Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My 02 SVT: Project "That Poor Car"

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  FuriousFocus 
#1 ·
For those of you who didn't see it with the "sweet" Cobra emblems, here's the original thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277030

Anyway, the emblems are off, but that's the least of the progress. Let me start by saying that, any day when a Ford Racing box arrives is a good day. Got the stock replacement SVT strut/shock package from CFM, as well as a set of Prothane's poly dogbone inserts. I also received my order from Tousley Ford, which included driver's and passenger's side motor mounts, and stock thermostat...

Got them all installed two nights ago with the help of my brother and a friend of mine...just in time to enjoy [driving], ummm....... well, not really...

See less See more
#2 ·
I forgot to mention that my experiences with both CFM and Tousley Ford were good ones. The guys at CFM were especially helpful in that they combined shipping of my two separate orders and refunded the entire shipping cost of the smaller/lighter order. Awesome. The car rides great now, and it's amazing how much of a difference the new mounts made. The passenger side mount was completely blown out. Like a brand new car now. Woo-hoo!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's friggin' nice to actually have HEAT in the car now, lol.

#5 ·
Quick update. First of all, Merry Christmas everybody. It's been a while, and the car has over 172,000 miles on it now (!). Just replaced the upstream O2 sensor and did a tune-up, which really woke this thing up. Now I'm about to deal with the all-too-common rear tire inner tread wear issue these cars are known for. I'm going to try the adjustable cam bolts first, and hope a good alignment solves the issue, because so far, I'm getting under a year out of a set of tires, and the rear end likes to step out in anything but dry weather. That sucks.

#10 ·
Well, I need to sell the SVT. We have two kids, and a third on the way, and a van is in our future. The SVT is the "odd man out" in the driveway.

Let me begin by saying that I am going to price this thing dirt cheap on this forum, but that it's cheap for a few good reasons. Still runs and shifts great, but,...well, I'll try to get an ad in the classified section shortly, so as to not screw up the location of this thread.

It's been a fun ride. [wave]

#11 ·
Without discussing a sale, or even pricing, I'll use this thread to let everyone know (in agonizing detail) the various strengths and weaknesses of the car. I'll start with the strengths:

*Engine runs strong (new plugs and wires), but needs the IMRC fix done. Synthetic oil
*Transmission shifts well and clutch doesn't slip at all
*Originally a Georgia car until last year, so there is really no rust to speak of.
*Back seat is in good shape
*Sunroof works
*A/C works
*Installed a full set of stock SVT shocks/struts almost exactly one year ago
*recently installed cam bolts in back to correct common camber issue
*poly dogbone engine mount 1 yr ago
*stock replacement engine mounts 1 yr ago
*Brakes are good
*aftermarket speakers

#12 ·
Alright, let's see if I can remember it all:

*Miles are high (177,xxx), but it's nearly entirely highway.
*There is noticeable front end damage. The car is driveable, and the hood shuts, but the top radiator support bar (the thick one) is pushed in probably .5" toward the header. The front bumper cover is cracked from the accident. I didn't own the car when this happened, but I was told it was from a truck hitch backing into it. I've put over 10,000 miles on the car in it's current state.

*The interior is a 4 on a scale from 1-10. The SVT seats look and feel ok, but those stupid cheap plastic adjustment knobs have all fallen off (with the exception of 1, I think).
*The original audio system was stolen (also before I bought the car), so no subwoofer and the steering wheel audio controls do nothing
*The windows are fixed PERMANENTLY in the UP position. Why? Because they were smashed out by the thief and the previous owner somehow mangled the regulators and motors on both sides before giving up and stuffing RAGS between the windows and doors to keep them up. I did some rough fabricating and used brackets to hold the windows up...possibly forever, depending on how industrious the next owner is.
*Airbag light is on, as well as check engine. I replaced an O2 sensor that was causing an issue, but it also needs the IMRC fix. Engine still runs well though.
*One of the wheels has a bend in the outer lip, which doesn't alter ride, but it looks like crap.
*The tires are shot. They aren't dangerous unless it's RAINING OR SNOWING, lol.
*The windshield washers don't work, for some maddening reason. I can hear the pump running, but no spraying occurs. Nothing seems to be visibly leaking, but...whatever.
*Missing the Ford emblem in the front
* Paint on top side of rear bumper seems to be sunbaked from time in the Georgia sun
*Rearview mirror on inside of windshield broke off and needs a new bracket

I have to run out the door now, but I'm sure I got the major stuff out of the way. You may be laughing to yourself at this point, but as Samuel L. Jackson would say, "Hold on to your butts."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.