coil connector, one of the two thinner outer wires should show physical damage, chafing, splitting or corrosion. (The thicker middle wire is 12V supply.)

Easiest thing to do is to simply tug on the wires; they usually break or come apart if bad.

If the problem is severe and persistent enough, eventually you'lll throw a DTC code - P0350, P0351 or P0352.

#10 ·
Yeah I started to pull the harness apart and when I was moving the harness around, one of the wires fell off. So I'm hoping when I replace that, everything will be ok haha. I was going to post a picture, but I figured you all have seen that before. Also I have no idea how to post pictures. Haha

#11 ·
thanks for explaining that in more detail BC_ZX3... I meant to, but didn't.

You can post pictures by opening up a photobucket account, then clicking on the

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.