Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#2,592 ·
I used 3m green 1/2" painter tape to make the edge, and then used regular blue colored masking tape that was 2" wide and overlapped most of the green tape and did a second overlap of the blue tape which then covered almost half the tire, overspray is minimal with plasti-dip. I am a very neat painter so I didnt get any on my tires.

#2,593 ·
Finally received my purple dip, and now I don't know what to do with it. Ideas? /: I was thinking of a stripe or two, black with an adjacent purple stripe, kind of like this, but can't decide what to do.

And would a black line look good on the trunk area, like where the chrome is in this picture?

On to what I did today:

Turn signals, which actually still work magnificently.

Chrome by badge:

Lug nuts, which I'm still iffy about. They look a lot better in person though.

#2,601 ·
Honestly due to the thick nature of plastidip I would avoid it on the tails. The added layer could cause the heat buildup inside the fixture to get to the point of melting the plastic. It happened to a friend of mine with very heavy vinyl on his.

If you are going to tint the tails I suggest either nightshade or smoked vinyl. If you or someone you know is good at vinyl application it is removable and if you don't, learning experience?

#2,602 ·
Man relax I just don't understand how this process will ruin the lights. I've seen some that were done with about 3-4 coats and when the lights are turned on you can see through them. And I was a detailer before and I know how much Nightshades can ruin lamps because you need a special paint inhibitor to remove that stuff but on top of that it can remove the red color of the lenses.

#2,605 ·
Yea hear you on that, I stayed away from Nightshade just in case I wanted to go back to stock. Not too sure where a good place to pick some up for cheap would be, got a guy to do it here locally that does that sort of thing. I know that a local guy just got some you might ask him where he got it. (Screen name is SvviftSVT on here) I personally am a huge fan of the vinyl.

#2,604 ·
Lamin-X is what I used, I botched one, but the other turned out great! They have different shades that you can use, so when I do peel off the botched tail, I am replacing both with a different shade. Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy and reversible!

Good learning experience too.

#2,607 ·
I'm planning on using Nite Shade on my tails as soon as I pick up some clearcoat. I was thinking of doing vinyls but my tails have two raised parts that would probably be a pain to get them all perfect. I though Goo-be-gone or nail polish remover or something similar would get them off easily, according to youtube. That really wouldn't work?

As for dipping them, I did my turn signals and the light still shines through but not nearly as brightly. I did about six coats, if that helps, so you'd need a few less. Cars look sick blacked out but I don't think you should risk your safety with dipped tails.

As for a place to get smoke vinyl, check here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.