Focus Fanatics Forum banner

02fordsvt Build/Mod/Random Thread

261K views 2K replies 86 participants last post by  02fordsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally decided to make myself a thread I can call my own. I'm not expecting to do any major builds in the near future, but since I'm always doing little changes to my car, I figured I might as well put them all in one place and stop cluttering up the rest of the forum.

A bit about me and the car. I bought my 2002 Ford Focus Svt in June, 2010 and had no real hands on knowledge about working on or modding a car except some basics I learned from my dad and from reading auto magazines. Over the past few months I have done a lot of work on this car and have really learned how to do many things. In other words, it doesn't matter how much knowledge you have, you can do anything that I have done. Furthermore, I will be the first one to admit that I have not done many things in the best or most efficient way possible. I am just learning and having fun.

Thread Rules (Or lack thereof)

Feel free to post any kind of comments or questions. If anyone would like to know how to do anything, let me know and I can give you some of the resources I used. Becuase of the way I have this thread organized, it doesn't matter how cluttered the rest of the thread gets. Post anything you feel like from suggestions, questions, and random comments. I won't feel bad if anything gets a little of topic. [thumb]

Table of Contents

First post:

Current Status Section
  1. Current Performance Modifications
  2. Current Interior Modifications
  3. Current Exterior Modifications
  4. Current Exterior Pictures
  5. Current Interior Pictures
Second post:

Modification Time Line

Reference Material

See less See more
#1,365 ·
"Teaser"

I'll get more info and pictures when I do the other side but it probably want happen this the middle of next week.

Basically, I opened the PS taillight, removed the reflector and slightly reshaped the inside, and installed four strips of LEDs.

The way they are hooking up right now are the LED as the taillight, and for safety and legal reason, the OEM bulb is still serving as the brake light and turn signal.

#1,367 ·
i see.
but,i do not have any idea about when mandatory car consultation time comes?
do you remove all illegal mods from your ride?

sorry my poor english!
all of those lights, he has on toggle switches so he can turn them on/off as he chooses..
as far as vehicle inspections, he should be fine.
also certain inspection facilities tend to look the other way and let certain things pass, sometimes for a small fee.

#1,371 ·
Got enough time yesterday to do the other taillight so here it is.

Original

Removed the weather strip off the back

Made a cut with a coping saw about the depth shown. After that, you can carefully start breaking the plastic and lens apart with screwdrivers. The first taillight came apart very cleanly but this one didn't open as well so there are some small cracks in the side of the lens. If anyone attempts this, I would suggest having a spare taillight available in case the lens breaks.

The guts

Removed the reflector area

Rebuilt the reflector area. When I get more bodyfiller, I'm planning smoothing out the inside and shaping it better.

Painted leaving the the reverse light and brake lights chrome.

LED's being installed. They are simply the white LED's I've been using for most of my other projects

Reassembled

Installed

I was going to get a night picture last night but the camera dead [?|] so this will have to do until later.

#1,373 ·
That would be awesome.

I thought about doing Euro's for mine but I'm personally not a big fan of the large orange turns on them. I'd rather put orange bulbs in the US spec clear reverse light areas.

#1,379 ·
Sweet. Those look awesome but would look even better with LED's. Do it.

Looks sweet.
I think it would be cool to go all led.. But have the inner strips function as blinker and the ones around be the running light/brake lights..
(but then you would need dual intensity leds)
The dual intensity LED's is why I'm not doing it that way. At least not yet. One way I may do a full LED conversation is replacing the OEM bulbs with LED bulbs. It wouldn't be quite as cool but would at least be a step in the right direction.

They look good Bryan! Can we get a pic of the brake lights, I wanna see what they look like since the inside is completely re-shaped.
The best I have right now, but it represents the shape of the brake light light pretty well. It only really brights up where the chrome is still in place behind the bulb with a nice, defined line.

#1,374 ·
Looks sweet.
I think it would be cool to go all led.. But have the inner strips function as blinker and the ones around be the running light/brake lights..
(but then you would need dual intensity leds)

#1,380 ·
Night pictures of the taillights.

Side view with taillights only. There is no light at the top, just the reflection of the brake lights chrome backing.

Tail lights only

Tail lights and brake lights

Brake lights only. The little curve at the bottom of the brake light is more from how the camera than how it actually looks. It's a straighter line in person.

#1,385 ·
Back onto the EAP's for the summer. If the weather goes sour again, I'll put the winters on for a couple days but I don't expect in for a week of so.

BTW the car was perfectly clean on Thursday. It must be spring. lol

Teaser/progress picture of the rear "door card"

#1,393 ·
^^ True. One problem, however, is it's pig leather which is extremely tough (a good thing for me) but not very pliable so it wont stretch very well. I'm sure a professional could have done a much better job laying it I'm happy with it as is. I don't think I'd like it in the front half of the car but I'm liking it so far in the back. Time will tell and if I get sick of the leather laying like that, I'll just remove it and relay it.

BTW The wooden "box" portion is where the amp is getting installed. The paint was still do damp to install it last night.

#1,394 ·
Forgot I never posted finished pictures in here. I'm still not sure about the leather but I'm very happy with the rest.

BTW Seats are back in at least temporarily.

#1,395 ·
thats an interesting set up..
and yeah, if the leather was smooth, it would make it cleaner looking..
but looks good and awesome idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.