Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How-to: Atx to Mtx shift knob/boot mod, made easy

31K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  ACHRO 
#1 ·

i modded that typical Saleen shift knob to my auto shifter, found a regular zx3 shift boot and made my atx into mtx....sort of,lol.

now im about to show how it can be done with ANY shift knob, not just some knobs some say can fit perfectly with some fittings(like that expensive $100 Mono automatic shift knob). i'm show u that you too can be like me.

i was fortunate enough to come across this idea on how to make practically most knobs fit for ur automatic focus. now with this mod will need:

*universal shift boot u can get a shift boot at any stores that sells them or online, whichever you prefer.
*3-4 inches of some sort of tube to stick in the shaft of the shifter with This is crucial cause in order for the shift knob to work, it needs to press the shifter button inside the shaft. so this can range any where from a pen to the spare antenna i had laying around in my garage. whatever it is, it must fit within the hole, move around and be about 3" to 4"
*scissors
*screwdriver
*Hex key set u can find this at any store really (walmart, home depot, any auto parts store, etc.)
*and the most important piece, THE SHIFT KNOB. now i know i said any shift knob can work but with 2 exceptions:
*it must fit over the shaft of the shifter
*and must have some room at the bottom to attach the boot onto like this knob:

you can see that it the bottom of it is dented in to allow the top part of the boot to sit in.

Okay STEP 1:
Remove the automatic shifter with a hex key. the bolt is going to be on the left side of the shifter. the size is #2.

Next, get your screwdriver and take out the three bolts holding down your center console

Get the shift boot. most universal shift boots comes with a draw string to tighten the top part of boot with or some elastic band that automatically adjusts, if yours happen to come with a zip tie then don't adjust it yet.

Step 2:

get the shift knob, the tube (or whatever it is you found) and stick the tube inside the shifter. Then stick the knob over it. get on the driver seat and put in ur keys and turn on ur car to the acc position, you do not need to start your car for this. then move the around the gear lever, get a feel for it and see how its moving. if it free flowing, as in if its not getting stuck after u stick into position or after you shift it into park then it will it work. then turn off the car and process to step 3

Step 3:
So this is one of the crucial parts for the whole mod. get your knob out, get your boot and tie the top end of it tightly on the end of the knob. I said tightly cause the tighter it is, the more "in-place" the knob will be in. the base of the boot, when held down by the placement of the console and the gear letter placement is what going to keep the knob stabilized and not to fall off.

Step 4:
Yet another crucial part of the mod, raise the center console up a little bit to fit in the shift boot over the base. make sure the boot covers it and sit ur knob over the shaft. make sure ur car is in park. also make sure there's a good amount of slack with the boot, especially when it's in park.

base: (do not remove it like i did)

Step 5:
get in the driver seat if u aren't, turn the key to acc. (accessories), push ur foot on the brake and move the knob. make sure the gear selector locks in the appropriate gear selections. when you move the selector it should not move out of park or when its in drive/ neutral position on its on after the knob has been pressed down.

look at my guide to get an idea.

park[locks in place/press knob to move]

reverse[press knob to move]

neutral[can move in between w/o pressing in the knob]
drive [same as above]

2nd[must press to get to gear]
1st[must press to get to gear]

after making sure that the knob/boot combo does fit in properly, then your all done. Clean up and enjoy ur new driving experience [werd]

*the combo that i used was a zx3 manual boot, with a saleen shift knob.
**in order for that particular combo to fit, i had to do a bit more modding to make the boot fit properly w/ some slack. if you like more info on that, shoot me a pm. if there's enough replies, ill add more directions on how to make that work.

See less See more
#13 ·
lol sure

I've looked over the thread, but what did you do with the o/d button, just eliminate it completely? Thanks for the write up, Id had seen this somewhere in the past, but had forgotten about it, till I seen this.
my o/d button got eliminated. i could wire up a switch for it, but im just lazy, plus i dont see a point for it as of now. i might do it sooner or later.

#24 ·
I was just going to ask the same question... I put an aftermarket automatic shift knob on mine and i'm trying to find ideas to get the o/d button back. maybe mount a button on the center console somewhere?

#14 ·
How exactly does the knob depress to shift if it secured to the shaft? I would think if it's tight to the shaft, then it wouldn't depress, unless the whole shaft sleeve moves. I know it clearly does, so how's that work?

I just picked up an extra shifter assembly, and now I am fabbing up something similar. I'm going a different route, and I want to retain a release button, and the O/D button as well, though not on the shifter itself. I'm keeping it under wraps for now, till I sort it out. Last time I let a great idea out on my Fiat Spider, it miraculously showed up on another forum members car. And it was out of the norm.

Looks good though.

#16 ·
How exactly does the knob depress to shift if it secured to the shaft? I would think if it's tight to the shaft, then it wouldn't depress, unless the whole shaft sleeve moves. I know it clearly does, so how's that work?
the shaft itself CANNOT OR DOESNT MOVE. so whats actually allowing the knob to move is the the button inside of the shaft, the amount of room the inside center of the knob and the piece in between the button in the shaft and on the inside of the knob (i.e. pen). the button is spring loaded, (im guessing for sure)

#28 ·
Ok so i know this is old now, But is there SOMEONE that has done this to the 08+ models than can explain how they did this with any sort of detail at all? Vague things like move "it" and pull "it" out doesn't really tell anyone who hasnt done this mod anything.

#29 ·
Is the O/D button necessary? Even if you had it off, it resets to "on" every time your turn off the ignition and restart the car. It's recommended that ATX's keep it on for best economy.

When would you turn it off? Should it even be worried about when doing this mod?

Cool idea though!

#31 ·
did mine last week. looks cool but not as secure as i want it because of the lack of something sturdy to put into the shaft. ill post pics when i get a chance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.