Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Considering a ST?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Peregrine 
#1 ·
According to Motor Authority:

One other thing potential buyers should consider carefully is whether they want the deeply bolstered Recaro sport seats or not. We appreciated their firm comfort and good support (no bracing required in the passenger seat). But they'll prove simply too deep and too narrow for many American-size drivers, so if you can, sit in them. The base ST gets essentially the same seat that's in upper-trim U.S. Focus SE models, so wider drivers should stick to that.

Months ago I sat in a ST with the leather Recaros. I'm 6'0" / 165 lbs and the driver's seat was *snug*. Motor Authority is not exaggerating in the slightest about the bolsters being deep and narrow. If you (or your passenger) are even slightly wide, you should either try before you buy or go for the base model.

#2 ·
The entire point of a high performance seat is to keep one's ass in place instead of sliding around.
I have a natually wide ass, and the Sport SE (manual tranny) seats are decent, but still could be tighter for a performance fit.
So if the driver wants a sofa to sit on, then yeah, do not get the Ricaro seats..
If I had the chance, i will buy a ST Ricaro for my driver's seat on my SE. Fat ass and all.
(I want a bucket my ass fits into like a tight glove. [nutkick]

#10 ·
The entire point of a high performance seat is to keep one's ass in place instead of sliding around.
I have a natually wide ass, and the Sport SE (manual tranny) seats are decent, but still could be tighter for a performance fit.
So if the driver wants a sofa to sit on, then yeah, do not get the Ricaro seats..
If I had the chance, i will buy a ST Ricaro for my driver's seat on my SE. Fat ass and all.
(I want a bucket my ass fits into like a tight glove. [nutkick]
Pics or fail! [:)][whip]

#5 ·
I'm 6'4'' and 240 LBS. I fit fine in the seats. I would use the ST for road trips to Vegas. I have sat in the race seats that Mitsu put in the newer model EVO and the seats are great for an hour of racing. But if I had to use the EVO for trips to Vegas. I would have to rent a car.

#6 ·
People are stupid! I don't get reviews like that. I just put sparco race seats in my car that hug my ass and I love the trips I have made in them thus far. If you like normal style sofas that let you slide everywhere then go buy a regular econo box because chances are that is more your tastes if you don't want a seat that hugs you at all.

#7 ·
yeah this is silly, for a couple reasons... one yes fat americans is funny (sad) and two, of course!

i mean my brother's town car has comfortable seats but if you decided to not wear a seat belt and took a moderate turn, you'd end up on the other side of the car. [hihi]

I'm not a wide fellow, give me the tightest seats they make please!

#9 · (Edited)
I think anyone paying the money for Recaro sport seats expects them to be snug. If at 6'0" and 165 lbs you found them to be too tight a fit, methinks maybe you just don't like a tight-fitting sport seat. Whether they are too snug for the stereotypical overweight American is irrelevant to me, because I really hope that designing sports cars for fat people is not where we're headed.

There is a brand new review of the ST over at Jalopnik, written by Bill Caswell, whom I admire. He calls the ST's Recaros "the best car seats I've ever sat in." 'Nuff said, IMO.

http://jalopnik.com/5922133/ford-focus-st-the-jalopnik-review?tag=jalopnik-reviews

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.