Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Some New Issues

9K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  GhiaFan 
#1 ·
So the laundry list of things going wrong with this car is growing. I've got about 11k miles on it know, and this is what I've encountered.

-Both Key fobs intermittently will not lock or unlock the car.

-Radio will not shut off after key is out and doors are opened. Have to turn the car on/off, pull key out, open doors multiple times to get it to power off.

-Rear park aid indicator stays on, even when cruising down the highway. See pic below.

-DCT grinding is getting progressively louder and shifts are getting sloppier.

-Water comes through tweeter on both driver and passenger front doors

-AC fan speeds fluctuate

-Numerous dash & door rattles

-MFT detects the phone every time I get in, however I have to cycle through multiple times to get it to play music via bluetooth. Often drops bluetooth and goes to radio at increased volume.

-Random weekly MFT resets

All of this and a new door ding on a 6 month old vehicle. [:(!]

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the wonderful joy of Ford ownership.

Have you tried 3.5.1 update? It seemed to have helped some of my issues... specifically the key fobs not working.

I haven't noticed it yet since update.

Previously I used to have to wait up to a minute presses lock/unlock before the car finally responds, this ofcourse like you described happens intermittantly... now it seems to be instantaneous consistently.

#6 ·
I spoke too spoon couldn't lock my car today...

Remote door locks must be new technology, woe me for buying first year model and technology.... Oh wait it has only been in cars for the last what 15 years?

#5 ·
So the laundry list of things going wrong with this car is growing. I've got about 11k miles on it know, and this is what I've encountered.

-Both Key fobs intermittently will not lock or unlock the car.

-Radio will not shut off after key is out and doors are opened. Have to turn the car on/off, pull key out, open doors multiple times to get it to power off.

-Rear park aid indicator stays on, even when cruising down the highway. See pic below.

-DCT grinding is getting progressively louder and shifts are getting sloppier.

-Water comes through tweeter on both driver and passenger front doors

-AC fan speeds fluctuate

-Numerous dash & door rattles

-MFT detects the phone every time I get in, however I have to cycle through multiple times to get it to play music via bluetooth. Often drops bluetooth and goes to radio at increased volume.

-Random weekly MFT resets...
Hi 04SVTF303,

I'm happy to step in here and see how I can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your information in the hands of your regional customer service manager and ensure someone contacts you soon.

Thanks,
Crystal

#7 ·
Went to the dealer and got the response I knew I'd get. "Couldn't duplicate" They updated the MFT. That amplified most problems. What a joke. Bluetooth option is worthless. Test drove a new 5.0 though. That was fun. If only the focus didn't depreciate 13k in 6 mos, I'd be switchin cars.

#8 ·
After 2 decades of VW, Lexus and Mercedes, I do see build quality issues on this Ford that have thus far been foreign to me in new car ownership. I like the little thing, think the Ford-Euro genes provide a terrific design, but I suspect bloated UAW labor and American union work ethic have something to do with it. I sure hope not.

I bought Ford stock when it was $1.92 because I believe in Mulally. Made me a nice profit before I sold at $16, and what he's done with Ford made me commit to visiting a Ford dealership for my next car, which I did.

Either I'll be like the old guy blasting the Pinto by next year, or I'll be saying "buy Ford, not Benz." It's all up to how this thing holds up, and perhaps as important, how proactive Ford is in addressing my issues and making them right.

Are you listening Ford brass?

#22 ·
After 2 decades of VW, Lexus and Mercedes, I do see build quality issues on this Ford that have thus far been foreign to me in new car ownership. I like the little thing, think the Ford-Euro genes provide a terrific design, but I suspect bloated UAW labor and American union work ethic have something to do with it. I sure hope not.
Agreed. Who would have thought that you would have to inspect for panel alignment before taking delivery, for example? I would love to get a look at a German-spec model...I'll bet they are much better put together. Watch a video of the Wayne factory vs. VW Wolfsburg to illustrate your point above. I would prefer to buy American (and I believe that there are many hard working people out there), but not if the product is not well-made.

That said, I have no rattles...the majority of trouble (besides panel gaps/alignment) has to do with fair-to-poor part quality (dash replaced, steering gear, driver's seat cover). The Focus is a nice design, but it is seriously outclassed by the VW Golf/GTI (especially the new Mk.7). Mk 7, here I come (in Spring '14)

#10 ·
I guess I should clarify. The radio will not turn off. You can hit whatever buttons you want, open and close the doors with the keys out of the ignition, and it will not turn off. The little info screen between the tac and speedo stays lit up as well. So if I leave it, it will kill my battery.

