Focus Fanatics Forum banner

fswerks stage 2 possibly have a dying cylinder

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Barrow88 
#1 ·
About 4 months ago I purchased a used fsw stage 2 kit for my 2009 Focus with a stock 2.0 duratec. Threw it on my car, got it tuned all was well.

Then oh about a month ago, I started noticing a bunch of white/oily smoke coming out from both my valve cover breather tube and pcv delete tube that both route under the car.

I did a compression test and results were 1.) 160 3.) 165 4.)160 2.) 110.

Now Cylinder 2 is obviously low, and I had oil on the spark plug threads of 1 and 2 which would indicate valve cover gasket, as it was just on the threads not up on the porcelain.

I poured an oil quart cap full of oil down cylinder 2 and tested compression again, came up to 155 which would cause me to believe that the oil rings are bad??

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm going to refer you to the Forced Induction forum where the experts on these modifications reside. I'm going to say you're right though, you have one bad compression ring on that cylinder.

Moved to Ecoboost and Forced Induction Chat.

#5 ·
depends on your budget. either way all you have to do is yea pull the pan and hea doff while its still in the car or you can pull it out for easier access. an while ur there just erplace all the rings so you can start with a clean slate

#7 ·
yup I figured I'd need to pull the head. So I'm really contemplating going that route:

Now should I purchase oem parts:
Head gasket
Rings
Connecting rod bearings

Or do are there better alternatives for a mild boost application?

RockAuto seems to have some of the best prices on OEM parts that I could find. I'm not sure where to look into aftermarkets rings, etc..

#10 ·
I dont agree , your weak poing is still going to be your rods and Pistons , I would go back with all stock on the rings , bearings , gaskets etc they work well and there cheaper , a better bearing wont do anything for you

My thoughts would be to spend another 1000.00 1300.00 and put in pistons and rods unless you just changing the one hole thats bad ?????

Tom

#14 ·
You can get full rebuild kits from here: https://www.gp-werks.com/categories/Engine-Components/Engine-Rebuild-Kits/2.0L-Duratec-Rebuild-Kits/ or you could just piece together pistons and rods then get your gaskets elsewhere.

Here are the 2 rebuild kits:

2.0L Duratec Rebuild Kit: $1,515.00

2.0L CP Pistons with Rings 87.5mm or 88mm (8.5 or 9.0 compression ratio)
2.0L GPWerks/K1 Connecting Rods w/bolts
2.0L Forged Crankshaft
Mahle/Clevite Rod Bearings
Mahle/Clevite Thrust Bearing
Mahle/Clevite Main Bearings
OE Rear Main Seal (with plastic insert for easy installation)
OE Head Gasket
OE Head and Main Studs
2 Diamond Washers
New Main Crank Bolt

Or

2.0L Duratec Rebuild Kit: $1,325.00 (excluding tax)

2.0L Supertech Pistons with Rings 87.5mm or 88mm (any compression ratio)
2.0L GPWerks/K1 Connecting Rods w/bolts
2.0L Forged Crankshaft
Mahle/Clevite Rod Bearings
Mahle/Clevite Thrust Bearing
Mahle/Clevite Main Bearings
OE Rear Main Seal (with plastic insert for easy installation)
OE Head Gasket
OE Head and Main Studs
2 Diamond Washers
New Main Crank Bolt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.