Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus

888K views 2K replies 468 participants last post by  PrDawg 
#1 ·
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.[bigcry]

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.

See less See more
#645 ·
Well I am back ... lol For those with tranny issues I can only say that after having driven mine 7k miles now and experiencing the shudder just a bit early on I can say it has disappeared with no further issues. MFT and sync can be a bit frustrating sometimes but I am hoping that the new update will take care of the few issues I have been having.

My car is currently at the dealers having the remote start installed and has been for a bit over a week now. I have not pressed them on it because they have been good service guys up to now. What I am concerned about, however, is that they are having issues getting it done and are not being completely forthcoming about what those issues are.

so my question is this: what kind of install issues are being run into which causes this to be a week long job rather than a few hours or a day ? is there something specific I can ask about that will get them down the right path if they miss another expected finish date?

#646 ·
Glad to hear that your tranny is shifting as well as ours. I can't even guess why there are problems installing the remote start. What do you think about calling them and telling them that if it is such a problem to install to forget it and give you your car back? That might speed things up or get your car back today.

#647 ·
I bought my 2012 Focus SE back in May 2011. 18,000 miles and have not had any issues other than a sporadic remote lock issue. It usually takes two or three good hits on the key fob to activate the locks (unlocks fine). Transmission has been a new learning experience for me since I am so accustomed to the "old school" automatics of old. This may be moreb of a personal gripe but the transmission for me seems to shift too early instead of holding it in the power a little longer, esecially going up hills. I've tried it in sport mode (and used the upshift/ down shift buttons) and it suits my driving style a little better for going in ad out of traffic. What is this transmission TSB that is going around? Is this a re-flash for better shifting? Any infor would be grateful....[cheers]

#648 ·
There's a lot of information in this forum about the TSB - see the discussion section for the 2012 Focus as well. The reflash seems to be pretty significant, raising shift points a bit, making sure a gear is selected when going on and off throttle quickly, et al. Many have said it transforms the car, so you may want to take it in.

#653 ·
Ford's initial explanation was that complaints about the DCT were because people expected it to behave like a conventional automatic. This may have been a part of it, but the far bigger issue was they released the car with bum software. Hence the TSB for the major reflash.

So the problem is not that we Focus drivers are unsophisticates in the heady world of European-style transmissions, but that we had a bad product. Now that software is better problems are fewer but still exist, like clutch chatter at launch and a variety of grinding and clashing sounds. Ford seems to not have a solution for this.

#654 ·
I just got off the phone with the dealer that I bought the car from concerning the TSB/ transmission re-flash. The service advisor hassled me over doing it (saying their trans tech would have to drive, etc.) and I told him I have the TSB in hand along with date of manufacture (April 2011, yes an early one) and te VIN. Still got hell. I basically told him point blank that after buying several cars from them since 2002, I can aptly say their service department is a total disappointment and will probably take my business somewhere else (and this includes possibly switching vehicle manufacturers).[thumbd]

P.S. I hope the customer service lurkers are reading this. The are losing a life long Ford customer thanks to some douchemonkey service advisor....

#656 ·
I hope all of the current owners of the new Focus get their AT issues resolved. I plan on getting a new Focus but will wait till the ST's are released and order one then. I really like MT's and have never had any issues with my MT cars from Ford. It is too bad Ford does not offer a 5sp Titanium as I would order it right now even if it was just a 5sp and not a 6sp.

#657 ·
I find it sad that less and less MT cars are being produced and sold. And I believe that no matter what package you buy, you should always have the option for a 5 or 6 speed. But I really hope they get this sorted out. My mom wanted to replace her '08 with one of these.

#663 ·
I bought my car in June made in May. Is this pretty much needed for all Focus? If I'm at a stoplight and take my foot off the brake it will shudder for a second then smooth out and start to inch forward. Sometimes in stop and go it feels awkard but I've gotten use to it now.

#667 · (Edited)
I haven't seen anyone respond that the transmission TSB was not great so I may as well chime in. I have an early car with minimal shudder. The main frustration was clunky 1-2 shifts and lack of progressivity in the shift strategy. It would lug at low to mid throttle then suddenly with a little more throttle it became rev happy Ricky Racer.

