Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Timing tool knurled end left in, any cause for issue?

797 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  iminhell 
#1 ·
Jeez, life has sucked lately. Finally starting to get this thing back to running.

Okay, I had a saga changing the timing belt, where the timing tool--which locks the crankshaft--bent and got stuck. I managed to cut out the business end, so now I don't have to worry about the crankshaft.

But the grip end is still stuck in the hole that would normally have a plug torqued into it. Basically it would act as a slightly loose plug.

Is this going to affect oil pressure or anything? Any cause for concern aside from maybe a small leak? Or do I really need to buckle down and drill it out?

#2 ·
you can leave it in there if you don't mind a leak from there. That hole is really only there to lock the crank but there are other ways to determine TDC. To keep it from leaking, you may be able to turn it out a little, squeeze high-temp rtv in there, let it set slightly, then tighten the bolt/broken lock peg. This may help act as the rubber o-ring which is part of the bolt normally in that spot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.