Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Lightweight 17" Wheels

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rambleon84 
#1 ·
After driving a loaner Focus S with 15" or 16" (I'm not sure which it was) and getting 2-3 mpg more than what I normally get with my Titanium with the handling pack, I've decided that getting lighter wheels could have a significant impact on my fuel economy.

So right now I have it narrowed down to two choices (both are under 20 lbs and $150/wheel, but I would be willing to pay more if the weight loss is good enough), and I like to see what everyone thinks:

1. Sparco Assetto Gara (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?AFFCODE=AD5&target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W29036501MGS&wheelMake=Sparco&wheelModel=Assetto+Gara&wheelFinish=Matte+Graphite+Silver&showRear=no&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Focus+5-Door&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=Titanium&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=W_19_22&sort=Brand)
A lot of people here seem to have these, so I know that they are proven, but they weight just a little more than the Andros (19 vs 18.3 lbs according to Tirerack). Also, I prefer silver rims like my current 18" titanium rims, but the closest I can get from Sparco is the dark gray or white.

2. Andros Spec D (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=D780510842MS&wheelMake=ANDROS&wheelModel=Spec+D&wheelFinish=Matte+Silver+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Focus+5-Door&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=Titanium&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=W_16_19&sort=Brand)
I like that these weight less and are in the color I want, but I cannot find any information about their quality. Anyone know anything about this brand?

One thing I noticed is that the Sparcos are 18x7.5 and the Andros are 18x8, but they both have the same recommended tire width, 215. So does this means that if I kept my current 18" titanium pack wheels, I could switch to 215 tires from the 235 Michelin PS3s?

Finally, would going from 18" wheels with 235/40 tires to 17" wheels with 215/50 tires mess up my odometer? If so, is there any way around that? Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
After driving a loaner Focus S with 15" or 16" (I'm not sure which it was) and getting 2-3 mpg more than what I normally get with my Titanium with the handling pack, I've decided that getting lighter wheels could have a significant impact on my fuel economy.
Basically figure 5 1/2 lbs off your car's effective rolling weight for every pound you remove from a wheel. So by dropping 7 lbs or so with each lightweight 18" over stock, it would be like removing ~40 lbs from the car.

You might want to just dump your 16" spare for a couple of weeks and see what difference that makes first. [:)]

One thing I noticed is that the Sparcos are 18x7.5 and the Andros are 18x8, but they both have the same recommended tire width, 215. So does this means that if I kept my current 18" titanium pack wheels, I could switch to 215 tires from the 235 Michelin PS3s?
Possibly, but check load ratings since you'll likely be going to something with less air volume.

Finally, would going from 18" wheels with 235/40 tires to 17" wheels with 215/50 tires mess up my odometer? If so, is there any way around that? Thanks in advance!
There shouldn't be a noticeable effect, a couple of percent difference at worst case.

#3 ·
Basically figure 5 1/2 lbs off your car's effective rolling weight for every pound you remove from a wheel. So by dropping 7 lbs or so with each lightweight 18" over stock, it would be like removing ~40 lbs from the car.

You might want to just dump your 16" spare for a couple of weeks and see what difference that makes first. [:)]
x4...

So it's more like driving without an adult male in the passenger seat everywhere you go.

I've got 1500 miles on the ticker and already looking for some lightweight 18's to put on the car over my factory 17's. Either that or just keep these 17's and have them as roadtrip fodder wheels. No reason to mess up a new set.

#4 ·
If you keep the same overall tire height it shouldn't effect anything.

P.s - if you decide to get rid of your 18's I may know someone interested :)

#5 ·
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

#10 ·
as you go down in rim size you will naturally go up in profile of the tire. this will naturally give you a greater volume of air in the tire and many benefits. benefits would be a softer more comfortable ride, lighter wheel and the tire will be lighter too, especially if its a lesser width. better gas mileage, drastically improved all wheather handling, tighter tuning radius, less wear and tear on you suspension components and less prone to tire bulges and rim damage from pot holes.
you will lose those i corner g forces though.
i just went through this dilemma. i just ordered a new sfe and just ordered new wheels and tires before i even recieved the car. i ordered the sfe for the all around disc brakes and cant stand the though of hub caps and the tires are know to be awful in the winter so i ordered mono winter 2 wheels and 205/65/15 tires. 94h speed and weight rating. the tire will stick out the same as the 215/55/16 since the wheel offset of 40 pushes it out 10mm over the 50mm stock and the height is actually slightly taller than the original. So you have many choices out there and if you still want a large diameter rim check out centerlines or team dynamics.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, I went with the Sparcos and Continental ContiProContact LRR tires (215/50R-17). I figured the decreased weight along with the narrower, LRR tires would boost my fuel economy.

The actual weight decrease per corner was only 6 lbs, but after a couple thousand miles, I'm seeing about a 10% increase in mileage (3-4 MPG). When summer comes around, it'll probably be even better. So swapping out the wheels/tires was worth it for me. Here's how they look:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.