Now it is better at launch and what little shudder there was is gone. At very light throttle it is still fine but anything more and it's suddenly back to its Ricky Racer ways. I'm talking 4000 to 5000 rpm before it shifts and I'm just barely accelerating. Part of the issue seems to be temperature related. At 40F it's not so bad. If it is 0F outside it is terrible. I can hardly wait for a truly cold day!

UPDATE: SEE POST 702

#674 ·
Ford bought our Focus back

Just giving an update on our Focus. We bought our car in July, build date is in May 2011. We probably had the car a few weeks total, the remaining time was at the dealer trying to get the tranny problem resolved. They made many attempts to repair it but it always had the same issue. Finally Ford agreed to Lemon Law our car and everything has been finalized.

We were very sad to lose the car. Ours was getting great gas mileage and was very confortable. We are not sure if we should keep an eye on this site and wait to replace it with another Focus. Hopefully they can get this resolved.

Please keep posting your build dates if you are having any issues. The inside door panel will give you the date. It's helpful not only to other owners but to Ford as well. Based on our experience, somehitng is wrong internally with the tranny. They did every update and kept replacing our clutches because they would burn up, and the car never stopped shuddering at low speeds.

Good luck to you others who are still having issues. I hope they get everything fixed soon. I'll be driving our little Fiesta everywhere for awhile...no problems with that but it is a manual!

#690 ·
bought our car in July, build date is in May 2011. We probably had the car a few weeks total, the remaining time was at the dealer trying to get the tranny problem resolved. They made many attempts to repair it but it always had the same issue. Finally Ford agreed to Lemon Law our car and everything has been finalized.
Good luck to you others who are still having issues. I hope they get everything fixed soon. I'll be driving our little Fiesta everywhere for awhile...no problems with that but it is a manual!
Hi s&hford_owners,

Sorry to learn the outcome on the Focus. Please keep up to date with Focus news via Media.Ford.com in the event you desire to purchase another one in the future.

thanks but I went up to the dealer yesterday and they were just finishing up on my car LOL! I think they were having issues with the install and the tech was just too prideful to ask for help from Ford. Had he not gotten it done yesterday I would indeed be sending Pms to you and Jacklyn. You guys Rock !

Thanks RDJTX, we appreciate your comments and work to assist as best as possible. Glad your Focus is back on the road!

Thanks for the well thought out reply Noemi. As you know... I really didn't rant here. I simply posted that I was disappointed with my local Dealership service manager's original lack of care about the issue I was having with a car I had just purchased. In that post I didn't name the dealership nor the manager by name, intentionally. And here on the form I use an Alias. With that said I find it curious how he obtained my comments if they hadn't been forwarded to him directly by Ford folks here. But that's in the past, and I don't hold grudges.
For everyone else - I now have over 5,000 miles on my 2012 Titanium and the transmission rattle is as strong as ever - if not a little louder. Owning this car is the epitome of having a love/hate relationship. I love everything about this car - except the transmission - which I out and out hate.
Having driven the car daily for work, I have managed to average 33 MPH consistently. So I can't be completely upset with the drivetrain. It's getting the job done despite the annoying sounds from the Tranny.
Having been told "these sounds are Normal" from my dealer service manager has not been confidence inspiring. When those rare moments occur when the rattling is loud enough to be heard over the radio, I have visions of the recall which must happen in the future. Until then, I suppose I'll simply grit my teeth at those moments, and thank goodness I bought the extended warranty. Murphy
Hey MurphyPeoples,

Thanks for the comment.

As I have stated, I would be more than happy to contact the CSM once more on your behalf. Perhaps a second opinion would also be warranted. Please let me know via PM which route you decide to take.
Take care!

I am getting a Ford Engineer to look at my car next week. I have 6,800 miles on the car and still get quite a bit of grinding. The dealer claimed I have the all the updates and there is nothing they can do. How can that be when I bought the car on 7/31 (that was built 5/16 or 5/17)? I hope for a positive answer and solution from the Engineer, when I see him/her next week.
Be it as it may, I hold confidence that Ford will do the right thing in the end. I am not giving up the ghost and will keep on fighting for what I know is right!
I bought my Focus in October of 2011. I have the same problem with the shudder or just sounds like it is rumbling. I now have 6,500 miles on it and it has not got any better...if anything worse. I have taken it to the dealer twice and both time they told me nothing was wrong...but I hate the noise. Other than that I love the car but this is a deal breaker for me to recommend it to anyone.
Hi danyall2010 & jeffreyldavidson,

Send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage as well as personal and dealer contact info. The Customer Service Manager in your area will be able to assist further.

