Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus is not a 1/4 mile car ...

18K views 106 replies 52 participants last post by  SMITHBOY76908 
#1 ·
Just take it to a nice road course and you'll more than hold your own with just about anything stock that comes in under 25 grand --- At least in the SVT you will. Drag racing isn't even racing to me ... it requires very little skill compared to other forms of racing. I admit, it is fun to watch and fun to do but it is not real racing.

#61 ·
...and what possessed you to revive this thread from the dead???

Oh, and a 1.3 60ft in a Focus will never happen. Not in it's stock frame and subframe and FWD anyway.

Also, for anyone who thinks a Focus isn't a drag car, just look at my sig.

#67 ·
I run consistent 12.9-13.0 with 230whp/215wtq. My car weighs less than 2600lbs. Sure, it's not the best choice for a drag car. Neither is a Civic but plenty of them have seen sub 10 second passes. Neither is a farm truck but I've seen one run 9s.

I have a fox body and a Focus and even with the work I have in the stang, the Focus will walk it every time.

#71 ·
No, its true. I dont know if hes weighed it but it has to be a few hundred pounds lighter than stock. He was also on some big ass MT drags for those high 12 and low 13 passes too. He has video of it on FJ. Pretty sweet car.

#73 ·
Again. Not the best for drag racing.
With full suspension, advanced timing, gear and exhaust a fox runs mid to high 12s all day. With a cam you should run mid 12s easy.

And the 4.6 2v sucks on motor. Unless you are running the trick flow heads, boost is the only way to go on them.

#75 ·
then again a mustangs not really that great in the twisties is it.
How about I throw a loop into your plans... something that requires speed and driving skills, something that would leave the mustang like a fish out of water flopping on the beach...
Yes folks, slalom drags...[headbang]

#78 ·
this old thread... as said before a car is what you make it to be, every car has a different starting point if it be a 17 second honda or a 16 second focus 14 second mustang or 13 second camaro, drivetrain layout, to stock suspension setup, if everyone used the same "drag car" what fun would that be? does that mean a camaro is not a drag car either seeing how it does not have the best stock style suspension? vs a 4 link setup like a mustang? so would you continue to argue until you see nothing but foxbody mustangs at the drag strip?

#80 ·
That is the most ridiculous drag race I have ever seen. I feel like you should keep road racing for the road track, and straight line drags on a dragstrip.

The infamous "whistle tips" video has a slalom drag. If you don't feel like having a laugh, the race starts at 1:48 in the video.

#81 ·
i read the first page of this thread and thought its pretty funny. I agree that the focus is not designed to be dragged, and making it a "good" drag car is going to defeat the purpose. i do not agree with the statement that it takes no skill. it does, just very little. like Nascar or drifting. If you ask any legitimate racer (i was talking to a driver for team Falken on Americam Le Mans. they think drag, drift and Nascar, are JOKES.

Cool your car can go fast in a straight line, but my sneeze (or fart if you like) is faster.

#82 ·
I agree, I ran my first drag a month ago and was like, this is it? ...maybe cause i drag from 80% of green lights, and i was barely under 17 second 1/4 mile time. you see real skill at places like nurburgring, watch the zr1 take those turns and you'll be impressed with the skill it takes.

matt
Posted via FF Mobile

#83 ·
most of you dont like dragracing cause you guys make bo-bo numbers lol, when you actually make power its fun and is hard to get everything right. settting the launch hitting the gears etc, i agree not as challenging as a road coarse to a certain extent.

#84 ·
I agree. When my Focus ran mid 16s in stock form, I didn't want to race it cause I felt slow. When I ran mid 13s on street tires, I wanted to get slicks so I could really see its potential. Now that I've broken 12s, I want more power so I can see the slicks' potential. lol It's gets addictive and more you accomplish, the further you get, the milestones you pass, the more addictive it gets.

#86 ·
Exactly im sure it would be boring a hell to run a 16sec run lol, and plus the car is stock so it takes almost no skill to drive it. add some power to the equation and how to get it to the ground without spinning or bogging is tricky.

