Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ask a Ford salesman anything (Incentives, Inventory, etc)

767K views 2K replies 389 participants last post by  roswelltop 
#1 · (Edited)
Let me start off by saying this is a great forum.

Secondly I am not here to solicit any business, I'm here for you guys and ladies to help out with any questions releated to the Focus.

I've done this on F-150 forums and it's very helpful for them.

Here's what I can help out on. Please read all of this before you ask a question so we aren't asking the same question 40 times!

1. Need to find a specific new vehicle and your local dealer not helping? Just give me your zip code and what you're looking for and I'll try and find one close and let you know how the invoice pricing breaksdown.

2. Incentive information. All I need is your zip code and last name and I can check if you qualify for any private offers such as brochure $750 offers or anything else. Also if you're college grad. and have other offers I'll let you know what you can combine and what you can't.

3. I cannot tell you why Ford is not giving specific options that you want or when such and such option will be available unless I see it on Ford's dealer site.

4. I unfortunately do not have a crystal ball to tell you what incentives will change to.

5. Also if you ordered a vehicle through your dealership I cannot tell you when it will be there and track it. Only your dealership or the shipping dept can do that.

Lastly I am in internet sales so I generally know what dealerships are capable of selling vehicles for, so if you are wondering if there is money being left on the table let me know.

See less See more
#1,100 ·
Hello imccrea,
I have finally decided to go an order a 2012 Red Candy Ti using my X-Plan. I generated my PIN last night and was all set to go in today, but I need to know two things:
1. Is the $1000 Cash Back ($500 FMC, and $500 Bonus Cash) available with the X-Plan in CA, 94939
2. I am positive that I can, but just checking, Can I combine the $500 Private cash with the above?
3.Can I negotiate below X-Plan & if yes, how much lower should I go? (especially, since it is year end?)
4. When should I expect to receive my focus (with the Christmas Closure and all)

#1,101 ·
Hello imccrea,
I have finally decided to go an order a 2012 Red Candy Ti using my X-Plan. I generated my PIN last night and was all set to go in today, but I need to know two things:
1. Is the $1000 Cash Back ($500 FMC, and $500 Bonus Cash) available with the X-Plan in CA, 94939Yes you can combine for $1,500
2. I am positive that I can, but just checking, Can I combine the $500 Private cash with the above? see above
3.Can I negotiate below X-Plan & if yes, how much lower should I go? (especially, since it is year end?)You can but depending on dealer fees it is moot. My Costco price is $625 below invoice but once you add dealer fees it is the same as X Plan.
4. When should I expect to receive my focus (with the Christmas Closure and all) If you ordered today I would say late January to mid February.

#1,105 ·
I went in to my dealer this week and have decided to order a new focus. He told me that I can either complete the sale now and receive the current $1,000 rebate or roll the dice and wait to see what the new rebates are after Jan. I know you don't have any inside information, but in your experience do you typically see rebates fall this late in the product cycle? Am I incorrect to feel fairly confident that at worse ford maintains status quo on the rebates? Just wanted to hear an unbiased opinion as I know my dealer would like to complete the sale now and not worry about me changing my mind. Thanks!

#1,107 ·
If you sign a buyer's order the dealer can submit it to Ford for rebate protection so you are guaranteed at least $1,000. If the Focus comes in and there is a $1,500 rebate you get that, simple as that.

Your sales guy or gal doesn't know about how Ford does rebates. The vehicle HAS to be on the ground for the dealer to claim the rebates. They need a VIN to claim rebates anyways and if you are ordering a vehicle the VIN doesn't exist yet.

Also if you complete the sale now, you're paying for a vehicle you don't have right?

#1,109 ·
Um Rebate Protection? Your Sales person is trying to get you to "finalize" before end of year for his numbers. Tell him to better then threating you about Rebates.

Fact is $1,000 Rebate on a 2012 Focus isn't that "uncommon" and changes are next month it'll be the same or more.

If they have a car that you like, tell them to make an offer on it and you'll complete the sale. If not your ordering your 2012 and will take delv of it when it comes in.

#1,112 · (Edited)
Hi imccrea,

I've progressed a bit in my search from earlier last month. A dealer has found a car for me:

Focus Sedan SEL, sterling grey.
303A package,(website says cost is $2390, but window sticker shows $2755.) Winter package, moonroof & Nav.