Thanks all,

Noemi

#679 ·
I am getting a Ford Engineer to look at my car next week. I have 6,800 miles on the car and still get quite a bit of grinding. The dealer claimed I have the all the updates and there is nothing they can do. How can that be when I bought the car on 7/31 (that was built 5/16 or 5/17)? I hope for a positive answer and solution from the Engineer, when I see him/her next week.

I hate being a thread pooper but why did many people who requested updates got one? I came in prepared with the articles, especially the one from Motor Trend. Quite a number of people stated that they were able to get the TSB update with no questions asked. I even PM'd a person about it, in addition to asking numerous questions on this board. Does it have something to do with me personally? I am very polite and friendly and tried to the best of my ability to explain things. I'll admit to being a little nervous at the meeting with the service adviser.

Be it as it may, I hold confidence that Ford will do the right thing in the end. I am not giving up the ghost and will keep on fighting for what I know is right!

The dealer seems is attempting to do something (like calling Ford Corporate to get an Engineer here) and I praise them for that, but I came out feeling uneasy how it became a big fight for me and not for others. I want to wish those who have the upgrades very well and I hope that you enjoy your transformed car. I followed all the transmission threads and it had very positive reviews.

If you see many of the posts, I praised the Ford Focus as a big step up for Ford. The fact that the car is winning many awards and recognitions is a testament to the fact how the company is willing to put past mistakes behind it and coming out ahead in the end. I praise Ford for fixing the MFT problem and will ship out the tools necessary to do the upgrade and I look forward to it, as many of the people here (who have it) are. I consider myself a Focus Fanatic and, like others, want the car to succeed in this very competitive marketplace.

What are your thoughts?

#680 ·
Danyall2010,
One of the first parts of in the symptom chart is a symptom labelled as "Harsh or Soft/delayed engagement or shifts". The first step to see if this can be corrected is by performing an adaptive drive cycle after the PCM/TCM have been updated to the latest software level if one is available.

It is quite common in the symptom charts for every new Ford auto trans equipped vehicle to outline that the tech should verify the pcm/tcm are at the latest revision level and perform an adaptive drive cycle to see if that corrects the issue prior to digging any deeper to address any shift concerns. That is why most people are having the update done so readily.

When I diagnose an auto trans for a shift concern, I perform visual checks first. (trans fluid level/condition, linkages, check for leaks, modifications etc.) and make sure the vehicle is safe to road test. I then check for any codes that might reveal any possible issues and check Oasis for any TSBs or SSMs that might give some related info and I perform a road test to verify the concern. If there is a TSB or SSM that addresses the concern then I follow it. I also check for any available updates and perform a tcm/pcm update and perform the adaptive drive cycle (quite often TSBs related to shift concerns end up recommending a pcm/tcm update anyways). I then have a before/after of the update to see if the concern has been corrected. If it has, I release the vehicle to the customer. If the concern is still there, then more intrusive testing is required.

Our dealership has sold dozens of these cars and to date I have only ever had to look at one for a shift concern (early build) and the pcm/tcm update fixed the issue.

#681 ·
Thank you for your detailed response. Does that mean (maybe I am misunderstanding) that the dealers themselves are performing the TSBs without looking at the customer's transmissions to verify that there is a problem? Also, why did Ford quietly update the transmissions on the post 8/12 cars, then? It does not make sense to have two different programmings for the same model year car, with the same engine tuning, and the same make and model of transmission.

Again, I will see what Ford Engineering has to say on this issue.

#685 ·
I bought my Focus in October of 2011. I have the same problem with the shudder or just sounds like it is rumbling. I now have 6,500 miles on it and it has not got any better...if anything worse. I have taken it to the dealer twice and both time they told me nothing was wrong...but I hate the noise. Other than that I love the car but this is a deal breaker for me to recommend it to anyone.

