Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Any one have a SVT Timing Belt How to?

10K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  tukaniSVT 
#1 ·
My 03 has very low miles on it but I am paranoid that the belt with age can still fail as easy as one with alot of miles on it.

I was wondering if anyone had a how to with some photos and a list of special tools needed as well as other parts to replace while its down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just wanted to get an idea before I started.

Sorry if there is another thread open but I just could not find it.

Thanks all[thumb]

#3 ·
that one has more than i think hes looking to do haha
its really not that difficult, move the resevoir tank, and you can do it from the top, i did when i put in my alternator(apart of the belt cycle) the bottom would probably be easier tho hhaa. the top you just gott reach down pull on the tensioner and pop the belt loose, then put the new belt on and pull on the tensioner for the last pulley for the belt to get on and you're good if you're just trying to put a new belt on, otherwise look at the how to haha

#4 ·
Your timing would probably be way off if you just did it like this. When you take the belt off the cam gears move from all the tension the valve springs have on them. You can however make marks on your cam and crank gears and corresponding marks on your belt noting which side of the belt is facing out so your marks aren't off when you transfer them to the new belt. Then just line up the marks when you put the new belt on. It's recommended to change the tensioner, idler pulley and water pump while you're at it.

#7 ·
I just did mine using the method I described. Several others have too. I've driven it several hundred miles with no probs or check engine light.

#11 ·
You don't need to do anything special with the Svt versus the regular Zetec. Just make sure when the belt is off, nothing inside the engine moves (at least if you timing isn't off to start with).

#19 ·
I would use the one that benjaminj6 found.

It is the Ford Manual one specifically for the SVT Focus.

I went ahead and added it to the How-To Archive as well.

Thanks, benjaminj6. For finding it online.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.