Focus Fanatics Forum banner

High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST

806K views 1K replies 303 participants last post by  Arty 
#1 ·

Come Visit The Ford ST Team At FocusFest 2011:

Enthusiasts of the much-loved SVT Focus, take heart, and start your engines. Ford will deliver on its promise of a high-performance version of the next-generation Focus, previewing a muscular Focus ST at the Paris Motor Show Sept. 30. Targeted for global launch in 2012, ST will be Ford's first high-performance model developed under its global performance vehicles strategy. With its own 2.0-liter EcoBoost™, ST will offer enthusiasts an intoxicating mix of exhilarating performance and handling, not to mention a most addictive sound.

• Exciting new next-generation Ford Focus gears up for Paris launch of full production-ready range of bodystyles together for the first time
  • Global reveal of new high-performance 250 PS Focus ST for 2012 launch
  • New Mondeo and C-MAX ranges on show
  • Ford accelerates efforts to reduce CO2 emissions with high-efficiency Ford ECOnetic Technologies and Electrification feature displays
  • September 30: Alan Mulally and Stephen Odell to unveil the next-generation Focus family at 09.15 on the Ford stand in Hall 1

The exciting new next-generation Ford Focus range is the star attraction in Ford Motor Company's display at the 2010 Paris Motor Show on September 30.

For the first time, the complete global Ford Focus line-up of three production-ready dynamic bodystyles will be displayed together, providing customers with a full insight into this significant new model before it goes on sale in Europe and North America early in 2011.

Ford is also delivering on its promise to introduce a global performance version of the new Focus with a world premiere for the exciting flagship of the range, the muscular 250 PS Focus ST. The dramatic new ST will launch in early 2012 and will be revealed on September 30 at the Ford stand by Alan Mulally, Ford’s President and CEO, and Stephen Odell, Chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe.

First Global Product
The formal launch of the full production-ready Focus range in Paris is highly significant for Ford, as it signals the introduction of the first truly global product developed under the Company’s ONE Ford strategy.

The Focus is Ford's most significant car range globally. Developed at Ford's Global centre of excellence for Small Cars in Germany for sale in over 120 markets worldwide, the next-generation model is the most important Focus yet and is created from Ford Motor Company's new global C segment platform with up to 80 per cent parts commonality around the world. This platform will underpin at least ten vehicles globally and account for some two million units of annual production by 2012.

With the complete range of three bodystyles on display in Paris for the first time – sporty five-door, elegant four-door and stylish wagon – show goers will have an exclusive opportunity to see and experience the car’s individual design and class leading technology first hand.

New Focus promises to outsmart its competitors by offering more affordable technologies and features than customers have ever experienced in this critical vehicle segment. Next-generation Focus also offers customers the highest standards of quality and detailed craftsmanship, plus outstanding fuel economy, and will take the legendary Focus driving dynamics to a new level.

Previewing the exciting new Focus ST
At the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, Ford Motor Company's group vice president for Global Product Development, Derrick Kuzak, promised that an exciting new performance version of the next generation Ford Focus was in development.

At Paris, Ford is delivering on that promise by revealing an early preview model of the exciting next-generation Ford Focus ST. Targeted for launch in all global markets from early 2012, the all-new Ford Focus ST will be Ford's first high-performance model developed under its global Performance Vehicles strategy.

The new range-topping Focus – which features a unique 250 PS version of the new 2.0-litre, four-cylinder Ford EcoBoost engine – will be completely true to Ford's ST heritage, offering driving enthusiasts an intoxicating cocktail of exhilarating performance and handling accompanied by an addictive sound.

Visitors to the Paris display also cannot fail to notice the show car’s highly distinctive sports exterior, which is finished in 'Tangerine Scream', a dramatic new body colour that reflects the new ST’s exciting and energetic character.

New Mondeo and C-MAX on Display
Taking their place alongside the next-generation Focus family will be five-door and wagon versions of the new Mondeo range, which was previewed at the recent Moscow International Automobile Salon. The Paris show sees the debut of the ultra-low CO2 Mondeo ECOnetic version. The Ford stand also showcases the latest S-MAX and Galaxy models which were launched earlier in 2010.

The all-new Ford C-MAX and Grand C-MAX will be represented by high series Titanium models fitted with a Ford EcoBoost 1.6-litre 180 PS petrol engine and the updated 2.0-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel. Bringing new levels of style and desirability to the compact Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV) market, the all-new Ford C-MAX is the first production model using Ford's exciting new global C-segment platform. The Grand C-MAX also goes on sale in North America in late 2011.