#694 ·
Neomi,
message sent!
I have some good news!
I got a call from the dealer a few minutes ago. He talked to engineering on Monday and there were a few other Focuses with the transmission issue. He says there is a newer TSB coming out for the transmission (12-01-04?) and that I will be called back on Thursday with instructions.
I will postpone my other appointments as it looks like I might be making some progress with my dealer.
I will PM Noemi and let her know that my dealer called me back.
(note I copied this post from a 2012 Focus General Discussion thread since them seem to run parrallel)
Hi denyall2010,

Great to hear! Keep me posted on the results and thanks for the PM.

Hi Noemi,
I've sent several PM's over the last few weeks, have you received them and can you provide me any further information?
Thanks...
Hey kelscar,

I have sent you a reply via PM.

Thanks everyone!

Noemi

#693 ·
I have some good news!

I got a call from the dealer a few minutes ago. He talked to engineering on Monday and there were a few other Focuses with the transmission issue. He says there is a newer TSB coming out for the transmission (12-01-04?) and that I will be called back on Thursday with instructions.

I will postpone my other appointments as it looks like I might be making some progress with my dealer.

I will PM Noemi and let her know that my dealer called me back.

(note I copied this post from a 2012 Focus General Discussion thread since them seem to run parrallel)

#697 ·
Danyall - I'm very interested in what you find out. Please keep us posted. I'd ask that you try to determine what your average fuel mileage is BEFORE you take the car in for the TSB install. And then let us know after a week or so what your mileage is then. From everything I've read on this site, most everyone has experienced a tremendous loss in MPG once having a TSB update. Yes, the noises are greatly reduced in the process, but fuel consumption goes up. Since this is often the case - I'm of the mind to keep my 33MPG I'm getting and run the transmission until it fails. Since I've gotten the extended warranty, it gives me this luxury.
Murphy

#700 ·
I got a call back from my dealer who said they will call back on Monday and schedule an engineer to test drive my car. Here is part of the letter I wrote to Neomi:

The dealer called me back and told me that they will again call on Monday. They are getting an engineer from Detroit/Dearborn to come out and test my car. Once they know when they will stop by South Florida, I will get further instructions to have the test drive done.

Though my questions is why am I having difficulties with the TSB update when most people got theirs done with no questions asked. Are the posters lying? (I did not write this in my letter, but I am going to add that I am not implying that the posters are misleading, but the fact many people got it done successfully casts doubts for me. I felt like that I am an exception to the rule and also kept in mind that another poster responded to my concerns, but it did not help me.)

I will bring the MT and NYT article, as well as setting up my phone's internet to the TSB thread to provide them evidence that the TSB is necessary and to provide proof that many people have theirs done.

I hope a resoultion comes soon and I really do not want this to be my last Ford.

This is what I wrote and I am also going to add that if that if I decide to move on, I will get my grandfather to move on, when he buys his next car (circa 2015).

#702 ·
Update and correction

On post 667 I expressed disappointment with transmission shifting after the TSB was performed. I jumped the gun and must correct myself.

I've since found that the post TSB shifting issue I complained of was primarily a traction control system response to icy conditions. It operates so unobtrusively that I at first mistook it for very late shifting.

After more time for the transmission controller to re-learn the car I believe that the TSB is an improvement and I'm enjoying the car again. The car is much more responsive to throttle input and shifting smoother in lower gears. The jury is out on fuel economy because it's gotten a lot colder but initially, at least, it didn't seem to suffer.

Props to Ford on the update. It is a clear improvement and shows good customer responsiveness.

It would be nice if as they continue to improve future calibrations they made updates available for the current cars, at least once more. I'm sure the engineers are improving it rapidly and it would be nice to bring the current cars along. Being responsive to complaints is good. Better still to be proactive in pursuit of excellence.

#712 ·
On post 667 I expressed disappointment with transmission shifting after the TSB was performed. I jumped the gun and must correct myself.
I've since found that the post TSB shifting issue I complained of was primarily a traction control system response to icy conditions. It operates so unobtrusively that I at first mistook it for very late shifting.
After more time for the transmission controller to re-learn the car I believe that the TSB is an improvement and I'm enjoying the car again. The car is much more responsive to throttle input and shifting smoother in lower gears. The jury is out on fuel economy because it's gotten a lot colder but initially, at least, it didn't seem to suffer.
Props to Ford on the update. It is a clear improvement and shows good customer responsiveness.
.......... Being responsive to complaints is good. Better still to be proactive in pursuit of excellence.
Hi G. Jay,

Good to learn your Focus is driving much smoothly. Makes us happy when our Focus owners are happy. [:)]

Thanks for the props!

