Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Titanium "Low Battery see Owner's Manual" after 20 Minutes of Stereo on

40K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  ELCouz 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I wanted to see if this problem is normal for the Focus under the given scenario.

So, I like to listen to music in the car (2012 Focus Titanium) while detailing it. I have the Sony 10 speaker sound system and after listening to the stereo (USB) at volume 9 or ten for about 20 minutes I got a message on the screen that says "Low Battery See Owner's Manual" I can't remember if I had accidentally left the fan on (i know it would make a difference) but on another instance I got the message after 40 minutes of music playing (went into battery saving mode once and I had to turn it back on) with no fan on.

I guess I can accept it if we just have a very weak low capacity battery but I used to listen to the stereo on my Mitsubishi Montero (same wattage stereo) with a 5 year old battery at the same or a little higher volume for a very long time (well over an hour) without it ever draining past being able to start or even a noticeable drain.

Just seems odd to me that a brand new car would be so inefficient or have such a bad battery. I know the stereo probably uses a lot of juice but...

Thanks!
-Vanq

See less See more
#3 ·
I have only had this happen once and I had the Fan Blower a little over half way and the stereo on about 6. Additionally at the time I didn't realize that the Sun Screen was making the auto lights come on and I got that message ~20 minutes in.

Since then I try to remember to make sure the lights are off and do not use the blower for as long. I have yet to get that message again.

EDIT:
I usually am running on battery for ~50 minutes a day during the work week.

#4 ·
Hmm, Maybe the power usage between 6 and 10 is a big change because the first time it happened was with no lights on or fan it was 40 minutes in (like I said I had to turn it on again after battery saver mode came up once).

Deftmetal might be right as well though, does anyone know how it gauges the low battery? Because I've not required a jump yet. Usually when the message pops up I freak out and turn the car to drive around for a bit. Never had it have a problem starting after the message though I have never left the radio on after the message.

#5 ·
So, I'm assuming you have MFT and the push-button start (I think all Titaniums have that). Are you just turning on the MFT (pressing the power button on the stereo), or are you turning on the ignition (pressing the start button without pressing the brake, turning on all the cluster lights, etc?)

Reading the forums, you can do the first to get the stereo on without the rest of the vehicle. If you do the second, you're going to be powering up a lot of other stuff (climate control, fuel pump, etc.) that will kill your battery pretty quickly.

#8 ·
Pressing the button puts the car into accessory mode so you get the blowers, radio or anything to do with the MFT along with any lights. Pressing the brake and then the button will start the car so you are using gas not the battery.

#6 ·
Start your car in Test Mode by holding the left 'OK' button for a few seconds and then while still holding the button start the car and continue to hold for another few seconds. Once test mode displays on the screen between the guages, use the up or down arrow to navigate to the battery volts screen. If its below 12 that's an issue with a bad battery or faulty alternator. I think mine is actually always around 13 volts which seems a little high actually.

Good luck. If it happens again take a pic and bring it to the dealer.

#15 ·
Start your car in Test Mode by holding the left 'OK' button for a few seconds and then while still holding the button start the car and continue to hold for another few seconds. Once test mode displays on the screen between the guages, use the up or down arrow to navigate to the battery volts screen. If its below 12 that's an issue with a bad battery or faulty alternator. I think mine is actually always around 13 volts which seems a little high actually.
The battery voltage (engine running) is typically about 14 in most modern cars. A fully charged 6 cell battery is 12.6V (engine off).

#7 ·
Now this is all just speculation as I'm no engineer, but I'd think the Sony system in this car would drain the battery faster than a traditional car stereo of yore. As the Sony system contains MFT, you'd be running the computer that powers that system as well as that large touch screen. As others have said, even if the fans were off, it is possible that the computers for the climate control system were running. If you happened to have the door open for a period of time you'd make things even worse as the fuel pump primes itself when the drivers door is open. Oh and the Sony system has a subwoofer, those things are hungry.

#10 ·
On a normal key ignition ACC and ON is the same thing up until you hold the brake and move the key to RUN to start the car which then it goes back to ON. At least that has been the way every car I have ever driven works. Blowers have always worked for me in ACC mode on a key or push button.