MSRP is $25 545, but total before discounts shows $25 910. I was just wondering what the invoice price and possibly an agreement where both the dealer and I would be content It will be shipped from another dealer.

Thanks for all your help, you do a tremendous service here.

#1,117 ·
2012 SE Hatch pricing?

Hi,
I just purchased a 2012 sonic blue SE Hatch with sport pack, manual transmission, and 203A convenience package. Totally in love with it, but interested in knowing how good a deal I got. What would be a dealer's bottom line on this car?

#1,118 ·
Hi,
I just purchased a 2012 sonic blue SE Hatch with sport pack, manual transmission, and 203A convenience package. Totally in love with it, but interested in knowing how good a deal I got. What would be a dealer's bottom line on this car?
Invoice is $19,813
Rebates are up to $1,500

Our dealership would sell it for $17,413 plus a $649 doc fee so you're at $18,062 plus tax with all rebates.

#1,121 ·
I'm looking at incentives and such on a Focus; also have X-plan and one of those $500 "private cash" coupons that come with the brochure.. I see there's a $500 retail customer cash + $500 ford credit retail customer cash incentive..

Any way to use all those things together? How about if I ordered the car?

I see the fine print states "must take delivery from dealer stock" by Jan 3rd.. obviously if I order a car will not be in by then. Is there any way to get all those items combined still? Or if not do you figure something similar or better will pop up right when that expires?

Thinking 2012 Focus SE w/ a manual, sport package, the 17 inch wheels, and cruise control.. still debating leather.. due to the manual transmission just not seeing anything even close on dealer lots.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

#1,122 ·
What's the Ford Secret Handshake?

Other thing I just thought about was I've actually had a hard time shopping for Fords.. not sure if it's a Ford versus GM customer service thing or just bad luck but not giving up on Ford just seems more difficult to navigate a Ford purchase..

On this vehicle (not the first new one), after some research, went online an built two GM and one Ford vehicle, entered my contact info (real #, name, everything) and requested some quotes via the Ford & Chevy websites..

Next business day had two quotes (for below dealer invoice) on the Chevy's.. Got an automated email from a Ford dealer stating they'd get back to me soon...

Called the Chevy Salesguy who sent the quote and shot the shit, said I'd stop by for test drives when I had the chance.

A day later or so got a call from Ford customer service asking how my experience was.. I said it was poor, dealer X no response. They wanted me to arrange an appointment. I said OK but I want to know if they have X vehicle on the lot (namely a Focus with a manual), said they would check.. Next day another call from Ford, trying to confirm my appointment, again requested they confirm the vehicle I wanted as on the lot and to have a salesperson contact me.. nothing back to that effect. Got an email from the dealer about some vans that just came in...

Next day off went to the Chevy dealer, met the salesguy, and took vehicles for test drives.. He gave me a quote on paper.. Went to Ford dealer X, was greeted by a salesperson who walked me around the lot, couldn't find a manual, didn't offer to take one of the 2012 auto's out for a test drive or even unlock them, then attempted to sell me a Subaru WRX trade-in.. Gave him my contact details, no word since..

Went online and found a Ford dealer w/ a manual Focus, showed up, again greeted, let him know I was interested in a Focus manual, he showed me one.. I said "well I'd like to take it for a test drive".. he said "well do you just want to drive it?" (WTF?? its not a Ferrari) I said "well not even going to consider buying one until I test drive it".. he says "oh ok we can go for a short test drive but I will need your license".. 5 minutes later he comes out and we go for a about a 2 mile test drive.. I said I really liked the car..

I explained what options I was interested in (above the S model we took), he mentioned we could order one if something couldn't be located... I said "well I'm interested in seeing what the numbers look like in reality".. He said they were too short handed and couldn't do it at that time, took my contact information and notes of what I was looking for, then never got back to me...

If I arrived in a 1985 s-10 blazer wearing a "I wish I was black" shirt wreaking of booze I could understand, but I showed up in a fairly modern '06 (sure, a GM truck) fairly respectable looking vehicle, looking/acting fairly respectable etc.. no millionaire but I make 100K+, could have bought anything on the lot that day..

