Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to EBAY PROJECTOR HID INSTALL 56k should be banned

28K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  Boostedfoci88 
#1 ·
This is for everyone who wants to install an HID conversion kit for their ebay projector headlights. im doing this to the best of my ability and if i leave anything out please let me know. it is an easy install and should take no more than 45 mins (took me 15) because i did it 4 times. You will need to find the bulb size and color temp when buying the kit. Mine has H1 bulb size but im not sure about all of the others. You will need 3 tools for the intall(well only one you can use the others only if you want to)
Your Hands(duh)

I will be including a video also.

Electrical tape(to clean up the wires together)
Black silicone (to make a good seal for the hid's wire pass through)

Gather your materials. you should have 2 ballasts 2 bulbs 2 wiring kits and 2 ballast brackets

First take out the rubber thing covering the bulb and your factory headlight bulb there is a metal spring clip you will need to take off and should look like this when done

take the rubber thing that seals out water from getting to the bulb and wires and make a small cut in it (about 1/2 inch or bigger)

feed the wiring through the small cut (it may be like a virgin "tight" but stretch the rubber or make the cut a lil bit bigger to make the wires able to feed through, you kinda want it to be tight)

after that tuck all the wires into the back of the moisture thing so you will have room to fit the bulb and wires now is the time to match up the blue(positive) and black(ground) wires. after that plug them into the ballast to ensure everything works

here is the video link this is what you want your kit to be like http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXD3JNRlI5o

put the hid bulb back into the headlight socket and hold it into place with the clamp

put the weather sealer back onto the heaslight to ensure no water gets into it ( now is the time to bust out the silicone and seal the area where the wires came through)

now find a place to mount the ballast, do not place it near extremely hot things or moving objects, belts etc. use the screws that came with the kit

drink a few beers and wait for night time and get ready for your ebay projectors to look like this

repeat to the other side(obviously)

if you have any questions please let me know i'd be more than happy to help

-Anthony

See less See more
#56 ·
the only question i have is how is the cut-off on the light source? like when you would pull up on a garage do they just light the EFF out of everything or is there i cutoff line like HIDs are supposed to have?
like this:

#63 ·
Quisman: No. He put an HID kit into halogen reflector housings, which is known to cause bad glare for other drivers and for Johnny Law to get on your case. Projectors are whats required to "do it right", as projectors are what HIDs are made for. I don't know much about reflector based HID OEM systems, but our stock headlights defintley weren't meant for HIDS. Get the ebay or Mach porjectors and hids are good to go.

#64 ·
Cool cool, thank you...cuz I'm pretty much dumb w/ my new love for getting better headlamps. I'd like to go w/ halo projectors and HID conv kit. What temp do you all recommend ?

#65 ·
I think most people would say not to go above 6000k. The higher the temp, the "bluer" it will look. 5000K IMO looks the best and puts more usuable light out on the road than 6000K and up, but its your preference. The 5000k is more straight white than blue. Check your pms I sent you some links to some ebay projectors.

#67 ·
My ebay lights say right on them "Do not use HID bulbs" but my lights are also the exact same as the ones he used. Is the sticker just a "cover my butt just in case" thing or am I really not supposed to use them for HIDs? I would ask ford525, but I cant pm him.

#68 ·
A few clarifications;

HID bulbs in a halogen housing have the appearance of giving you better lighting because they light up the area immediately in front of and to the sides of the car. However, they do not provide any long-distance lighting, meaning you're actually able to see less that you would with a halogen bulb. This is my cheif complaint with HID retrofit kits...it causes an unsafe driving situation. While you might be able to see what's 20-50' in front of your car, it provides you with little or no illumination from 50' and beyond. Meaning that you might not see something/someone in the road until its too late to make a controlled stop/avoidance manuver. At highway speed, 50' is not an adequate distance to stop or avoid an obstacle. If you're after long-distance lighting, either stick with the halogen bulbs your headlights were designed for, or pony up and get a real set of HIDs.

Having a sharp cutoff with projectors does not automatically mean you won't end up with beam scatter. While halogen projectors minimize beam scatter, they don't entirely defeat it. A projector will provide the sharp cutoff effect regardless of the light source, but that means nothing...you're more concerned with what happens to the light that's getting out below the cutoff line, and as a halogen projector is designed for a specific halogen bulb you will still end up with beam scatter, hot spots and inadequate lighting down the road.

Overall, nobody wins when it comes to HID retrofit kits. Other drivers have to deal with glare, and the driver of the equipped vehicle puts him/herself and others at risk by not having adequate lighting.

You can read more here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

As far as color temperature is concerned...a higher degree Kelvin number does not equate to more light. In the world of automotive HIDs, 4200-4300K offers the best lumen output, but gives you slightly yellow light. As you increase your color temperature, lumen output diminishes. IMO 5000K is as high as you should go if you want your lights to be functional. It strikes a nice balance between whiteness and lumen output. At the end of the visible spectrum on the scale, 8000-12000K HIDs put out only slightly more lumens than most modern halogen bulbs.

#77 ·
You have your test pilot here if you want. Shoot me a msg w/ your ideas, cost of materials and time to completion. The only tough spot would be cost of shipping.

#79 ·
Let the fun begin....I'll be the piggy for ya'll. We will keep you posted on the whole deal. I'm about to send some headlights his way.

#80 ·
A better way is to get already projector headlights since they have the form for them, get a set of the d2s from an audi or acura (depending on depth and diameter) and then retro fit those into the projectors. That's my long term goal when all else is done with the foci. I don't see it looking to pretty in a set of stock halogen reflectors. Unless you do some major fab work with some fiberglass or something. Or, I guess you could just go with the Mad Max look which would be interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.