#12 ·
The US/Canada owner's manual is vague about this, and I'm a little disappointed about how poorly organized it is. The UK manual for the 2013 Focus is much better written and clearer about this particular subject:

ON/OFF CONTROL
Press the button with the ignition switched
off. This will operate the audio unit for up
to one hour.

If you switch the audio unit on before you
switch the ignition off, the audio unit will
switch off automatically after 10 minutes
or when you open one of the front doors.

#13 ·
Well I think the blower might have been on for the 20 minutes time it happened. I know it wasn't for the 40 minutes time. My old car the montero had no leds (all the interior lights on the focus are leds so they use no power, and im sure everything was less efficient. It also had a more powerful subwoofer (and better sound system IMO from a quality stand point lol). I can't imagine MFT would suck up that much juice or if it does the designers did a terrible job. I can run my laptop for 4 hours and it has a 16 inch screen, oodles more processing power, and is used to do more than just display the timer for some music. I'll start that car in test mode as was suggested to check if it is a battery issue (didn't know that even existed). I kinda hope it is and hope it isnt at the same time, I hope it is because 40 minutes just listening to music off battery is pretty laughable, but also the dealers near me suck and are 0 help so for that I hope it isn't an issue. I'll let you know what I find out from test mode.

EDIT: I'm thinking there isn't a problem with the battery...
When I entered test mode with the car in ACC mode it read 11.9, with the car on and engine running it read 14.3

I guess it is what it is and the Focus in ACC mode is just terrible inefficient. I'll try the mode with everything off except MFT when I get some time to see if i get more than 40 minutes when I get a chance. Thanks!

#17 ·
Make sure you test your battery after it's been fully charged; i.e.-after having driven it around for 30 minutes. After you park and shut it off, let it sit for about 10 mins completely off before testing. If you're still reading that low, I would be looking at replacement.

#18 ·
Is it alright if the test is done after longer than 10 minutes of off?
I should hope my car isn't discharging that quickly with everything off.

I'll run the test again today, car is obviously still in warranty (950 miles on it) but September 2011 build date presumably sitting outside in New Hampshire since then means that battery would have experienced some pretty varied temperature swings.

#19 ·
Yes, you can wait longer than 10 minutes. The problem with doing it much sooner is that batteries get charged over 12.6v when driving, and they have to dissipate some of that energy and stabilize after a drive.

#20 ·
Testing it after about 30 minutes of driving and waited 10 minutes before testing it. It read a 12.0

Not that it makes a difference but if I apply the brakes (with the engine off and in test mode) the 12 drops to 11.9, I guess it makes sense since the draw is increasing.

#23 ·
That seems strange to me. I listen to my stereo for a couple hours at a time fairly frequently and my battery is still strong. Granted, I don't have the Sony system and I don't have the key on with other accessories...

#24 ·
They say the My Ford Touch system uses "that much" power... I'm stunned too because I could have my previous car on battery for hours listening music as well. And though it didn't have the big touch screen it still had a premium sound system with a better/bigger sub woofer and I can only assume it was far less efficient than the Focus. 30 minutes of radio is just unacceptable, I use the radio while detailing my car a good detail is not completed in 30 minutes...

When I get my oil changed from the dealer I bought it from in 4k miles I'll tell them about the issue and see if they can replace the battery. Think the place I went to isn't the best dealership, they act like I'm annoying them when I have concerns about my car, as if they weren't getting paid by ford to perform the work...

#25 ·
My car did this a few days ago as well. 15 minutes in the car (no HVAC or lights - just MFT and bluetooth on) and I got the low battery message. [dunno]

#29 ·
What I can do is tomorrow I will get the battery volts of mine. I use my car usually about 50 minutes a day in battery but tomorrow will be about 30 minutes since it is Friday. I will get the battery volts before and after. Then Monday I will do the same except with the car in ACC mode.