I have been having some transmission problems on my 2012 Focus Titanium, Built 10/11..........
I took my car to the dealer and talked to the Assistant Service Manager and he said he would have his Transmission guy check it out.
Well as luck would have it they could not replicate ANY of the problems and there were no diag codes popping up so they could do nothing to the car......
The service managers says if they can't replicate the problem then there's nothing they can do. It just feels like they are saying we don't believe you. We have to see if for ourselves.
I am basically telling the service manager that my cars computer is not shifting my transmission properly. It just seems if there is an update to the computer software (12-01-04) to make it shift the transmission more efficiently the best option is update the software so it will shift better and make the customer happy.
HELP!!!
Here I am, [wave]

Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as your personal and dealer contact info. I'll escalate this ASAP and have the Customer Service Manager in your area provide assistance.

Unfortunately, I had the same issue. Finally, I ended up having to search around for a dealer that would do the update for me (luckily, the dealer I got the car from originally agreed to do the update, but I have to leave it overnight so they can test it in the morning when it's cold). But the local dealer gave me the same story you got.
I would just try another dealership if I were you. ......
My car's trans computer has never been updated since I got the car (and it was built back on 7/1/11 and I purchased it around 7/21/11). I will tell you this, though, my car has about 8400 miles on it now, and it has gotten quite a bit better on its own (it use to do this sort of "stalling" bit on acceleration from a dead stop--shift very erratically and make a fair amount of clutch noise--but that has gone anway. Now, all I really get it some clunking in the front end (may not even be the trans at all, but I need to make sure of that first) when I creep forward from a dead stop at a light........
Hi Sirhawkeye,

If you would like to have the clunking sound escalated, let me know via PM. I think you know the drill. Take care!

I'd escalate to one of the Ford reps who monitor this forum and this thread or find another dealer. I had no problems getting the TSB installed. My service tech takes my word.......
We have no complaints after almost 1000 miles.....
Yes, there is a TSB for the tranny. Get 'er done. ......You'll see that there have been some who have had shifting problems with the Dual Clutch Transmission which is a manual that shifts under computer control. The software update has resolved almost everyone's complaints. The latest TSB for the transmission is 12-01-04A. We bought our Focus in late November (it was built August 9th) and it shifts beautifully.
Yes, there is an update for SYNC and the MFT. It should be here this quarter. If you just have SYNC and no MFT, there are updates you can download from www.syncmyride. com.
Then you should be just fine. It's a great car.
6769MOPARS,

Thanks for the shout out and the great advice you provided to your fellow poster. It's appreciated.

We bought our focus in December 2011. Noticed a small dent in the back before we drove it off the lot. I was told to bring it back in to get body work done on it. When we brought the car in to get it worked on I discussed the shutter, hard shifting and the car feeling like it was going to die. Was told its normal the car needs to learn how you drive and will break in at around 500 miles.
Now at almost 2000 miles still having those problems but worse.........
Hi tj2004ruby,

[welcome] to the Forum.

I'm the residential Ford help on the forum. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal and dealer contact info. I'll have a Customer Service Manager assist you with this concern.

Take a look at your Owner's Manual for the Message Center between the speedometer and tachometer. There is a setting for "hill assist" that can be set to on or off.
The "on" setting will apply the brakes when transitioning from stopped to moving when on a hill and should keep the car from rolling backwards. Maybe yours is set to the "off" position?
Hey dan50,

Thanks for the information.

For those interested on more information about the Hill Start system, if equipped, you will locate it under the Driving section of the Owner Guide.

Take care everyone!

Noemi

#703 ·
Transmission Problems CSM NO HELP

I have been having some transmission problems on my 2012 Focus Titanium, Built 10/11. When I am traveling at highways speeds and attempt to pass my transmission seems to slip and also when starting out from a stop the lower gears will shift erratically like once I started out making a right on red and in between 1st and 2nd gear there was a long pause like I was coasting in neutral leaving me sitting in the middle of the intersection with traffic closing in on me and then 2nd finally caught. I know there has been a new TSB (12-01-04) for the transmission to fix such problems so I decided to take my car to the dealer to see if they could apply the TSB.

