Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)

645K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  alex_5161 
#1 ·
My 2012 Titanium has an annoying low speed strut rattle. When it was new it wasn't there. It took a few weeks to materialize. It's only heard at low speeds. While turning or braking it is super noticeable. The service department freely acknowledged the sound was there. I must give them credit for not denying it.
We took the car to the dealer ship, and found nothing "technically" wrong. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. Yes. It really wasn't there anymore. I was thrilled.
However, it returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it.
Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound IS strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics not to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
The solution so far is only very temporary. I'd like to know if others are getting this noise.
Will Ford or the strut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to be seen.

See less See more
#900 ·
#917 ·
Thomas,

For those of us forced to do the repair on our own, is there any way you could put the proper repair procedure in our hands, complete with torque specs?...
I don't have access to this type of information. Please check with your dealer to see if they can provide these details to you.

...Got my car back today...it took them half the day instead of the full day. I just took it for a 45 min spin...and wowsa...its finally quiet!!! My car was clunking from the first day I bought it new...so this is a nice change. Here's to hoping this is a permanent fix...
Wow...do I get a royalty for each copy of my TSB that's uploaded?
(teasing)
Clunk-free! Silence is golden; now you can blaze your own trail with yellow bricks! [thumb] Enjoy the road ahead with this badge: http://social.ford.com/grab-a-badge/focus/yes/. Please PM me if you need anything.

Well, I'm at the dealership again to see if they will apply this TSB. I left glowing feedback with Thomas about how well they had treated me up until that point, so hopefully they actually get it taken care of this time...
...On a side note, dispite my glowing review of my service department sent via Thomas and my previous documentation of having the problem, today is a black day. I just placed my bearings on order.
I hope they're continuing to go above and beyond the call of duty! [:D] What do you mean by, "today is a black day?" Are you referring to the fact that parts need to be ordered?

Thomas

#907 ·
In case anyone is wanting to experiment, the ford parts catalouge has the part number for the ST level strut bearing assemblies CV6Z-18183-B or motorcraft AD-1098. Perhaps these will be slightly higher quality pieces.

#908 ·
Well, I'm at the dealership again to see if they will apply this TSB. I left glowing feedback with Thomas about how well they had treated me up until that point, so hopefully they actually get it taken care of this time...

#910 ·
you're welcome man. Let us know if it does any good, looking at the list prices of the two the ST level part isn't terribly much more ($11 vs $16)

The ST rear bumper cover I've already checked on is a mere $489. wow

ST rear spoiler : $1074. OUCH

#914 ·
Looking at the parts catalogue exploded view, the AD-1098 part is the strut mount, not the strut bearing. However, it is listed as being different from the standard strut mount on the non-ST Focus, which leads me to believe that they dial a bit more camber into the front suspension over the base Focus strut mounts.

It seems that the ST still uses the same strut bearing (AD-1094) as the rest of the lineup, for now.

I'll be picking up the strut mounts anyway, since my car's lowered. I could use the extra camber.

So, that being said, I'll be ordering the ST mounts and a new set (L & R) of front bearings, which I'll probably pair up with some Koni Yellows (for the Mazdaspeed3) all around. Guess I'll order the mounts and bearings, and then work on ordering the Konis at the end of the month.

#915 ·
Looking at the parts catalogue exploded view, the AD-1098 part is the strut mount, not the strut bearing. However, it is listed as being different from the standard strut mount on the non-ST Focus, which leads me to believe that they dial a bit more camber into the front suspension over the base Focus strut mounts.

It seems that the ST still uses the same strut bearing (AD-1094) as the rest of the lineup, for now.
You are exactly correct, I just went back and double checked that. The basic 18183 is the mount. Odd that only this piece would be diff for an ST focus but that seems to be the case

#932 ·
Thomas,

How much is FORD looking at this from our perspective and taking note of poor service visits? I would hope they'd be using some of this info to go after poor service performers and use a shape up or ship out attitude. How do you think/feel about cars getting turned away for warrantied service?

Thanks...

#934 ·
Thomas, for those of us who still have the noise after the TSB and the dealer says they're done until Ford tells them otherwise, what is Ford doing about this because obviously this TSB isn't the answer for all of us. Documenting all this isn't helping if Ford isn't working on the next step.
Hey guys -

I totally understand; cars getting turned away do not please me at all. [:(] Documentation helps provide our engineering rep with useful information. This is vital to see if anything else can be done.

If anyone is still experiencing a front-end clunk, please PM me your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer city/state; I'll send this to our appropriate rep.

Thomas

#933 ·
Thomas, for those of us who still have the noise after the TSB and the dealer says they're done until Ford tells them otherwise, what is Ford doing about this because obviously this TSB isn't the answer for all of us. Documenting all this isn't helping if Ford isn't working on the next step.

#935 · (Edited)
Try this

This is a follow up to my previous post (and invoices) on page 67 of this thread.

I developed a knocking/rattle noise from front suspension a few months after purchase. TSB 11-11-2 was applied and strut parts were replaced in January 2012. That fixed my noise temporarily. The exact same noise returned a few weeks after TSB service. To my ears, my noise never sounded like any crunching or creaking noise. The sounds I’ve heard resembled more like a billiard ball knocking around in a coffee cup in a muffled low bass way or similar to a rubber lined mug. Weird description but best way to describe it. It made the noises when driving slowly over small bumps and uneven pavement.

The previous TSB’s for strut service all describe a crunching or creaking noise at low speed turns on even pavement. I never heard those sounds from my car, only the knocking rattling sounds with up and down strut movement.