Lower CO2 Emissions across the Ford Range
Ford is accelerating its efforts to minimise fuel consumption and CO2 emissions across its product range, and two important new entries to the Ford of Europe product portfolio are being displayed at Paris – a new Ford Mondeo ECOnetic model and a new Ford Ka derivative with standard Ford Auto-Start-Stop system.

These new models follow the significant new developments which have already been introduced during 2010, including the launch of the new high-efficiency Ford EcoBoost turbocharged direct injection petrol engine family and completely updated versions of the powerful yet highly fuel-efficient Duratorq TDCi diesel engines.

Ford is also moving forward with its European electrification program and will be displaying for the first time the core technology destined to drive its C-MAX PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle), that will be produced at the Valencia plant in Spain and is due to go on sale in Europe from 2013.

Along with the wider introduction of low-CO2 Ford ECOnetic Technologies such as Eco Mode and Smart Regenerative Charging, Ford of Europe is on track to surpass its goal of a 30 per cent reduction in CO2 emissions from its new vehicles by 2020, relative to a 2006 model year baseline.

"The launch of the complete new Focus range, plus the global debut of the high-performance ST model, makes this Paris Show not only very exciting for Ford, but also highly significant," said Stephen Odell, Chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe. "With the all-new C-MAX also on the Paris stand, along with the latest Mondeo, S-MAX and Galaxy models, it’s clear that the pace of change within Ford remains as aggressive as ever."

See less See more
1 11
This post has been deleted
#625 ·
No it does not!!!!

Sorry, I thought I was required to disagree with you...

#628 ·
Love the ST, like everone else does. Let's hope & pray we don't get a watered down or diluting the euro version over here, stateside. And one know or specilate the type of suspension, as far as is it similiar to the corant one or not? Can any one say "GLH"= Goes like Hell, for a latter day version of the Dodge Omni GLH, that came out in '83, does any one remember thou? Can any one say "Shelby Focus" for 2013? Thats on the table at Ford. Hopefully it gets to the front burner!!!!!!! Hell-yeah!!!!!!!

#632 ·
Ford will be useing their awesome "Revoknuckle" in the ST. Now lets see if they add a Torsen too!!!! I believe they will standard equipment it, they have to. Are they doing to offer a stripped down model? No Nav, etc?

#633 ·
You better bring proof if you are going to say things like this. I have read nothing about the revo-knuckle being in the ST, but if it is, its a completely different transmission, and it would not have a Torsen, as its a new completely different trans. (I would have a form of LSD in it however.)

Anyway, proof of revo-knuckle please.

#637 ·
Posted via FF Mobile Found what I read. Here you go Kyle, read this.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford’s...uckle-and-technology-trickle-down/#more-36511

"So does that mean the Focus ST will get the RevoKnuckle suspension? Capito is noncommittal, but hints at something related. “What is clear is that everything we’ve learned we will use. Not necessarily with the same parts but the same results.” Capito also explains that, for performance vehicles, a mechanical solution is the only way to solve powertrain or handling issues. Don’t expect a brake-based, electronic “limited-slip” system on the ST, like the one included on all other Focii. “A high-performance car shouldn’t use electronics to overcome mechanical inefficiencies.”"

So pretty much we'll be getting a mechanical lsd. We wont be getting revoknuckle in the ST though....we'll be getting revoknuckle 3. [;)]

This is as proof as your going to get, but stop yelling at felixthecat, since half of what he is saying was direct quotes.

#638 ·
I've read that drkknight, I've read everything, that doesn't say anything about it getting revo-knuckle, it only states it won't have an electronic "limited-slip". So he is still spouting hear-say rumors.

#639 ·
Posted via FF Mobile [?]

"So does that mean the Focus ST will get the RevoKnuckle suspension? Capito is noncommittal, but hints at something related. “What is clear is that everything we’ve learned we will use. Not necessarily with the same parts but the same results.”

It doesnt say it will have an LSD either, we can only base this off of Capitos words of suggestion, and he suggest a similar feature to revoknuckle being used just as much as he suggests a lsd will be used.

Also why were you talking about transmissions, revokunckle has nothing to do with the trans.

#640 ·
#641 ·
I'd be very surprised if they went with a mechanical differential. Many car companies are switching to electronic differential systems for a reason. It would be a step backwards to switch back to mechanical because it would add weight, cost, and reduce fuel economy. As much as I'd like to see one too, I just don't think it's going to happen if they plan to keep it competitively priced.

The 2012 Focus's torque vectoring system is different from other manufacturers' electronical differential systems in that it doesn't involve any engine braking. So with the Focus you can keep the engine nicely revved during hard cornering. I think the ST might improve upon that in some way, in addition to modifications in the suspension (not necessarily revoknuckle). That's all they're saying. It's vague enough that it would be pointless to draw any conclusions from his statements.

