Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 HID Thread (Info Only No Arguing)

164K views 560 replies 116 participants last post by  devanmc 
#1 · (Edited)
Items you need for the install on your 2012 (If you purchase cancellors or anything else YOU THINK might work your going to waste your time and everyone elses asking why their not lit so follow my instructions)

Resistors http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html

Relay Harnesshttp://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_relay_wiring_harness-pid582.html

An H11 35w or greater HID Kit (Same for Foglamps but they dont require anything but the HID kit since they are not monitored by the computer)

Heres some pictures of them Installed going down the road.
While Driving

Behind a Car

Side of Car

Notice this FACTORY PT Cruiser with More light on the Bumper then My car on the Honda in the Previous Picture.

Notice Little to no Glare on the Sign and how sharply the Lights Cut off. (Not a Super Sharp Cutoff but very very Noticable)

On my Private Road.

Highbeams on, Notice you can see a Sign now and before you couldnt.
The Highbeams allow you to see further but not as bright at that distance as an HID Highbeam would be.

During the Day

Enjoy and Please If your not here to contribute anything to this thread do not comment on their legality.

Opinions on how they look are welcome and if their offensive or possible arguement starter I will have them removed.
[cheers]

See less See more
#163 ·
Question: Have any of you noticed any problems with the auto-on headlight system? I usually just leave my headlight control unit in auto and let the car take care of when to turn the headlights on/off for me. Also, as far as reliability is going, how is everything working? Anyone noticed any long term difficulties/problems with the upgrade? Lastly, does this kit involve any modification to the car such as cutting a slightly bigger hole, or taping to ensure proper sealing of wires/openings etc.?

#174 ·
I think he/she is asking if you used a relay and had the dealer activate daytime running lights (DRLs) or if you just spliced your fog lights or something. Looks good! I think I might either do what you did here or this:

I actually really want to do an LED strip on the inside of the light that follows the “dragon eye” shape of the headlight. I think that shape is really cool and I’d like to accentuate it better.

Reactions: pyzik
#176 ·
Finally got my HID's hooked up! It's the 35w 6000K kit from Retro Solutions. Everything worked great with no bulb out error or flickering.

They work really well, although I still need to finesse the alignment some more to make they a little better but it's not that bad for right now.

#181 ·
I just installed my ddm hid kit with the retro harness and resistor. My resistor connectors were opposite the oem headlight plug. Switched them around and no check bulb warning. I bet anyone following this write up that still has the error has to switch their resistor pos and neg

#183 ·
Its already dark here and i have everything bolted in. Took a good 40 minutes scratching my head till i noticed this. Look at the plug on the resistor harness that plugs into the oem low beam plug. Make sure black is going to black and colored wire to colored wire.

I couldnt just flip the connector upside down and plug it in cause there is no snap to hold it in. So i carefully pulled the wires with the metal connectors out of the plastic and plugged them into the oem connecter correctly then wrapped them with electrical tape

#189 ·
I just installed some nice 4300K HIDs in mine using the set-up that was suggested in the first post along with the diagram and it works fine for me - no 'Dipped Beam' error message. Install took a bit longer than I expected only because it was hard to find a spot to ground the harnesses and I couldn't find a good mounting point for the resistors (I'm one of those who doesn't want to drill holes yet in the car since it's only a week old)...

I purchased the Relay Kit from Retro Solutions

I purchased the Resistors from Ebay --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Xenon-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aad1cf75f&vxp=mtr

I had the Ballasts and H11 bulbs already from my Ford Edge which I yanked out before trading it in for my Focus... but they were ultimately Ebay parts I put together...

Got the Ballasts from this guy -->http://www.ebay.com/itm/230683808344?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and the bulbs were also from Ebay, 4300K --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/260732728420?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I must agree with everyone else; those resistor get ridiculously HOT... I'd avoid any contact with plastic as a word of advice!!

Love the HID look and love the fact that I'm no longer getting that error message so big thanks!!!

#192 ·
Hey, congrats! A question for you though, do you have your DRL's activated? If so, if you switch to parking light mode on the light switch, do your HIDs stay on? Coz mine does and it isn't suppose to be that way..

#195 ·
I would LOVE to get the ST headlights but for $4400 no thank you, Id go with a turbo for that price.. I have had 35w HID and they were a pain, I currently have 55w to a relay hardness and no issues what so ever.. Do at your own risk, I've never had a problem nor have ever been highbeam, but I have a titanium with black housing.

#196 ·
Just clarification - the $4400 on the ST gets you the HID headlights and also gets you the navigation systems, Recaro seats, ambient lighting, and a few other upgrades.

I was referring to adding the lights themselves to a non ST model - which should be less than $4400 - but won't be cheap ...

#197 ·
No chances are it will cost at least 4k just for the housings unless Ford lowers the price per housing. The ones listed for the Focus Electric (FE) were already listed at over 1800 each just for the projector housings.

Part Description: BEV Version High Intensity Discharge Headlamp ; RH
Price: $1,852.55
Headlight Assembly
BEV Version High Intensity Discharge Headlamp ; LH $1,826.13

Subtotal before balasts and other hardware $3678.68

#199 ·
This is the Ford Focus Fanatics Forum, not the Ford Escape fanatics forum, even though the latest Escape does share some of its patform structure to that of the Focus and the European Kuga. But I can understand the confusion.

The Focus electric and ST should essentially use the same hid bulbs and balasts, but I'm not 100% sure on the housings, but they were late availabilty as a part of the ST3 package due to a supplier issue or something apparently.

What are they made of solid gold or something?

#203 ·
Heh - Glad to see I'm not the only who finds the price on these Ford factory HID projectors ridiculous... I don't understand why Ford couldn't put the projectors as standard lights... especially for the price of the car... You have the Mazda 3 5-Door Hatch/Wagon that beats it in that category, but oh well...
I'll just wait until some random manufacturer starts making their own projector version of the stock headlights and starts selling them on ebay, I'm pretty sure it'll be a LOT cheaper than $4000....

Yes, the resistors I bought from eBay are the same as the ones from Retro Solutions... just cheaper in price.

My set-up works fine with DRLs - doesn't behave any differently than when I had the crappy halogens...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.