Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What neat tricks and tips have you've found since owning?

727K views 1K replies 388 participants last post by  antbarlow76 
#1 ·
Just wondering what features, tips and tricks people have found since owning?

For me I found the hidden menu to be neat. Holding trip/reset down while starting car shows the menu. Holding again for 5 seconds returns you to normal operation.

Salesman didn't know that the SE has a line in for mp3 players. Inside glovebox on top.

#596 ·
In the back door cubbies (the actual doors themselves) there is a little 'hook' in the pocket that makes the front section of the cubbie a cup holder. I guess this is for those that don't have the fold down cup holder in the back seats.

so that makes a total of 4 cup holders and 6 cubbie pockets in the back seat of my Titanium, and only two cup holders and no real 'immediate access' storage in the front. ha!

#598 ·
My '12 Titanium hatch does have the cupholders in the fold-down armrest. My daughter is always joking about how she likes that my car is obviously designed with the realization that the truly important people sit in the back seat, just like with a chauffeur driving royaly around in a limousine...

#603 ·
^ That was answered many pages ago. I believe the answer was that only the Titanium trim level has the fold down cup holders.

#612 ·
OK, first of all saying "I am hot" to your car seems kind of arrogant. Second, well, honestly I've got nothing after that (maybe "my MFT" is redundant as you ask for directions to the "ATM machine" where you will have to put in your "PIN number"). Just kidding man.

I gave it a go on my way home from work since you mentioned it and here is what I found:

"I am cold" - dropped it 1(F) degree.

Repeated the above and it dropped it one more degree.

"I am hot" - sync lady didn't understand

Repeated the above with the same result.

"I am warm" - raised it 1(F) degree.

Repeated the above and it raised it one more degree.

When I said I was cold it lowered the temp, when I said I was warm it raised the temp. "Warm" and "cold" seem to be all it heard (and apparently "hot" was just ignored).

Honestly I usually just turn the knob (or throw a temp # at it in rare cases which seems to work) since that is faster but since you mentioned it I just thought I'd try it out.

#608 ·
Not sure if anyone has posted this. I found the parking assist not only parks the car on the right side of street, it also does it on the left side. A lot of online reviewers and my saleman said it only does it on the right. But I tried and it worked on both sides. The only thing I need to do is to turn on the left turn signal when searching for spaces if I want to park on the left. Otherwise it defaults to park on the right.

#609 ·
Makes sense, prob designed to be universal with UK or Aussie Foci

#615 ·
Many pages ago, someone said something about storing loads of stuff(flashlight, tools, etc) underneath the panel in their trunk. It's dark right now so I can't go verify this until morning. Is there really space underneath the trunk liner to store crap? Do you have to mangle the Styrofoam to accomplish this?

#616 ·
Under the trunk liner, you'll see several nice little "cubbies" molded into the styrofoam. One of them holds your Sony amp, several await your stuff.

#619 · (Edited)
Here are all of the tips posted as of 3/9/2012:

• Service/Test menu on driver's display: Holding trip/reset down while starting car shows the menu.
    Holding again for 5 seconds returns you to normal operation.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBQm1JVAVMY&feature=player_embedded
  • On SE models there is a line-in for MP3 players inside the glove box.
  • You can shift the DCT from Select Shift mode into Drive mode any time by simply pushing the shifter into Drive.
  • There is a key inside the IA remote.
  • On all trims above SE: All windows, when controlled from the driver’s side, have one-touch up and down functionality.
    SE trim only has driver’s window one-touch.
  • If the windshield wipers are on, the rear wiper will make one pass when the car is put into reverse.
  • Sync recognizes "I am warm" and "I am cold" when paired with the "climate control" command.
    http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4036623&postcount=612
  • Sync recognizes "I am hungry", and displays a list of restaurants on the screen.
  • The radio will remain on when you remove the key until you open a door.
  • There is an eco-mode on the drivers display that will reward you for driving economically. This mainly applies to standard transmission owners, but a limited version is available to DCT owners.
    When you're in the average MPG mode, hit the right arrow. If you get five leaves in all three (shifting, anticipation, and speed) you get a trophy!
  • If you have leather seats, and DO NOT have 18" wheels, the rear seats will fold flat. Just lift the lower cushion up and fold the seat back down.
  • If you have leather seats, there is a center armrest with cup holders for the passengers.
  • You can cancel warning notifications on the drivers display (like "door open") by pressing the OK button on the left 5-way control.
  • Automatic climate control's "Defroster Max" button. One touch access to all your favorite defrosting methods (i.e. front / rear defrosters, heated mirrors, maximum heat, maximum fan).
  • 2x press on the rear hatchback button on the key fob opens the rear hatch.
  • There are grab handles on the inside of the rear hatch to assist in closing the hatch. No need to touch the outside of the hatch to close it.
  • Key fobs can be programmed to unlock all of the doors:
    Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the IE key fob for over four seconds.
  • If you leave your key inside the trunk, the trunk will pop open within a couple of seconds. It will not stay closed until you retrieve your key.
  • If you switch off your engine, you still have a few seconds to close the sunroof.
  • If you're talking on the phone and you enter the car, the callers voice will be transferred to the car's audio system. If you leave the car, the caller's voice will return to the headset.
  • The speed you set your cruise control is displayed on the driver's information screen. Canceling the cruise control will display the speed with a line through it.
  • Driving until you are almost out of fuel will result in nearby gas stations being displayed on the center screen.
  • There are warnings displayed if your hood or hatch is open.
  • There are some small storage areas under the mat that covers your spare tire.
  • Parking assist will park on the left if you turn on the left turn signal.
  • If you store a "home" location through Sync (not Nav) and say "Traffic to Home", it gives you the traffic along route even if you don't have Nav, and if you do, it's faster than setting a destination to home and having it scan for traffic.
  • There's a "shelf" in the glovebox for your owner manual package.
  • You may not hear audio from your system until everyone has their seatbelts on.
  • A short, light push on the turn signal will result in three turn signal flashes. No need to hold it down.
  • The windshield wipers will do a final "courtesy" wipe after using the windshield sprayer.
  • If you don't have active park assist, the infill panel used in place of those buttons is a great place to store frequently used cards (IDs, gate cards, etc.)
    http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3972393&postcount=521
  • The navigation system only gives the options of speaking directions, or tones/chimes only, but if you toggle the "mute" icon, it will be silent for good; unless some day you untoggle it.
  • There is a fuse puller on the underside of the fuse box cover.
  • You may be able to control your bluetooth connected media player with the steering wheel controls. (Next track, pause/play)
  • iOS 5 will display track info on the SYNC screen over bluetooth.
  • If you attempt to lock the doors while a door is ajar, the horn will sound twice.
  • If you use the auto headlight feature, but don't want your lights to stay on when you shut the car off (for whatever reason you may have), just turn the engine off then flip the key back to acc then back off real quick.
  • You can "roll" up the windows without the key in the ignition (there my be a time limit on this).
  • You can just twist the key to the start position and let go, the car cranks itself as much as it needs to start.
  • Push the windshield wiper stalk AWAY from you to spray the rear window.
  • There are rubber liners at the bottom of the cup holders and center arm rest. They can be removed for easy cleaning.
  • The sun visors have a strap on the lower center side corner of the visor. It is on the mirror side and can be used to hold a pass card or other small documents.
  • Watching movies on MFT screen is possible, as long as the car is in P (park) mode.
  • You can have multiple bluetooth connections going at the same time.
  • If you don't want the white interior lights to come on when you open the door:
    Open the door, and then hold the front-most map light button over the driver's head for about 5 seconds. The lights will blink for a quick instant, then not come on unless you turn them on. Repeat the process to turn the white lights back on.
  • With push-button start, if you push the start button without putting your foot on the brake, it goes into accessory mode.
  • With the car off, pressing the radio (system) power button will turn the radio on for a limited amount of time.
  • If you want to crank the engine without starting it, hold the accel pedal to the floor before turning the key to the start position (or pressing the start button).
  • You can use your foglights without your headlights by turning the headlight control dial to the running lights position.
  • Park your car with the steering wheel turned about a quarter of the way around. This will make it much easier to see the ignition key hole when you go to insert the key.
  • If the car is off, the headlamps can be activated manually by pulling the high beam/flash-to-pass lever toward you. The headlamps are deactivated after 30 seconds, or three minutes if any door is open.
  • How to list all MFT voice commands by voice, or touch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KO1z8uhsMI
  • MFT can be set up to read you the name of the person who is calling.
  • Speed up the SYNC system by removing the superfluous voice prompts:
    SYNC... (if you're not in the SYNC menu yet)
    Voice Settings...
    Interaction Mode Advanced
    (Note: This can also be set in the System menu)
  • The driver's information screen will display simple navigation hints and displays what side of the road your destination is on.
  • You can connect your Focus to other WiFi sources, like your home WiFi.
  • While using the "where am I" feature of the nav system the "current road" information gives you a constantly changing approximate street number.
  • If you press the max defroster button, you can return to your old setting by pressing it again, instead of manually dialing down the temperature.
  • Manual transmission owners: we all know about the up shift light. If you're in too high of a gear for your speed and you try to accelerate there's actually a down shift light.
  • With the automatic climate control the buttons directing airflow are independent of one another, rather than canceling each other out.
  • One-touch windows not working?
    -Hold button down until window is all the way down and keep holding the button down for 3 seconds then immediately continue with next step
    -Hold button up until window is closed and continue holding button up for 3 seconds
    - Problem should be solved.