#642 ·
Ok,
So I was reading some of those links and links in the links and read that the new base Focus motor is a 2.0L putting out 160hp. Isn't that 10 shy of the SVTf and the same as what the 2.3L (05 ST) was putting out?

I'm asking myself why did it take from the mid '80s to 2000 to increase base motors from about 90-100hp to about 130 but yet it takes less than 10 years to jump another 30hp.....

And with that even the Base Focus doesn't seem to shabby on its own.

#644 ·
My buddy thinks his SVT is like the fastest car on the planet. lol He always puts my ST down saying its weak in comparison, I'm like, dude its the same car essentially. My car is a 2.3 with about 158-160 HP (with CAI) and about 160 TQ (with CAI) and his stock SVT is a 2.0 with high compression giving him 171 HP and about 146 TQ. What he doesnt get is that my car makes up in TQ what it lacks in HP. And the key thing here is that HP sells cars, and TQ wins races. My car is literally the same as his, we would be neck in neck if we were to ever race.

#645 ·
Grunt!

Thats one reason why I like the 23 motor, is the torque, even thou they are 2 different style of motors. I love to have another 50lbs of torque. And that takes boost or nox. I love the SVT's.

#647 ·
^^^He'll still think his car is faster though...its a pride issue lol and yes, I will need to see more specs before pulling the trigger and committing to buying the new ST.

#648 ·
Posted via FF Mobile Throw some svt springs on and then youll have the same suspension as well. You already have the dampers. Better yet, go to Focus Fest with him and compete in the SVT vs ST races...see who wins.

#649 ·
Ill be in basic training :( But guess what? He JUST called me and told me he just impulsively bought an 09' Cobalt SS turbo. O gawd! something else for him to boast about lol I would have to go turbo to compete with that! BTW Hes selling his SVT if anyone in the Cincy area is interested lol

#650 ·
You'll have to run a pretty serious setup to keep up in a straight line with the SS...people rag on them, but nobody could touch them stock for stock except the MS3.

Have fun trying to catch him anywhere, unless he's a total moron (which sounds like it might be the case).

#652 ·
Please have him remove that wing, and get one of the M3 style lip spoilers off an E46, they are on Ebay cheap, and look WAY WAY better.

Like this:

#656 ·
I doubt the ST will be as fast at the SS Turbo stock for stock. The SS is a performance bargain for sure. The ST will be much nicer to DD, but in an all out battle, the SS will almost surely outperform it.
A. lighter (probably)
B. more power

#657 ·
Posted via FF Mobile I have to agree, I mean we gotta wait and see the specs, but those cobalt turbos were no joke. Night and day compared to the previous s/c version. They didnt just add a turbo ecotec, they tuned the hell out of the suspension and made the whole thing stiffer. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, fastest Ive seen was 5.5. It held the title for quickest fwd car on the Nurburgring until a Renult took the crown, but it was pretty much a glorified race car that just made it to street worthy status. The Cobalt you could actually drive day to day. Well have to see what the ST brings out. It might be able to kill the SS in the handling department if they do indeed put a version of revoknuckle on it, I have no doubts the chassie is stiffer then the cobalts either. But what will be the deciding factor besides weight, is how quick will it be. I will be surprised if it does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, although very happy, but Im going to estimate like 5.9?

BUT thats between you and your boy. In the real industry comparison itll be the ST vs the Cruze SS if it ever comes out...and in that match I think the ST will come out ontop as the better car. The cruze is a FATTY!

#658 ·
I think I read somewhere that the ST should have a 0-60 in at least 6.0 seconds flat. So We'll see, might be even better which would be nice. The handling should be better than the SS and I'm curious if they will come out with a Cruze SS.

#659 ·
As far as I can tell the ST will be more like a mix between the Cobalt SS, MS3, and GTI.
Cobalt because it will genuinely be high performance and have a 2.0T
MS3 because of the size and shape, 6 speed manual, etc...
GTI because it should be very nice quality and more refined than the Chevy or Mazda

It can/should be able to accomodate potential buyers of all kinds of hot performance compact.

#661 ·
I have to agree with your description there. Do you think the ST would be worth the cost though? Theyre saying it will be up to $28,000. I could get a V-8 Mustang with that and be fast N/A without mods.

#702 ·
Lot of cashola!!!!

Wow, that's lot of cashola, How much are they going to price the "Shelby" version, or the "RS" version, if they come out w/ thou's? So far the best deal on a new car would be the Shelby GT500, for what you get, performance wise of course. Price out a GT or a Boss, your almost there w/ a GT500. [thumb] The ST should be around the base WRX or Speed3 price if you ask me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.