Focus Fanatics Forum banner

?How To?-Getrag Shift Linkage-Counterweight Removal

200K views 382 replies 160 participants last post by  Svtsc 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s a close up of the bolt you’ll need to remove.
3) Using a 13mm socket, remove the bolt, and the counterweight and bushings will come right out.

EDIT
For some reason, the first 2 posts for step 1) and 2) are missing.
1) Remove the airbox.
2) Remove the bolt holding the counterweight on.
EDIT-II:
Hint: Shift the transmission to Reverse for easiest access to the bolt.

And, here's a wider angle shot of the counterweight, just after removing the airbox:
(click on thumbnail for larger version)

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
I just did this and all i have to say is HOLY SHIT!!!!!! Not only are the shifts crisper, but the shifter feesl even lighter. One thing though, I think there should be a little bit of weight put back on, instead of the heavy one we lready have. I have yet to put my Mac engine mount on, but I hope that will further increase my ability to go faster.

#29 ·
leave the bracket on but just take that 5lb weight off. this works great i just did it and the shifter already feels lighter. popping and proping the hood up took longer then to take off that little bolt can't wait for my sts. i even thought about just hacking 4 inches off my shifter but i don't want to hack it up so i'll just buy a real sts.

yeah it sucks jay. happend to me during an autocross lol. finished that run in 90 seconds [:D] my quickest run was around 40 seconds lol. i've had it pop off going into 4th on the on ramp but i was already approaching 90 mph so i was pushing it [:)~]

#32 ·
hey guys sorry to jump on the bandwagon too but i did it as well, but i don't think i'm as happy as you guys. i have a stage 4 clutch and a sts already maybe thats why it's so different. the pull and push of the throw is alot better for sure. But the issue i have is the pop that i get when i pull it out and put it back it gear, maybe the issue is with my clutch it was has been acting wierd pedal is very soft but the clutch still grabs like a mofo. i just seems a lil harder to get into get gear put the rest is fine!! hey were can i check the tranny fluid to make sure i not driving around dry!?!

#38 ·
I like it now [:)] nust drove it a bit more, and I can deal with quick, easy shifts [thumb]

It "Feels" like if you really slam it into gear it would snap the linkages, but I guess that is because there is no weight pushing against the shifteranymore....I don't slam it into gear, but I will keep this in the back of my mind......all in all, AWESOME!

this and the Fog light mod are the best mods of all of 'em........FREE!!!

#41 ·
I did this some time ago. Overall I'm very pleased with the results, but I can see why Ford added it. The gate effort remains close to the same as it was, just the effort from gate to gate is much much less. The result was, in my mind, a lighter but more notchy shifter. Also, the extra inertia seemed to be hiding a slightly, ragged, or perhaps harsh feeling to the action. The latter was diminished when I switched the tranny fluid to RP. I'd personally recomment the RP fluid swap as well, especially when doing this.

Now, this isnt quick jacking the thread since we are talking about linkages. The only thing keeping my shifter from the next level of perfection is a bit of play in the horizontal shift linkage. In a gate, or anywhere else, I can move the stick maybe 5/8" horizontally before the linkage gets any force applied to it. Just feels loose and sloppy inside that bracket. Vertically it is snug; Has anybody else experienced this, or more importantly, fixed it? While I was in there I tried to see if it was a problem where they attach, and it didnt seem to be. I popped up the shift boot and I'd guess its where the cables mount on my STS. Previous owner did that before I got to the car, so I dont know how it went together or if he did something wrong. Does anyone suppose the problem is there?

#42 · (Edited)
Found the thread this afternoon at work and just did this mod and took the car for a test drive this evening. The notchiness is a bit more noticeable, but the overall effort is much lighter. A good mod and the price is right!

Great find Doug[thumb]

So far, I've added a VF rear mount, Ford Racing STS, removed the shift linkage counter weight and switched to Royal Purple tranny fluid. I think the shifting on this car is about as good as its going to get.

#43 ·
Holy Cow!!
I had no idea this would generate that much interest.

Just a couple observations, and some question answering:
1) bacarl: anyone know if a non-SVT MTX has this counterweight?
Yes, but from what I read on FJ:
(see linked thread in first post, or search for "counterweight" on FJ...there's 3 threads actually)...
The MTX-75 requires you to cut off the counterweight. It's not bolted on, it's an integral part of the linkage.

2) svtguy21: but i don't think i'm as happy as you guys. i have a stage 4 clutch and a sts already maybe thats why it's so different.
Do you rev-match regularly?
Not questioning your shifting prowess, but with the rather vague stock setup (shifting wise),
I pretty much rev-match no matter what.
I'm not sure how a different clutch would affect this, but (speaking for myself anyway), I'm glad to hear the feedback.
Thanks.

3) SVT Robzor: The result was, in my mind, a lighter but more notchy shifter.
Yep, I must agree.
That counterweight was really masking a lot of the notchiness.
In my mind, it feels much more like a top-loader (longitudinal engine/rear wheel drive/direct linkage tranny).
Yes, it's "notchy", but I like that. There's absolutely no "vagueness" to it anymore.
Again, rev-matching just makes it oh-so-sweet now. [thumb]

4) HaveBlue83: It "Feels" like if you really slam it into gear it would snap the linkages,
but I guess that is because there is no weight pushing against the shifteranymore....

Exactly.
There's the reason that Artood2s was looking for when he asked, "why did Ford put the weight there in the first place?"
Frankly, I'd like to know/feel if I'm mashing it into gear, versus have some mechanism hiding it.
There's no telling how much damage you're doing to the synchros with the weight on there.

5) SVT Robzor: In a gate, or anywhere else, I can move the stick maybe 5/8" horizontally before the linkage gets any force applied to it.
That's about where mine (FRPP STS) is at as well. [dunno]
But, that's a lot less slop than the stock shifter ever had.

===========================================

Again, thanks for the feedback/impressions/results/suggestions.
Keep em coming!

I found myself shifting twice as often on the way home from work this evening.
In fact, I even took the "long" route so I could shift some more. [:D]

#44 ·
^^^yeah....feels like a...DARE I SAY.....PRO 5.0 shifter [pray]....really notchy...but I always liked that in my dad's 87 LX....you knew RIGHT where the shifter was......

it's a KEEPER [:)]....yeah WD, look what you furthered to happen by posting this.......good work man.

#47 ·
i don't know who t adjust my linkage or what ever i'm going to put it back on before i go to work and see if can get 5th and 6th back. also my bad the clutch graps well but the revs come higher due to the fly wheel

#49 ·
svtguy21 said:
i don't know who t adjust my linkage or what ever i'm going to put it back on before i go to work and see if can get 5th and 6th back.
Anyone have the full procedure from Ford for the Getrag?
I've seen the one for the MTX-75 (http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=49),
but I don't think it's the same for this transmission. [dunno]

OrangeSVTguy said:
leave the bracket on but just take that 5lb weight off.
So, you just cut the weight off the bracket, or did you drill out the rivet that holds it on?

#50 ·
I agree with WD40, the linkage adjustment process doesn't seem to be the same on the getrag. Maybe we can do some diggin on a Mini forum to see if any cooper S owners have it figured out, or would the linkages be different?

Hmmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.