Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HOW-TO Replacing Rear Upper Camber Arms, and camber bolts.

62K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  KD5NRH 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
HOW-TO Replacing Rear Upper Camber Arms, and camber bolts.

Warning: Neither Focus Fanatics nor its Members may be held responsible for the outcome of performing such a modification to ones car(Ford Focus). Such acts are performed at ones own risk, and sole responsibility must be assumed. This may include, but not limited to, the voiding of Ford vehicles factory warranty.

I was informed by the Dealer (came highly recommended by focus owners in AZ) that in order for a proper alignment in the rear that I needed rear upper camber arms, not just camber bolts, which in fact they were right. I have a Roush stage 2 Suspension, which dropped the car 1.75” but I think once everything settled it was more like 2. The arms are a little on the pricy side, around $200 but allows for more adjustment and a proper alignment.

So onto the write up.

What you need:
New Upper Camber Arms, mine were SPC
Camber Bolts. Mine were ebiach, but the instructions included said SPC
Floor Jack
Jack Stands
Grinder
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:
Air compressor
Impact
Impact sockets
Socket extensions.

Always put safety first; using jackstands, eye protection, and all other required safety measures. It is also recommended to have supervision whenever possible, and take the necessary steps to make a safe and successful install, and watch out for the creeper wheels!!!!

First of course lift the car and support with jack stands; the pinch weld is fine for this. And remove wheels.

Use the Jack and place it under the lower control arm.

These are the bolts you need to remove.

The upper bolt is hard to reach, you will need extensions to get to the bolt, the left side is above the exhaust, and the right is located near the fuel lines.

First remove the lower bolt with a 15mm socket and impact (if available) or a breaker bar should work.

you may need to tap the bolt out the rest of the way

Now for the top bolt you will need extensions for these I think mine ended up being 18”

The stock arm should just fall out now, if you are not installing camber bolts, DO NOT DO THIS NEXT STEP!
The old nut needs to be removed but it is welded in place, we used a right angle grinder, for this.

This nut that has to go

And grinding

After you get the nut off clean up the welds.

Now compare you new arms with the old, I painted my ford blue because I was bored the day they arrived, you can't even see them when installed.

Now make your new adjustable arms the same length as the stock, makes sure BOTH nuts are fully screwed into the arm, then twist the big nut to adjust the length, once it is at the desired length twist the small nut back town to the big one.

And then tighten this bolt on the arm

Now its time to install the arm. Place the arm in location and install the top bolt first, the stock bolt is fine for this.
No if installing camber bolts follow these directions, if not replace the stock lower bolt and your done!

Camber bolt installation,
Insert bolt, make sure the lobe on the bolt is full seated and the tab on the washer is seated in the hole.
The washer with tab:

Insert bolt:

And torque to 55ft/lbs and your done

It took 2 guys with power tools, less than 2 hours to install with pictures. This was a pretty straightforward install, but a good alignment is REQUIRED after this install.

You do not need to install the Camber Bolts with the Arm, i had the bolts so installed them and included them in this write up.

replacing rear camber arms, replacing rear camber bolts, camber arms, camber bolts, rear alignment, rear suspension, alignment, suspension, back alignment, back suspension,
replacing focus rear camber arms, replacing focus rear camber bolts, focus camber arms, focus camber bolts, focus rear alignment, focus rear suspension, focus alignment, focus suspension, focus rear alignment, focus back alignment, focus back suspension

See less See more
#40 ·
Now make your new adjustable arms the same length as the stock, makes sure BOTH nuts are fully screwed into the arm, then twist the big nut to adjust the length, once it is at the desired length twist the small nut back town to the big one.

Hmm, that's either some bad instructions or they've changed the design... The larger nut is a hollow collar and the eye-ended portion threads through it with reverse threads. You can loosen the allen-headed pinch bolt and adjust the arm on-the-car by turning the large nut/collar without unfastening anything.

#45 · (Edited)
Hi guys, sorry to bring an old thread back to life. I have a 2009 Mondeo that I have lowered 40mm all around and wanted to know if the rear adjustable camber bolt used on the focus can be used on the Mondeo?
I can't find any in Australia apart from complete adjustable rear arms. The rear set up looks very similar to the focus so I am hoping that adjustable bolts will work.

Or could someone tell me the diameter and length of their standard bolts.

Thanks guys

#46 ·
Thanks for this info guys. I had a mechanic replace the springs, lowering the car by 1.75" He didn't bother with the camber, and the guys that did the alignment just lied, saying it was adjusted, and i went thru a set of rear tires before knowing what was going on. Sure was fun in the cornering, while the tires lasted. haha! I'm putting an adjustable arm in this weekend, thanks again for the 411. Peace

#47 ·
For safety, don't forget the wheel chocks too. Especially with suspension work where everything needs so much torque. I've cheater barred my Focus right off a jack stand before. Luckily just a bruised pinky and some creative levering to get room to fit a jack back under the side with the wheel off, but considering I'd been under the car cranking on a bolt just a couple minutes earlier, that could have gone really badly. Now I chock both sides of both wheels on the end I'm not raising so the car can't rotate to either side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.