After three previous attempts to repair car at original dealer, I was told by service manager that a Ford Field Technician had driven my car and decided it was “strut chuckle” and there was nothing more Ford would offer to fix my problem. I took my car to another dealer (Galpin Ford) and spoke to service manager Leonard Arsanos. Leonard arranged for his suspension expert to drive my car around their neighborhood to duplicate the problem. The suspension guy agreed that the noise was “noticeable and evident” and shouldn’t be characteristic of the car. Galpin kept the car overnight, hooked up chassis ears to struts and drove it around. They isolated the sound to the front strut jounce bumpers. The service manager said he wouldn’t say if previous service was done incorrectly, he only stated that there was absolutely no lube, nada on the jounce bumpers. Since service, I’ve driven the car over multiple, routine road surfaces that always produced the knocks before and two weeks later I’m still noise free.

I don’t know if this is a fix for others, but I recall reading someone’s posting last fall (in another thread) regarding their Focus apparently came from the factory with no lube on the jounce bumpers. I’m now wondering if original TSB done for my car was necessary if there weren’t defective parts but only lack of lube??? Do Ford specs require lube, should there be lube on the jounce bumpers or not??? Are some dealers doing TSB part swaps and adding lube, while others aren’t???

It apparently worked on my long term knocker. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Invoice below is from Galpin dated July 24, 2012.
p.s.
the invoice describes a creaking noise, I never heard any creaking.... not sure how it may have sounded thru the chassis ears?

#936 ·
This is a follow up to my previous post (and invoices) on page 67 of this thread.

I developed a knocking/rattle noise from front suspension a few months after purchase. TSB 11-11-2 was applied and strut parts were replaced in January 2012. That fixed my noise temporarily. The exact same noise returned a few weeks after TSB service. To my ears, my noise never sounded like any crunching or creaking noise. The sounds I’ve heard resembled more like a billiard ball knocking around in a coffee cup in a muffled low bass way or similar to a rubber lined mug. Weird description but best way to describe it. It made the noises when driving slowly over small bumps and uneven pavement.

The previous TSB’s for strut service all describe a crunching or creaking noise at low speed turns on even pavement. I never heard those sounds from my car, only the knocking rattling sounds with up and down strut movement.

After three previous attempts to repair car at original dealer, I was told by service manager that a Ford Field Technician had driven my car and decided it was “strut chuckle” and there was nothing more Ford would offer to fix my problem. I took my car to another dealer (Galpin Ford) and spoke to service manager Leonard Arsanos. Leonard arranged for his suspension expert to drive my car around their neighborhood to duplicate the problem. The suspension guy agreed that the noise was “noticeable and evident” and shouldn’t be characteristic of the car. Galpin kept the car overnight, hooked up chassis ears to struts and drove it around. They isolated the sound to the front strut jounce bumpers. The service manager said he wouldn’t say if previous service was done incorrectly, he only stated that there was absolutely no lube, nada on the jounce bumpers. Since service, I’ve driven the car over multiple, routine road surfaces that always produced the knocks before and two weeks later I’m still noise free.

I don’t know if this is a fix for others, but I recall reading someone’s posting last fall (in another thread) regarding their Focus apparently came from the factory with no lube on the jounce bumpers. I’m now wondering if original TSB done for my car was necessary if there weren’t defective parts but only lack of lube??? Do Ford specs require lube, should there be lube on the jounce bumpers or not??? Are some dealers doing TSB part swaps and adding lube, while others aren’t???

It apparently worked on my long term knocker. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Invoice below is from Galpin dated July 24, 2012.
p.s.
the invoice describes a creaking noise, I never heard any creaking.... not sure how it may have sounded thru the chassis ears?

So the next question I have is...where are the jounce bumpers? I'm pretty mechanically inclined...but this one I'm not familiar with.

#940 ·
It is on the s too. been fighting with ford they tell me its cause i live on a gravel road..!
i tell them bull and they tell me to pound salt and they just park it out back for the day!
I washed the undercarrage till i could eat off it, drove off the hoist and what did i hear!!!!!?

Posted via FF Mobile

#945 ·
SUCCESS. [pray]

Let me tell you though, I ain't a holdin' mah breath [80?]...definitely being all ears when I drive this thing for the next week or two and hoping I can exhale knowing full well that the erk crunch creek rattle bangdiggity however you describe it is gone!!!!! whew

#946 ·
Well...I hope I'm wrong about this...but it kinda sounds like the clunking is returning on the driver's side. It has been intermittent it seems.

I'll post an update if so. This will be a really tough pill to swallow if I need to keep dealing with this on a brand new car.

#949 ·
Hate to say this but occasionally i will hit a decent bump that I get that old familar clunk sound but it's only that one bump. it doesn't rattle and clunk like it used too. So techically I can't say that the clunking returned like it did but another thing too. when I pull into my driveway. When my front drivers side tire hits the curb I get that old metallic sound. Im hoping thats just the brake caliper.

So basically I'm starting to get a faint sound of that old clunk when hitting some rough spots but not every time. Very strange. I hope it will never get any worse than now.

#952 ·
Here's a list of the current problems I have with the Focus:

- Transmission stutters in 1st gear
- Head liner rattles and vibrates near Moonroof
- Rear View mirror doesn't stay at the same position, dips slowly (this is aggravating!)
- Oh yeah, and the clunking is still there

Super frustrated and if Ford won't help who will?

This Focus is the worst car I've ever owned, hands down! Not even fun to drive anymore.

#953 ·
  1. Have you had all of the updates done?
  2. Known problem, a lot of people have it including myself. Ford will
    either replace the headliner, or glue it back in place.
  3. Known problem, a lot of people have it including myself. Some have
    had their mirrors replaced, but no reports yet on if the new mirrors also
    exhibit the same behavior. I'm holding off until I hear more.
  4. Known problem with no permanent fix as of yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.