I took my car to the dealer and talked to the Assistant Service Manager and he said he would have his Transmission guy check it out.

Well as luck would have it they could not replicate ANY of the problems and there were no diag codes popping up so they could do nothing to the car. I told him I did not feel safe driving the car if there was a chance it was going to pause like that in the intersection with traffic hurtling at me. It has done this to me 2 or 3 times. He asked me to come test drive it with him in the car to see if I could make the car replicate the problems. So I did and he had me just drive around the dealers neighborhood and so I could not get up to highway speed to show him the slipping and try as I might I could not get the car to do the pause thing, so that was that. While on the way home I was on the highway and stepped on the gas to pass and then it did the slipping thing. When I stepped on the gas the RPMs went up but the speed hardly raised and the little it did it did it very slowly.

The service managers says if they can't replicate the problem then there's nothing they can do. It just feels like they are saying we don't believe you. We have to see if for ourselves.

I am a computer repair person and when a client tells me their computer is acting up I accept what they have to say about what's happening. When it seems it is a software problem, I install any updates to the system software and any updates to programs they are having problems with.. Usually that fixes the problems they are having and the client leaves happy. Sometimes I have to reinstall the OS, including the updates, and the programs, including updates, to fix the problems and the client leaves happy. If I did what the service manager did I would not have any clients.

I am basically telling the service manager that my cars computer is not shifting my transmission properly. It just seems if there is an update to the computer software (12-01-04) to make it shift the transmission more efficiently the best option is update the software so it will shift better and make the customer happy.

HELP!!!

#706 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been having some transmission problems on my 2012 Focus Titanium, Built 10/11. When I am traveling at highways speeds and attempt to pass my transmission seems to slip and also when starting out from a stop the lower gears will shift erratically like once I started out making a right on red and in between 1st and 2nd gear there was a long pause like I was coasting in neutral leaving me sitting in the middle of the intersection with traffic closing in on me and then 2nd finally caught. I know there has been a new TSB (12-01-04) for the transmission to fix such problems so I decided to take my car to the dealer to see if they could apply the TSB.

Well as luck would have it they could not replicate ANY of the problems and there were no diag codes popping up so they could do nothing to the car. I told him I did not feel safe driving the car if there was a chance it was going to pause like that in the intersection with traffic hurtling at me. It has done this to me 2 or 3 times. He asked me to come test drive it with him in the car to see if I could make the car replicate the problems. So I did and he had me just drive around the dealers neighborhood and so I could not get up to highway speed to show him the slipping and try as I might I could not get the car to do the pause thing, so that was that. While on the way home I was on the highway and stepped on the gas to pass and then it did the slipping thing. When I stepped on the gas the RPMs went up but the speed hardly raised and the little it did it did it very slowly.

I am a computer repair person and when a client tells me their computer is acting up I accept what they have to say about what's happening. When it seems it is a software problem, I install any updates to the system software and any updates to programs they are having problems with.. Usually that fixes the problems they are having and the client leaves happy. Sometimes I have to reinstall the OS, including the updates, and the programs, including updates, to fix the problems and the client leaves happy. If I did what the service manager did I would not have any clients.

HELP!!!
I'd escalate to one of the Ford reps who monitor this forum and this thread or find another dealer. I had no problems getting the TSB installed. My service tech takes my word.

I have a 2012 Ford Focus with 5,400 miles on it, and wanted to provide some input on the transmission problem. For me, the transmission was at its worst in stop-and-go rush hour traffic.

I knew about the "wear in" period and that the program that learns your driving patterns and makes adjustments accordingly. However, several people, including family members who work at Ford dealerships, have told me that that the program is meant to fine-tune at the edges, not correct for major problems like Ford has with the transmission in the new Focus. For those of you experiencing problems, I would not expect major changes from the "wear in" period or the car's ability to "learn" your driving style. These provide only very minor improvements/changes.

After 5,400 miles, the local dealership performed the update on the transmission and I will tell you that it is NOTICEABLY better and SIGNIFICANTLY different, even driving 3 miles from the dealership to home. The RPM at idle is higher. It is holding gears FAR longer than it did previously. It is unmistakeably smoother. My initial impression is that the new setting is about half way between where it was before and where the car operated when in Sport mode.