Every other time I've showed up at a dealership their goals seem to be Step 1 test drive, Step 2 provide "deal", Step 3 attempt to close.. Provide contact # and they are going to call back.. nothing out of these guys.

Anyway, is there some Ford secret handshake I need to know about or do these two dealers (and the online system) just suck?

Thanks,

Jon

#1,123 ·
Other thing I just thought about was I've actually had a hard time shopping for Fords.. not sure if it's a Ford versus GM customer service thing or just bad luck but not giving up on Ford just seems more difficult to navigate a Ford purchase..

On this vehicle (not the first new one), after some research, went online an built two GM and one Ford vehicle, entered my contact info (real #, name, everything) and requested some quotes via the Ford & Chevy websites..

Next business day had two quotes (for below dealer invoice) on the Chevy's.. Got an automated email from a Ford dealer stating they'd get back to me soon...

Called the Chevy Salesguy who sent the quote and shot the shit, said I'd stop by for test drives when I had the chance.

A day later or so got a call from Ford customer service asking how my experience was.. I said it was poor, dealer X no response. They wanted me to arrange an appointment. I said OK but I want to know if they have X vehicle on the lot (namely a Focus with a manual), said they would check.. Next day another call from Ford, trying to confirm my appointment, again requested they confirm the vehicle I wanted as on the lot and to have a salesperson contact me.. nothing back to that effect. Got an email from the dealer about some vans that just came in...

Next day off went to the Chevy dealer, met the salesguy, and took vehicles for test drives.. He gave me a quote on paper.. Went to Ford dealer X, was greeted by a salesperson who walked me around the lot, couldn't find a manual, didn't offer to take one of the 2012 auto's out for a test drive or even unlock them, then attempted to sell me a Subaru WRX trade-in.. Gave him my contact details, no word since..

Went online and found a Ford dealer w/ a manual Focus, showed up, again greeted, let him know I was interested in a Focus manual, he showed me one.. I said "well I'd like to take it for a test drive".. he said "well do you just want to drive it?" (WTF?? its not a Ferrari) I said "well not even going to consider buying one until I test drive it".. he says "oh ok we can go for a short test drive but I will need your license".. 5 minutes later he comes out and we go for a about a 2 mile test drive.. I said I really liked the car..

I explained what options I was interested in (above the S model we took), he mentioned we could order one if something couldn't be located... I said "well I'm interested in seeing what the numbers look like in reality".. He said they were too short handed and couldn't do it at that time, took my contact information and notes of what I was looking for, then never got back to me...

If I arrived in a 1985 s-10 blazer wearing a "I wish I was black" shirt wreaking of booze I could understand, but I showed up in a fairly modern '06 (sure, a GM truck) fairly respectable looking vehicle, looking/acting fairly respectable etc.. no millionaire but I make 100K+, could have bought anything on the lot that day..

Every other time I've showed up at a dealership their goals seem to be Step 1 test drive, Step 2 provide "deal", Step 3 attempt to close.. Provide contact # and they are going to call back.. nothing out of these guys.

Anyway, is there some Ford secret handshake I need to know about or do these two dealers (and the online system) just suck?

Thanks,

Jon
Sounds to me like smaller dealers, I actually get half a unit count if you order a vehicle so I'm more than happy to order vehicles when they are tough to find. Seems like you just received a crappy dealer a few times. We are in a today business as the car you order we don't get paid on until 60-100 days from now so it's tough to get motivated sometimes.

Did you mention you are X-Plan, sometimes that motivates the dealership because pricing is simple. Also regarding what you are looking for, sedan or hatch? We have tons of these here in my region that's unfortunate you don't have any there. Can always take a roadtrip!

#1,126 ·
I found Edmunds to be somewhat helpful in searching. You can search up to 500 miles away, by trim level, colors, and features (including transmission type). I say "somewhat" helpful because not all dealer inventory shows up, and I noticed that some Yellow Blaze cars in the search were actually White Platinum instead. Your results may vary....

#1,131 ·
Can you please tell me any information about incentives on a new 2011 Focus. We bought a new 2012 Fusion several months ago and I also asked the salesman about the 2011 Focus for my wife. He told me that because the 2012 Focus was selling so well that no one wanted a new 2011 model so they trans them to other dealers. There are several new 2011 Focus with in a 100 or so mile radius of me and I was just wondering what Ford was offering to the dealers to get rid of them. I love the way a 2011 Focus SE S looks. Thanks!