#30 ·
I also run on battery when I arrive to work but usually for no more than 10 minutes. Today was about 5 minutes with the radio on a iPod via USB and volume set to 8.
Before = 11.8v
Ran from 12:10 pm to 12:28 pm in ACC mode with blowers at 4 and radio at 6. If it makes any difference it was FM HD.
Ran from 12:28 pm to 12:56 pm with everything off except the radio and it was set at 4. FM HD still
After = 11.4v

So I was on battery for 46 minutes and dropped 0.4v.

#32 ·
Not to hijack a thread but I see its been 2 years roughly since anyone has replied. I have a 2012 focus sel hatchback that keeps saying battery low check handbook when I open my door to get into the car. It goes away once I start and drive. I checked the battery and it is giving out 11.9-12 volts, when I start the car it obviously goes up. Anyone have this issue? I don't have the mft so that's not causing the issue. I do have a 12" subwoofer with 500 watt amp however this happened after I took the subwoofer out.

#33 ·
I have my radio on all the time when I detail, and I have the Sony system as well. I've never gotten that message before and have left it on for far longer...

Fun trick though, if you leave the car completely off and just use the power button on the head unit to turn the radio on it'll turn on the system for about 15 minutes. If you want longer you can use ACC mode (first click of the key in ignition/button press w/o foot on brake) but the open door chime won't shut up.

#34 ·
I've had my 2014 Focus for 7 months and 6000 miles and often gives me the same message. I have the basic 6 spkr system and Sync. Sometimes I can detail my car w/o it powering down, but other time it can be anywhere from just a couple to 10-15 minutes. The dealer checked the charging system, says all is ok. I appreciate the "fail safe" system but it is annoying having to start my car every 5-10 minutes while detailing.
Nothing else is on but the radio when this happens. Even with the radio off and I'm sitting in my car in a parking lot reading while waiting to go into work, it will still shut off. I would have the key off but like to leave the phone hooked up to SYNC in case I get a call.

#36 ·
Never fixed the issue. Just learned to deal with it. I actually traded my Focus less than a year into owning it (with 7k miles on it). Not because I didn't love the car, i definitely did love the car, just traded into something with a little more power.

As annoying as this feature is I do appreciate it now after renting a Keyless Ford Edge recently. I dropped it off after hours and accidentally left the car in acc mode but with the doors locked and I had already put the keys in the lockbox before realizing my mistake. Thanks to this feature it wasn't dead the next day and I wasn't charged a fee lol.

Not sure if it would have made a difference in this scenario but my Charger battery (brand new at the time) died after having left the car unattended while traveling for 3 days. Turns out they were leaf blowing dirt and dust and crap in the garage I left it in and some dirt got stuck in the door unlock sensors and kept causing the solenoids to turn on, drained the battery and I was stuck at midnight without a car. Wish the Charger had some sort of feature to prevent the battery drain from this.

#38 ·
Nope... you need FORScan to reset the BMS (or leave the car undisturbed for 8 hours, that procedure is hit or miss)...

From Ford:

When charging the vehicle battery by connecting the charger to the negative battery terminal is necessary, such as when using a combination battery charger and battery tester/analyzer, like the GR 1 190 V3.0 Intelligent Diagnostic Charger, the BCM will not immediately update the battery state of charge. In this instance, after charging, you must carry out the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) Reset using the scan tool. This reset is needed for proper engine off load shedding and to prevent invoking of engine off load shedding earlier than normal.
NOTE: If the reset is not carried out, when the battery is charged by connecting the charger to the negative battery terminal, it takes approximately 8 hours for the BCM to learn the new battery state of charge. During this 8 hour period, the vehicle must be undisturbed, with no doors opened or keyless entry button presses. If the vehicle is used before the BCM is allowed to learn the new battery state of charge, engine off load shedding can still occur and a message may be displayed.
When charging the vehicle battery by connecting the charger to engine or chassis ground, the negative charger clamp must be connected to an unpainted chassis surface or a solid engine component such as a generator mount or engine lifting eye. In this instance, after charging, the BMS Reset is not required. Through this method of charging the BCM will update the battery state of charge during the charging process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.