Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Total Cost for a Turbo Set-Up?

5K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  hurtinfocus 
#1 ·
So I've gotten a new position at work that includes a bit of extra money, comming in the form of being salaried (no more hourly wages, yay) and I got to thinking about how i'd like to do some F/I on my Focus. Now, I'm definately looking at a turbo, no S/C kit (sorry) and was wondering the total cost of the project from Vendors Shelf to installed flying down the highway. I know that some of it depends on how far you wanna go, so i'll put two options out there:

1: Low PSI turbo, stock internals, just a more "bolt on" style turbo.

2: A higher PSI turbo, non-stock internals, more than just "bolt on"

Also, I will be doing the install myself so I don't need "install" bills to be included.

I'm debating between going with a Turbo for my focus or using that money to buy a bike. The Turbo would be more "practical" for me where-as the bike will ALWAYS make the focus seem slow (but I can't use it in winter, rain, cold...)

Thanks for the input guys, I did a search, but nothing came up, perhaps this forum needs a few more stickies!!

See less See more
#3 ·
OK now lest use some realistic numbers.....

For a descent kit around 3500

building your own.... expensive as hell UNLESS you buy really cheap parts, remember you do get what you pay for.

Save yourself alot of headache and buy a kit, DYI really sucks..... it took forever to get everything together for mine, but I bought all high quality parts.

#6 ·
So, a kit is around $3500ish you say?

I'm not looking for a "build my own" style for 2 reasons:

1) I've never dabbled into the F/I scene before, so i'm not sure of everything I would need

and

2) I don't have the time to do it bit by bit right now.

So if I go for a kit, what are some things to look for? Such as what makes a good turbo? I'm fairly certain I'd like an intercooler, but is it necessary on a low boost set up?

Please remember, i'm a n00b at this, and tryin' to learn so be gentle!

#7 ·
I know someone that may be able to fab the piping, but only if you ask him real nice. [hihi] Just look around on eBay, here, or any other forum or place of sales. I know www.jgstools.com/turbo sells the exhaust mani for about 165 shipped with all that you need for a specific turbo and another 5 for the wastegate flange. Believe me, it's a lot cheaper to buy all the parts seperate and build your own. I'm going to be running a low PSI turbo for a while until I can come up with the money for a bigger boost.

#11 ·
spool3dSVT said:
didnt you BUY yours as a kit? and then interchange some things around?
Mine started out as someone elses DYI project, then I scrapped or sold almost everything except the turbo and manifold and started all over again.

#14 ·
TheGeak said:
What all is required for building your own in terms of parts? Turbo, Manifold, Injectors, MAF, TB, what else?
if you are unsure of what a turbo kit even consists of, i wouldnt bother with a DIY kit. Just get a precision kit and be done with it for 3900

turbo,intercooler, manifold, injectors, maf, charge pipes, bov/bpv, wastegate, silicone couplings, downpipe, tuning,tuning,TUNING

#15 ·
Cooter13WNY said:
That turbo better be one big monster for that cost. Get something like an Evo III 16g for $70--$800
good turbos, such as the GT 28 series by garrett, and probably the turbo tom uses, is around that cost(1200). I guess you get what you pay for with your 70 dollar turbo...

#18 ·
It's not that you should never learn anything new. I'm learning from spool3dSVT. He's really friendly.

These are the parts you need:
Turbo
Manifold
Injectors
MAF
Piping
Blow Off Valve/ Bypass Valve
Front Mount Intercooler
Wastegate
Boost and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges (wideband if possible)
Boost Controller
And a really good tune

#20 ·
I have what i feel is one of the best turbo kits on the market

I offer a STG1 turbo kit that in NON intercooled and will make a safe 200 / 200 at the wheels cost is
STG1 kit is 2795.00
Injectors and MAF 440.00
Tuning can be done with the SCT ProRacer or a local dyno and do a chip but some form of tuning will be needed

Full kit 5200.00 comes with everything but a BOV , it has the intercooler , injectors and tuning or for 465.00 you can get the SCT ProRacer and X-Cal2 this is a complete ready to go kit from 180HP to 300+HP 240HP is a good number on 93

Tom

#22 ·
Since you are in PA, you could get McNews automotive to tune it.

If it was me, I'd have Tom tune it since he's one of the best.

#23 ·
Well this is the way i figure it,I know i will prolly get jumped on but here it goes:

These are the parts you need:
Turbo=100-500 yes you get what you pay for, rebuilds possable there are deals out there
Manifold=200-300 you have zetec so you may luck out and find a nice used one cheaper
Injectors=25-400 used from a bone yard or new
MAF=5-300 you can find alot of this cheap to free depends on who you know i guess
Piping=100-300 no easy way out here get a mandrel bender , hope you dont F too many up
Blow Off Valve/ Bypass Valve=50-200
Front Mount Intercooler=150-500
Wastegate=internal or 50-200
Boost and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges (wideband if possible)100-300 for both
Boost Controller=5-500 depends if you want all bells and whistles
And a really good tune=0-500
like i said you can DIY for alot less than $6,000... I think 1,500 with good parts is reasonable
there are ways to cut cost....be patient do alot of searching,sometimes you can find people that will help you,not everyone is out there to rip you off.

well my .02 is up hope it helps

#24 ·
A 1500.00 turbo kit is just that dont expext any more out of it and do expext to work on it all the time and to have parts go bad all the time

I like to see post with list that are half full of in most cases prices that are totally worthless to use like 25.00 injectors the heart of any turbo system and im going to use 25.00 injectors how reliable do you thing a boost gauge , AF gauge for 100.00 would be
Most 100.00 turbos end up costing you 1200.00 because that one goes bad so you buy another one for 100.00 that one goes bad then you buy a good one 700.00 and wasted 300 on doing it all , i will never understand why people want to take a bunch of junk and try to make a turbo kit then wonder why it wont make good power or wont work at all

Yes GOOD quality kits cost money there is no way around that, Talk to focusguy he has a home built and has been through it , he is one of only a few that i know of that still has his kit on his car and hasent given up and i think he will tell you that his home built has now cost him more than my kit would of , Many one here have said a DIY kit does NOT save you a lot of money in the long run

Tom

#26 ·
Because not everyone has rich parents....some of us work for a living!!!!!!!!

I am saving money as we speak the only way to end this is to make our own kits and show everyone that it is possable...

YES if you want the best quality kit the easiest way possable call TOM and drop 6 g's
For the rest of us it just takes time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.