For anyone who has transmission problems and has not had the new update applied, I highly recommend having that done ASAP. I have been frustrated with my Focus for many months and have regretted my purchase almost every day.

I hope that the update truly fixes the problem when it is at its worst -- in rush hour traffic. If it does not, I will be trading in my Focus and never buying another Ford vehicle again. Which is difficult to say, given that I grew up in a Ford family.
We had the update done about three weeks ago. I only drive my wife's Focus occasionally but it does shift smoother and at slightly higher RPMs.

We have no complaints after almost 1000 miles.

Unfortunately, I had the same issue. Finally, I ended up having to search around for a dealer that would do the update for me (luckily, the dealer I got the car from originally agreed to do the update, but I have to leave it overnight so they can test it in the morning when it's cold). But the local dealer gave me the same story you got.

I would just try another dealership if I were you. This update only takes about an hour to apply, and I frankly don't understand why they just don't apply it automatically even if the car is having issues. My assumptions are this: if the car already has this update, then it won't benefit from another update, but if the car doesn't have this new TSB update, it can really only help.

My car's trans computer has never been updated since I got the car (and it was built back on 7/1/11 and I purchased it around 7/21/11). I will tell you this, though, my car has about 8400 miles on it now, and it has gotten quite a bit better on its own (it use to do this sort of "stalling" bit on acceleration from a dead stop--shift very erratically and make a fair amount of clutch noise--but that has gone anway. Now, all I really get it some clunking in the front end (may not even be the trans at all, but I need to make sure of that first) when I creep forward from a dead stop at a light.

I did experience one time, what you did. I was accelerating around a right hand turn from a stop, and the car went from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd, and then (for some reason) slipped intro neutral. This only happened once, and that was a few months ago, and I haven't had it happen since.

Is this something that happens often (the slippage into neutral)?
Never had that problem - my wife would have told me and told me and told me if that had happened.

#704 ·
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with 5,400 miles on it, and wanted to provide some input on the transmission problem. For me, the transmission was at its worst in stop-and-go rush hour traffic.

I knew about the "wear in" period and that the program that learns your driving patterns and makes adjustments accordingly. However, several people, including family members who work at Ford dealerships, have told me that that the program is meant to fine-tune at the edges, not correct for major problems like Ford has with the transmission in the new Focus. For those of you experiencing problems, I would not expect major changes from the "wear in" period or the car's ability to "learn" your driving style. These provide only very minor improvements/changes.

After 5,400 miles, the local dealership performed the update on the transmission and I will tell you that it is NOTICEABLY better and SIGNIFICANTLY different, even driving 3 miles from the dealership to home. The RPM at idle is higher. It is holding gears FAR longer than it did previously. It is unmistakeably smoother. My initial impression is that the new setting is about half way between where it was before and where the car operated when in Sport mode.

For anyone who has transmission problems and has not had the new update applied, I highly recommend having that done ASAP. I have been frustrated with my Focus for many months and have regretted my purchase almost every day.

I hope that the update truly fixes the problem when it is at its worst -- in rush hour traffic. If it does not, I will be trading in my Focus and never buying another Ford vehicle again. Which is difficult to say, given that I grew up in a Ford family.

#705 ·

I would just try another dealership if I were you. This update only takes about an hour to apply, and I frankly don't understand why they just don't apply it automatically even if the car is having issues. My assumptions are this: if the car already has this update, then it won't benefit from another update, but if the car doesn't have this new TSB update, it can really only help.

My car's trans computer has never been updated since I got the car (and it was built back on 7/1/11 and I purchased it around 7/21/11). I will tell you this, though, my car has about 8400 miles on it now, and it has gotten quite a bit better on its own (it use to do this sort of "stalling" bit on acceleration from a dead stop--shift very erratically and make a fair amount of clutch noise--but that has gone anway. Now, all I really get it some clunking in the front end (may not even be the trans at all, but I need to make sure of that first) when I creep forward from a dead stop at a light.

I did experience one time, what you did. I was accelerating around a right hand turn from a stop, and the car went from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd, and then (for some reason) slipped intro neutral. This only happened once, and that was a few months ago, and I haven't had it happen since.

Is this something that happens often (the slippage into neutral)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.