Focus Fanatics Forum banner

So I'm buying an XCAL3 used...

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  whynotthinkwhynot 
#1 ·
I have been battling this EGR problem for quite some time now... and I've decided after today that I'm done, and that I'm just going to bite the bullet and get an XCAL3.

I'm getting it tomorrow from a guy. It's "unmarried" which I hear is what I need...

What I need to know is what I need to do to use it on my car. I've never messed with a tuner before in my life. Do I need to contact SCT or go to their website? Or just plug my car in and follow the directions?

Any and all help on this would be much appreciated... I'm looking forward to turning off this light and finally making use of my mods!

PS: Any links on EGR delete plates too? [gunfire]

#3 ·
Your going to need a full custom tune just to turn off the EGR the xcal by it self wont turn off the egr

I charge 150.00 for a full custom tune , free tune updates and datalogging services

No sense in paying for a tune to have the EGR turned off and not do a performance tune as well

Tom

#4 ·
I'll definitely be in contact with you about the tune, Tom. I see you do good work!
I figured a full tune would be needed... Frankly I'm looking forward to it lol.
Thanks for the link!

#6 ·
Example; a guy on kijiji is sellinghttp://www.fswerks.com/collections/focus-st-2013/products/fswerks-sct-x3-ecu-flash-programmer-ford-focus-st-2013
Is it possible to flash the device and wipe the preloaded tunes on it? And possibility of un pairing it?

#7 · (Edited)
Married (paired or locked) = Tune from the XCAL is loaded on the car.
Unmarried (unpaired or unlocked) = Tuned car was returned to stock or was never loaded or you paid SCT to clear it.

If you want to use an XCAL that is locked you must either return the vechicle it is married too back to stock, or send the unit to SCT and have them unlock it for a fee (150.00 if i remember correctly).

If you buy a used XCAL thats locked for say 100 and then you need to pay 150 to have it unlocked from SCT and then you have to pay 150 for a custom tune you arent saving any time or money when you could have just purchased one from Tom for 399.00 with unlimited free updates as long as your NA.

#11 ·
Plug it up in your car, then select Custom Tune. It will tell you if it can run the tune on your car or not. If it can't, hand it back and go get a new one.

I use my XCal to check DTCs on my wife's van all the time, and I've never seen a message on the first screen telling me that it was unlocked. Mine is an XCal2 though.

#9 ·
There is a screen that tells you on the device if its unlocked.

And yes you send Tom your payment with the required information once you have the XCAL(mods, SCT VIN, ECU Code etc...).
He sends you a tune file (via email) you load it onto the XCAL and then onto your car (then it becomes locked to your car).
Then you datalog and send the file to Tom hes sends an update back to you.... rinse and repeat util its finished. Any new mods you get and you just data log again and then send it to Tom for a retune free of charge.

#10 ·
If it's an xcal III, Tom can not 'unmarry' it. That procedure is done by SCT only.
Which is, if you'd send it to Tom, he'd send it to SCT.

As noted, the few extra bucks for new is well worth the lower hassle/headache. Plus SCT will stand behind a new product.
Used, not so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.