Focus Fanatics Forum banner

my Pike's Peak Hillclimb pics

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  grpb 
#1 ·
So, I have just gotten back from a month long roadtrip. In the 10,000 km i covered, i happened to swing by Pike's Peak just as the hill climb was going on. Unfortunately our schedule didnt allow us to watch the official race day, we did get up one morning at 3 am to watch practice runs (which started at 5:30).
They had the drivers and the mountain divided in 3 parts. I picked to watch the open wheel cars ands all the unlimited / exhibition stuff, which happen to be on the lower section (read: trees). the bikes, quads, pro-stock, vintage stuff were all up above the tree line. the road up the mountain is half gravel and half paved.

if you dont know pike peak go here : www.ppihc.com

some of these pics are in my full road trip thread in Showroom, but thes ones fit well here.

heres the pics and vids.

Ford Fiesta ST

open wheeled

Ford Fiesta (800hp AWD, used for rally-x etc, driven by Markus Gronholm)

Freightliner big rig

stock 2009 Ford Fiesta. the driver of the other crazy fiesta did his practice run in this because his 800hp fiesta was getting repaired

at the top 14000ft.

some of the switchbacks

See less See more
#5 ·
Those big rigs certainly show more hustle than one would believe. Sadly, I missed the race this year ... but being that I live about 20 min down the hill, I usually go to this event yearly. It's a great time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.