Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus RS Build.....For the Occasional Track Day!

470K views 811 replies 179 participants last post by  04ZTSJelf 
#1 ·
Since I am finally tearing my car down after collecting RS bits since early 2009 I decided I would start the build Thread.

I will be going from here:

To Here:

See less See more
Reactions: miragesmack
#102 ·
no idea.

Small Update, just ordered my cage from autopower (eta 5 weeks)

Rear Hoop:

And the front uweld (I will only be using the roof to a-pillar bars and then the roof crossing bar as I would like to be able to get in and out easily on the street and it's not mandatory for solo or track days)

In the next week or two I will be ordering my suspension parts from dominic and strut bars from massive. (front suspension arms and rear camber and toe) [headbang]

#105 ·
I need to order a new rear subframe from them so I will probably ask when I call. The only thing they might have is the winglets that connect the bumper to the fenders.

#107 ·
sorry I may have called it the wrong thing....... I was talking about the last picture, that item covered in carbon fibre. the things that look like this:

#108 ·
May be too late but this is what the Euro front mounts look like

I know, a few pics back I have a picture of the new plates which will be welded on and made to look like the euro plates, the plates in this pic are already gone.

#110 ·
A majority of the RS stuff is already being discontiued which is why it is so hard to finish these builds. Thanks for the comments!

Next on the list:

Fitting and welding front and rear bumpers
Welding Strut tower Braces
Welding engine mount brace
Creating roller stands which will be mounted to front and rear bumper locations so the shell can be moved outside for sand blasting.

#112 ·
Autopower Roll Cage just arrived [burnout] I had them custom make it so that is has everything but the door bars which I could always add later.

Holes are drilled in my new bumper plates so I needed to mock up everything again last night so I can position them, cut out the centers, and then tack weld them in.

Bumper seems to be pulling a bit forward yet and I want to make sure everything fits correctly so this might take a day or two for fitment but I would like to have the bumper at least tack welded by the end of the weekend or monday at the latest.

#113 ·
thielt1,

The pushing forward could be the length of the frame rails. While trying to use the front plates of the USA rail, the crash bar is possibly to far forward, that is if its under that bumper. If the c/b is in place with the slam-panel to hold the lights and bumper in place. Measure the forward push, being lets say 2-3mm and move the mounts for crash bar rearwards to allow the bumper rearward movement, there's tolerance in the slam-panel bumper holders to allow the move rearward.

Regards,
NZ

#114 ·
Thanks[thumb]
I will try that, I really didn't spend to much time on it yet and hopefully I will have a few hours with it tonight. I'm not using the front plates from the USA rail anymore as I had some new ones made, I will be sure to take some pics of them but they look a lot like yours.

#116 ·
Wow. First I've seen this thread. Crazy stuff. You, my friend, have some excess money and time, but with what it's leading to, I don't think anyone here is complaining! Awesome work. I'll be joining the subscriber club on this.

#117 ·
i wish i could have a true replica like this its gonna be an amazing car. ill just have to settle with a rs collection bumper i dont have the money or patience for something like this but cant wait to see it come together

#121 ·
so far all i got is the front bumper id like to find some other RS collection pieces i got a sedan anyway so it would never be a true replica but i can make a rs sedan[grinking]

#126 ·
Finally started welding the front bumper plates on! Took a bit to get the alignment just perfect and I have been busy with work and buying more parts for this car. Update on that soon.

Pic from the front:

Close up:

Still some more welding yet and then I will grind them down to get the finish right.

Also rotisserie just arrived from NZWINRZ so my progress should take a leap forward now![wiggle]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.