Focus Fanatics Forum banner

One of a kind off-road '12 Focus

5K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  sprcoop 
#1 ·
2012 FX4 Off Road Edition!

Not really, I just test-fit my leftover Blizzaks on my new 15" Voxx rims--they look pretty tiny on there, but they still look decent, and it should settle a little bit.
The tires cost me nothing (they were on the old Protege5), and I got 4 wheels, mounting kit with Gorilla splined lugs, and hubcentric rings for under $400 delivered. Just because they're snow tire doesn't mean they have to look bad.

17's back on:

See less See more
#26 ·
the S model came factory with a 195/65/15... when i went to my 215/50/17's the overall tire diameter was only half inch in difference... at 30MPH difference between the two tires is about 1 MPH... in my case fast.. when i show 30MPH on the speedo.. my actual speed is 31 MPH....

Comparing the 195/55/15 to the 195/65/15 the difference is 3/4 inch overall tire diameter.. which at 30 MPH is about 1.2MPH difference...

As far as being 8 year old tires... that is getting kinda old, but as long as they were stored correctly, out of the sun and the elements, they should be ok..

For reference..

195 x 55% = 107.25mm
107.25mm divided by 25.4mm = 4.22 inches + 15 inch rim = 19.22 inches

19.22inches x 3.14 gives you a rollout of 60.35 inches per tire revolution

for the 5 speed cars... (if i remember right in 5th gear with a 3.85:1 axle ratio at 30 MPH indicated on the speedometer is 506 axle revolutions per minute..)

so 60.35 inches x 506 = 30541 inches divided by 12 = 2545 feet per minute
2545 divided by 5280 = 0.48 Miles per minute x 60 = 28.92 MPH meaning with these tires over his stock tires his speedo will read about 1.5 to 2 MPH fast.. which is negligable...
as far as suspension geometry and handling... it shouldn't handle any differently than an S model with 15 inch factory wheels/tires.. it wont handle as well as his 17's.. but.. still should be quite drivable.

and with the narrower treadface.. they'll handle snow better than the 17's..

#4 ·
Close enough for me, also it was a recommended size on Tire Rack. Plus, they were paid for 8 years ago!

#16 ·
One other thing. The OP mentioned paying for the tires 8 years ago.......so are the tires 8 years old?? If yes they should not be used. 6 or 7 years is about the max you want to go with any tire before the rubber compound starts to break down. Those tires might not be safe to use on any car...

#17 ·
^^^ This, I suspect the rubber is hard enough that traction on dry pavement is equivalent to ice. Get them wet or snow an it's gonna be a wild ride!

Take them out and hit the brakes hard a few times to see what you are working with there. You may want to rethink that decision.

#22 ·
Tires were checked over by my local Bridgestone dealer before I had them mounted--this shop does all of my tire work, and has for years. Rubber is in very good condition, zero signs of dry rot, still plenty of tread life left, wearing very evenly. Thanks for your concerns, but I trust my tire guy.

#28 ·
I have a 66' Mustang that when tires were new could take left turns at 35+ miles an hour and only chirped when hitting the tape stripe at crosswalk (modified suspension).

After 10 years of VERY low miles and ALWAYS garaged the tires LOOKED perfect but had the traction capabilities of wet ice. I would still take it out and do some safe panic stops to test. Can't hurt. Just sayin'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.