#626 ·
I learned the other day that in the SE 4 speaker stereo there is other setting beyond what the "sound' button gives you. If you hit "menu" and go the audio setting there is a whole large menu of things to do. Most beneficial for me where the occupancy setting, all occupants works much better for me, driver only makes the sound over boosted. I also messed with the preset EQ settings, those create a much better balance then what I could achieve with "sound menu" EQ. I found all this my accident when I was messing with menus the other day, but there is a break down of all the menus in the owner's manual.

#627 ·
I thought this was an interesting find on the 'Ambient lighting'.
When you open either the driver or passenger front doors the leds in the handles and cup holders turn from the current color setting you have set to red. Maybe a warning sign to others that the door is being opened? I couldn't find anything in the owners manual mentioning the color change.

Here's a video I did (click on Image). Sorry for the quality, but you get the idea.

[ffrocks]

#629 ·
Rain sensing wiper equipped cars: The frequency of the auto rain sensing wipers is controlable by the increments on the wiper stalk, just like your old car, but auto, with a little manual adjustment thrown in for your tastes.

#630 ·
Found out today, even though the Salesman and the Delivery person said I didn't get cloth mats I did.

They said the winter package, w/ rubber mats eliminated the cloth mats. Today I found out the cloth mats are underneath my rubber mats!

Only took me 4 days to notice, lol

#642 ·
I park in a garage, so my lights come on every time I start my car. When I start it up I press the fog light button. I've found that even when the lights go off and come back on later it remembers that the fogs were on and will turn them on automatically. It's become a habit that I turn them on every time now, I don't even realize I do it anymore.

#644 ·
I have the same model as you. Do you have your lights set to automatic? Set that way, fogs will only turn on when the fog button is pressed (and only if it's dark enough outside). The next time my car is started, it defaults back to DRLs / regular head lamps.. Not sure if the sensor can sense weather appropriate for fog lights, as I've never had them turn on automatically in auto mode.

#646 ·
Wait, I can set mine to auto and my fogs will not come on automatically. I have to push the fog light button. Let say for example I drive to the store at night. my Headlight switch is in the auto position. I start the car and must press the fog light button to get those on. When I arrive at the store I turn off the car and enter the store. The headlights after 20 secs will turn off. When I get back in the car to return home and start up the fog lights are back OFF again.

Your saying your fogs will be on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.