#11 ·
Now I understand. You seem to have one heck of a laundry list of issues. I would definitely escalate the problem. I've been-there-done-that with the "unable to duplicate" issues on several vehicles in the past. For most dealerships, if they can't find it within 30 seconds, then it doesn't exist. Be persistent, perhaps even offer to drive the vehicle with a tech riding along to show them the issues.

#13 ·
I've already spent what would amount to days on this crap. Driving around a crappy ass loaner and listening to the techs say the same thing. I paid close attention to the mileage last time. How you gonna drive a car 5 miles and get an accurate feel for what's going on? They're not gonna fix anything cause they can't. I've said it before, if I were willing to take the massive hit, I'd trade it in for something else in a heart beat.

#16 ·
That's a darn shame. Sorry to hear of your car woes. I've been there myself and I understand the frustration that you're experiencing. I'd take Crystal from FOMOCO up on her offer and let her escalate the issue to a regional representative who can help you get everything sorted out. Keep us posted, I'm interested to see how it all works out for you.

#19 ·
If these problems occur with any regularity, see if you can nicely persuade the service manager to have one of the technicians drive your car back and forth to work for a couple days.

As others have said, techs are under considerable time pressure at the dealer and may not devote much time to finding the problem otherwise. The dealer network is truly a weak point for manufacturers in general and Ford in particular...

#20 ·
I've done the master reset a few times. There is no rhyme or reason as to when these MFT issue happen. Trying to duplicate it is near impossible. I've taken pictures of the messed up screens and oddball crap that comes up and that doesn't seem to do anything.

I've dealt with Crystal once. Had issues escalated to "regional customer service managers" three times.

#21 ·
I wanna say that this is covered under some 1990's law pertaining to pontiacs doing the same thing, and its and auto lemon in that case, ask a free shark...

Side note, I heard we were supposed to leave trip 1 un-reset from the factory, and only reset trip 2 to aid in resale value, actual MPG from factory is actual :)

#30 ·
The trouble with new cars, it seems, is that problems are either software related or design/engineering related. The days of taking it to the dealer to replace a faulty part are over, if the manufacturer doesn't already have a solution on hand.

I'm glad I missed out on intelligent access, MFT, parking sensors, DCT, or auto AC. That said, those are all technologies that have been out for years, and it's inexcusable that Ford hasn't figured them out yet on the Focus.

#34 ·
Sorry to hear of your troubles . I really wanted to love my new Focus as well and have given the dealer multiple attempts at fixing my vehicle to no avail. I even tried to negotiate a trade to a 2013 but I wanted Ford to come to the table with a little bit to help ease the cost of the trade....Thanks to the wonderful CSM at Ford Canada with the comment after 2 months almost....."sorry my hands are tied"....oh that's why they can't return calls etc.I give up and am enlisting the assistance of the CAMVAP arbritation here in Canada. I don't mean to vent either but you are not alone.

#37 ·
With all the electrical problems you're having it sounds like one of the computer modules had a stroke or something is wrong with the wiring. There's a diagnostic mode available through the MFT that might help.

(shamelessly copied from the Internet)
- Make sure there is no CD in the system
- Set MFT to AM/FM
- Press and hold the eject button and...
- Immediately after press and hold the right arrow on the center wheel while still holding the eject button
- Hold both buttons pressed for about 12 seconds
- Screen goes black and MFT enters diagnostics mode

#38 ·
I move a lot for work. Recently from Phoenix to Huntington Beach. Put some miles on the car the last few days. Had to reset MFT multiple times. MULTIPLE times. I use the nav on my phone. Good times! Would not sync with my phone. Would not even power on some times. Again, the car would not lock/unlock...on a road trip! Tonight I pulled into my hotel and turned the car off. Made some random beeping and then the panic alarm went off. There were cops in the area who proceeded to question me for a while as to why I couldn't get it to shut off and if it was even my vehicle. The transmission has gotten even worse. It's a JOKE. Taking the hit. I'll gladly spend an extra 7k to get out of this gigantic pile of shit that ford has done nothing to help me with. Last Ford product I'll ever own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.