#87 ·
Exactly im sure it would be boring a hell to run a 16sec run lol, and plus the car is stock so it takes almost no skill to drive it. add some power to the equation and how to get it to the ground without spinning or bogging is tricky.
It's called slicks with a high two step and pray you don't snap an axle. [thumb] [giddy]

but yes, you make a good point. lol

#89 ·
^^^ hahah yea i do spin my slicks still too. but i am playing the "lets see when your axle will snap game" lol :)

#96 ·
It willbe interesting to see what you can fit under there.

lol I couldn't resist!!! [giddy] (that's also what she said! [:p])

I think with fender flares and the right wheel offset, you could make a 10.5" tire fit. I'm gonna try! lol

ive gone the oppisite way. im currently running a 22.4" tire and if or when i get a set of slicks im deffinitly going with the 22x8 lol but im a nitrous car not boost lol

and deffinitly greater chances of axle issues with a larger slick. gearing will suck too may need more power to pull yourself out or slip that clutch a good bit. but i deffinitly want to see pictures once you get that setup. i was gonna be doing the same thing again if or when i go with slicks.
I'll be keeping my 24.5x8 slicks for now until I drop a built 2.3L in. That's when I'll be shooting for 320-330whp and gunning for that 11.50 index. It will have the power to pull a 26" tire on the top end and will hopefully gear it so that I finish high in 4th gear and never have to go to 5th. I'm finishing about halfway through 4th right now on the 24.5" tires.

#97 ·
i remember seeing somewhere pictures of your interior which does not consist of much. have you weighted your car by chance? last time at the track i weighted mine, scale read 2360 without me all i have done was taken everything out from driver seats back no cutting anything still have ac/heat ps/pl/pw airbags. whenever i finish my mustang ill probably start some more weight reduction on my car just for racing purpose lol...

#98 ·
Damn you guys i need to gut my shit and take out AC and power steering and all the unnecasary stuff. ill do that when the new focus comes out so i can have a DD. and ya i deff need a wider slick but the 8s will get me a 1.7 consistant and with me making 4X what the tranny is suppose to hold im pretty sketchy about launching any harder

#99 ·
I haven't weighed the car but if I had to guess, around 2250 without me in it. I have no A/C, interior is gutted, no headliner, no noise dampening, no carpeting, no paneling, no speakers or radio (when racing), the works. I have that thing as light as can be without getting into the chassis. Next I will be replacing those heavy ass bumper supports with a single 5lb aluminum bar on front and back. That should knock a good 40-50lbs off on it's own. Those crash supports are really f'ing heavy. I'm going tubular on the control arms so saving a couple pounds there while making it stronger. Once I make it track only, that heavy gas tank won't be needed so I will be dropping it and replacing it with a single 5 gallon tank in the spare tire well. I will be removing the heater core and all ducting in the dash. If the car doesn't need it to go through the 1/4 mile, it's coming out. I will replace the radio space with a custom made gauge panel. The A members will be removed and replaced with the runners for the 10 point cage. I will remove the entire power steering system and put a bolt in the steering rack. I don't need power steering to go straight ahead and that will save me a good bit of spun weight and less stuff to go wrong. I'd hate to have to end a race event cause I got PS fluid on the track from a blown hose. The radiator will be replaced with a small single core and manually switched fan. I will cut a good portion of the roof completely out and replace it with plexi-glass. All windows will be replaced with plexi-glass. The hood will be painted carbon fiber with the vent to ram the air into the turbo. Plus a good bit of other stuff. This will be after I drop the built 2.3L in next winter. I'm having my turbo manifold custom built cause I want the turbo (going with a GT3582R) to sit where the battery on the 05-07 sits currently (relocating battery to the rear). I could then cut the hood right above the driver side headlight and do some modifying to force the air right into the turbo. Nothing like looking at a car from the front and having a big turbo stare back at you. My goals with a built 2.3L is 640-660whp on C16 and 30psi from a GT3582R and 830-850whp on C16 with 30psi + a 200 shot. Driveshaft shop forged axles, built transmission, solid motor mounts, the works. Chris Miller will have some competition.

#106 ·
FYI the front crash bar is approx. 17.2lbs and the rear 16.8. They don't even weigh 40lbs so you cant shed 40-50 with an aluminum crash bar.

Also, Chris Miller is making 1200+WHP.

I'd love to see a focus beat Chris Miller, but you are going to need more than a GT3582R to make that kind of power. Even if you got your car sub 2000lbs you would not be able to run against him in the class he runs because outlaw FWD min weight is 2500lbs.

If you are wondering what Focus parts weigh, check this out.

#105 ·
I hate throwing numbers out there cause that usually leads to disappointment. What I'm hoping for is high-mid 9s on boost and high 8s on boost + juice. It will take a hell of alot of money and work to get it there but it can happen. My goal is to be competitive in the Import vs Domestic Wild Street class (typically an 8.50 - 9.50 field).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.