Focus Fanatics Forum banner

f1 world champion

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  MattMarks 
#1 ·
Kimi Raikkonen is your 2007 formula 1 world driving champion.[pray] [headbang]

#3 ·
I like Kimi, bit at the same time, I wish that the season wasn't overshadowed by controversy.

I have A LOT of respect for Hamilton and I think he has an incredible future.

Just too bad that his rookie season was overshadowed by a $100M fine and his constructor being "banned" from any hope of a title...

#7 ·
i could've sworn that MM let him out of his contract, and yes he's a whiny bitch, but he's also one of the few with the balls to out-drive schumaher, and in a renault no less.

anyways fantastic race, never seen anything like it! I'm so glad Kimi took it,i saw the first race, didn't check in for awhile and saw that this hamilton guy was winning and not even alonso was in first place (quite the shocker let me tell you) but i was certain i would not get to see my favorite driver at the top.
but alas, he's done it! i've been waiting to see something this unpredictable, it had me on edge for the whole hour

anybody notice this Kubica passing alonso twice? i think BMW may be getting their program up in to the top tier, i really like kubica

#8 ·
Its was such a great season... I'm HAPPY that Kimi finally won it!!!!

#15 ·
I just got done watching the race since I missed it Sunday and had to wait till now to watch it. I've avoided all media so I could watch to see who wins the championship and even though Hamilton didn't win it like I hoped the only other person I would want to win did. I'm just glad that Hamilton beat Alonso.

#19 ·
I imagine it increases the density of the fuel, so theoretcally you can have more fuel per stroke.

It is moot point unless you can get more air in to go with the extra fuel...

#21 ·
Chilled fuel does two things

1) Increases fuel density - equal more power per given volume of fuel
2) Decreases flow time through the refueling rig - might save a 10th or two

I don't think that getting the air into the engine is as much a limiting factor as much as how quiickly the fuel can be injected. The window is incredibly short at 19,000 rpm to get the injector to complete it's duty cycle in time for the spark to light off and get the fuel burned (though the spark fires well before the duty cycle is complete - there's just not enough time). The FIA limits fuel rail pressures as a safety issue, so for a given number of milliseconds that the injector has to fire, a denser fuel charge will deliver a significantly greater amount of fuel than one at ambient temp.

Estimates I've read put this at about 10-15 HP for fuel that is 10 degree celiues less than the Sao Paulo ambient.

#22 ·
Related focus content

On the Duratec motors, the ECU measures fuel pressure at the fuel rail and increases or decreases the length of the duty cycle of the injectors so that the correct amount of fuel is delivered. Cranking up the fuel pressure to gain some HP doesn't work (unless you do some serious tuning) as the motor backs off the duty cycle to "restrict" the amount of fuel back to what the motor expects. That's what I learned in 3 hours at the Dyno - but still found 8 HP ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.