Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Turbo Rebuild?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  focusontheD 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a Turbonetics t3 Super 60 ball bearing turbo. I took my turbo setup off my car to get the manifold and down pipe ceramic coated. It was not easy to wrestle out of my car, so I thought that while it was off I would get my turbo rebuilt. It has 20,000 miles on it. I called turbonetics first, but they wanted $100 just to look at the thing. Then a basic rebuild would be at least another $299 on top of that. This doesn't include shipping. Then i looked around locally, a diesel shop took it said they would rebuild it, but called me this morning to say they dont work on ball bearing turbos So.... i'm looking for better (cheaper) rebuild solutions or your thoughts on whether a rebuild is even worth it.
Thanks,
Trevor

#2 ·
those prices from turbonetics aren't that bad.

#7 ·
We did feel the play oursleves, and there is also some oil in the downpipe, it appears.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

#11 ·
I'm not sure about Turbonetics, but you can't rebuild Garrett ball bearing turbos. You replace the entire CHRA. Ball bearing turbos are made to last forever unless you get contaminates in the oil, starve them of oil, etc.

#12 ·
Thanks to everybody who's weighed in on this topic. I ended up sending it in to turbonetics.
I was really surprised by how turbonetics treats their customers. They were not very nice. Anyone had similar experience? I know I'm a small customer, but geez they made it sound like I was burdening them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.