Focus Fanatics Forum banner

meh :/

6K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  underoath 
#1 ·
I went to a local "car enthusiast" get together last night. It was a lot of fun and there were some nice cars there. I was the only Ford in the house. A guy there with a scion tc, a car I have never liked, asked if I wanted to "race". I don't normally do that sort of thing but I agreed but said I wasn't doing anything crazy and wasn't going past the speed limit... I'm broke, can't afford tickets n such. So we are out in the middle of no where on a highway and we decide we are going to do a "dig" and then do a rolling start from 20.

We get set up and when the time comes to go I promptly stall... it sucked! Start the car, catch back up to him and we do the rolling thing. I'm in second gear and i gun it, he instantly leaves me...

He says he has headers and an exhaust. Said the stock tc has a 2.5 liter engine... The whole thing just kinda upset me cause I felt like the SLOWEST car at the entire meet. Even scion piece of crap could beat me... [V]

I must supe up the FoFo.

That is all.

#3 ·
it sounds like you need a lot of practice. find someplace where you can work on launching and shifting.

also unless the TC was the brand new one they have a 160hp 2.4L stock. I dont know how well they respond to mods though... they are a little heavier than your ST.

keep working on it and at least get an intake if you dont have one already

#4 ·
totally stock right ow guys. He was an auto too. I have the pieces to do a stealth intake at the moment but I don't know, it was kinda tacky the way it was setup and I think i'd be happier with a purpose built short ram. I'm not even sure if the stealth intake setup i had on my last focus really made any hp. It was just a cheap vortec intake.

#5 ·
Yea it is all about launch too, I smoked a kia 2 door today, up to only the speed limit of course. But we had just gotten the tint job done to the zx3 2.3l and we pull up to the light and this guy in a kia looks over with a big smile on his face and rev's twice I rev back and then watch the light, I held my RPM's at about 2-2500 And then the light turned and I had a good car length jump on him, hit second and was gone hit third and was coming up on the limit and I look back and he's atleast three- four car lengths back.

Then the guy gave us a thumbs up passing once we hit the highway, and he went off like a bat down the highway, he passed us who were doing 65MPH very quick so he must have been doing atleast 90-100.

I love screwing around within the limit, but when you go doing 100 down the highway after losing a dig, you just look stupid.

#6 ·
He was probably SMART to rollin' start you because you have a manual AND he (supposedly) has the heavier car.

Get your driving skills sharpened some. Next time you face the likes of him, make it from a dead stop and dump the clutch but not with so many RPMs that you have lots of excess wheelspin.

OR just don't race.

#7 ·
My best friend has a 2008 scion TC, auto, with short ram intake and 2.5 magnaflow exhaust (2.4L, 160HP stock) At the time my ST had an CAI intake and similar 2.5 magnaflow exhaust....this is before boost. We raced from a 20 mph dig (just messin around) and as soon as I hit 2nd gear I left him by half a car and even more when I hit 3rd.

Now if your friend has the NEW 2011 tc then you don't stand a chance. The same friend is a Scion salesman and the 2011 tc with auto trans was faster than my ST. I was very impressed.

The 2011 Scion tC is powered by a 2.5-liter inline-4 engine good for 180 hp and 173 pound-feet of torque.

#9 ·
The shifts were so fast from that auto; it really blew my mind. It was like it had the "flappy paddle" gear box going on.

The night he got the 2011 in; we took it out. Had 5 people in it. A 2008 tc (that he knew) saw us; auto trans, he had intake and exhaust and just 1 passenger.

They ran 'em from a similar roll and we literally dusted him; badly, with 5 people in the car....bone stock. I'm not a scion fan (as my friend knows) but that 2011 is no turd, the auto OR the 6 speed (I've driven both) ;)

#12 ·
He says he has headers and an exhaust. Said the stock tc has a 2.5 liter engine... The whole thing just kinda upset me cause I felt like the SLOWEST car at the entire meet. Even scion piece of crap could beat me... [V]
I just recently sold my '05 zx3 and got an '06 tC. The 2.5L wasn't put in until the 2011 models. Having driven both, the tC is quicker than my focus. My tC has a k&n intake. My focus had the focussport cai and trubendz exhaust. Driving the same way I did in the focus, the tC is quicker imo. The VVT-i motor helps a lot.

#14 ·
you know the I thought about it and I really don't even care that I lost, it's just that he was such a douche about it. I kinda wish I had thought of something sarcastic to say like, "Yeah, you should be proud of yourself. You had to do a lot of work, you know... holding your foot down on the gas..." Something like that, but it's okay. Props to you kind sir above with the scion. I can respect you because you are NOT a douche and you used to be part of the Fo Fo Fold.

#16 ·
Thanks for the compliment. It's all about the attitude. Like a buddy of mine has a wrx and he has already been called a douche after owning the car for 2 months. I've known him for 13 years and he is one of the coolest car enthusiasts I know. He supports anything as long as it's not totally rice out. lol. I'm a proud tC owner and still am proud that I drove a focus. My reasons for the change are my own purposes and I am happy with the switch. Even though I have my opinions of my scion, it doesn't change how I feel about the focus world.

#21 ·
A man that finally makes sense. Posting blog after blog isn't going to help you out. If you don't know how to drive a standard properly that says alot about your love a driving .... well you bought an entry level sub compact that was out of your driving ability. Take 2 hours of your life. Do 100 dry pavement starts, perfect it. Take your car in for a new clutch (and hopefully not a $300 dual mass flywheel) and you've got it. From a kid thats from outer space..............

#23 ·
lol, man, I honestly don't know how to take this. I can tell you I am way better than I was when I got the car. I've had a few late nights on the interstate by myself just stopping, running, over and over. I'll get there eventually. Wish I had money for a new clutch btw.

#22 ·
20 roll should be done in 1st gear not 2nd. and learn how to launch and you will be fine

#27 ·
My PZEV has diffrent gear ratios than the 2.0. I'm trying to find a way to switch 3-5th in mine, yet no trans shop wants to take on the challenge. This would bring the stock transmission closer to a close ratio trans..a true 5 speed.... than fords mentality of the four speed with over drive.

#28 ·
Learn how to really drive your car first and if you going to do a 20 roll, start in 1st gear and power shift into 2nd ;-) also have NO ONE in the car because weight counts especially since you had 5 people in the car which was stupid to race with unless you had a turbo to compensate for 600-800lbs of extra weight I'm guessing...? So not only did you have less power but you had more weight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.