Focus Fanatics Forum banner

08-SYNC steering wheel volume buttons stopped working

37K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  FordIVTteam 
#1 ·
Greetings! I have an interesting problem for everyone to chew on. First though, I'll give my specs: 2008 (MK2) Focus SES sedan with SYNC (Gen1 v2.1) and 70k miles. I've been very happy with the vehicle, and with SYNC as well. I have not done any modifications (besides the original dealer installing an aftermarket satellite radio receiver shortly after purchase).

Now to my problem. I first noticed this issue a few months back, where the volume and media control buttons on the right side of my steering wheel would stop working intermittently. Sometimes the volume buttons would do nothing at all; and sometimes their function seemed to be confused with the media (back/next) buttons right below them. In any case the issue was temporary, so I didn't do much about it. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when the volume buttons permanently stopped working. I gave them a few days to come back to life, but they were gone for good this time.

Being the most often used buttons on my steering wheel, I assumed that the buttons had simply worn out. I decided to replace them, and purchased a new OEM button cluster (both cruise control and SYNC media buttons come in one unit) from a dealer. I replaced them quickly with the help of this guide, put everything back together, fired her up....and the volume buttons STILL do not work! The exact same problem still exists. At least I now have some nice, un-worn buttons... [:p]

So - what else could be causing two physical buttons in the unit to fail like this? A problem with a single wire somewhere? A blown fuse? A SYNC software problem? Obviously it is further "up the chain" from the steering wheel. I know the steering wheel controls are more of a convenience than anything else, but I would love to figure this problem out. I am willing to take it to the dealer if necessary but the problem solver in me wants to figure this mystery out before resorting to that. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated!

PS - Please let me know if this post could be better categorized in a different area of the forum.

Thanks!
Tim

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, disconnecting the battery was part of replacing the buttons - since I was messing around near the airbag I disconnected it. Perhaps it wasn't for long enough though, as my radio presets, etc. were saved even after that. I was also considering doing a master reset in SYNC, though I am not really sure what that does (better go read up).

Thanks!

#7 ·
I have the exact same problem now, but what I had to do was replace my radio/cd. I purchased the exact radio IDS from a dealer off of ebay. The CD would not load or eject a disc. All of it works fine, except now the exact same 2 buttons are not working for me as well. I know when I checked the configuration on this new radio, they are not like the old one, could have something to do with that.

#8 ·
Hi all,

It's been a while but I wanted to provide an update on my problem. First, I did try the fuse pull that Rebecca suggested, but in my case that did not solve the problem. I had my local dealer take a look today, and they found that the corresponding wiring harness at the back of the radio stack was loose. Reconnecting that solved the issue.

So, a simple solution after all. I believe the original dealer (if anyone) might be to blame for the loose harness, as they had to add an aftermarket Sirius receiver after I purchased the car and were probably messing around back there to do that. And the potholes helped over time I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone for your time and ideas. Hope this might help someone else in the future!

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.