#1,134 ·
I need a key cut to lock and unlock the drivers door while the car is running. Is it possible to get a key made that don't start the car but it will lock and unlock the door? The reason I like to go start the car clean it off and let it sit and warm up in the winter so my wife can go to work in a ready to go car. I did this last year and the car got stolen when I had my back turned so now I have to sit in it while I wait for it to warm up, which I don't want to do.

I've seen blank keys on ebay that come ready to be programed. Can they just cut those to lock and unlock the doors with out programming it?

#1,137 ·
Dealers get penalized if you pay off before a 3 month period, states vary for early payoff penalty. Check your local regulations.

If you don't care about your dealer then do what you want but we get charged back the $500 that you get.

#1,140 ·
imccrea
Is this the best place to ask....when can I walk into my local ford dealer and order the new Focus ST?

thanks
(new member, have ordered Ti 5-dr, waiting for delivery)

#1,143 ·
Hey there! I'd like to ask:

Is there a Titanium 2012 base (no extra options) anywhere in PA?

Not interested in frosted glass, yellow, red.

If you can I'd also like to know invoice price! Trying to do some research.Nthank you!
sedan or hatch?

#1,148 ·
imccrea
You did say any question.....my local small town South Dakota dealership has ordered a loaded Titanium hatch for me, to be delivered around the end of January 2012. They have my (not insignificant) deposit check, as yet uncashed. We hit the "order" button on December 19 or so. I assume they cash the check when the vehicle hits the ground.

Now comes the question. I want to change colors, nothing else. The dealer says this is impossible. I don't mind waiting another bunch of weeks for the car, or a different car, or the same car, just a different color. Am I courting bad vibes by thinking to myself "hey, I've signed nothing yet, we're all friends, work with me here?" Is the dealer stuck with this car if I change my mind?

I feel I got a good price, we just bought a 2011 SRX Cadillac from the same salesperson.

More than one question, apologies. Love this site, looking forward to a Focus.
Thanks in advance
Bruce

#1,149 ·
The reason they are saying it's impossible is that if they are a super small dealership it's perhaps the only Focus they are getting all month and it is a difficult vehicle to sell if it's loaded up or a different color that not everyone likes.

Larger dealerships will let you change colors but it'll be another 5 weeks before it arrives, hard to say what they want to do.

#1,150 ·
help finding the car I want

Could you please help me find the car I want and let me know the invoice prices? I appreciate any help you can give.
I am in Birmingham, AL 35244
I want the following
Hatchback Titanium
401A
Winter Package
Parking tech package
Handling/Sport Package
Nav
I'd rather not pay for a moonroof, but I'm guessing I'll have too...
Prefer black interior and either Gray or Silver Exterior (definitely do not want to pay extra for paint)

#1,152 ·
Could you please help me find the car I want and let me know the invoice prices? I appreciate any help you can give.
I am in Birmingham, AL 35244
I want the following
Hatchback Titanium
401A
Winter Package
Parking tech package
Handling/Sport Package
Nav
I'd rather not pay for a moonroof, but I'm guessing I'll have too...
Prefer black interior and either Gray or Silver Exterior (definitely do not want to pay extra for paint)
Name Stivers Ford Lincoln
Address 4000 Eastern Bypass
City Montgomery
State AL
Postal Code 36116
Phone (334) 613-5000

Has the only one in your state, sterling gray with roof invoice is $26,303

#1,151 ·
Ready to Buy

Hi,
I am currently looking at a Focus SE Sedan, A/T, and Winter Pkg. I see with the rebate my sticker comes to $18,445 plus $795 Dest. I am going to try to get the $18,445 down to about $16,500. Do you think this is doable. There is no trade in no financing. I live in the New Haven, CT area.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

#1,153 ·
Hi,
I am currently looking at a Focus SE Sedan, A/T, and Winter Pkg. I see with the rebate my sticker comes to $18,445 plus $795 Dest. I am going to try to get the $18,445 down to about $16,500. Do you think this is doable. There is no trade in no financing. I live in the New Haven, CT area.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
If you have $1,000 rebates I think you are offering too low. You're basically $1,500 under invoice which most dealers in their right mind would say no. If you came up $1,000 you could have a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.