Focus Fanatics Forum banner

McGuard Wheel Nuts?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  zx5fanatic 
#1 ·
I've been looking for some replacement wheel nuts since some of mine don't match. It looks like McGuard is one of the more reputable companies. Can anyone confirm this for me? Do you have their wheel nuts or wheel locks? If so, how would you rate them? Or would you recommend something Else?Thanks.

#6 ·
I had Gorilla set of 20 locking on my previous car for 13 years..
Loved them.
And bought a new set right away for my 2012 Focus.
I bought the black ones, and after polishing them before putting them on, they have stayed nice and are great, one year now.
Sometimes filks disparage another product just to 'cut' it for no reason.
Gorilla is a great product IMO.

#9 ·
Gorilla, as did some other companies, had issues with the hex drive tuner lug design. The design is such that applying too much torque to this style nut could twist the top of the nut off. This was quite some time ago and my guess is that they have changed the design of this type of nut to prevent the problem. I've also heard that's its hard to properly torque this kind of nut. That said, they have several dozen (or more) conventional designs that work fine.

#10 ·
McGaurd and Gorilla lugs are both great, but in my opinion McGuard locks suck big time. At least the designs.ive tried in the past. The ones with the odd shaped star for a key/lock combo. Way too shallow that it stripped out when torquing to 100lbs and it was only at about 80 lbs when each one twisted and stripped. Just too shallow or it would be fine

#11 ·
I have both on different vehicles. Both work fine, McGuard are generally used for OEM locks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.