Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#470 ·
I noticed as soon as I got the car back that the transmission holds 3rd gear longer than it did before. I'll report more after I have more experience with the TSB.
I noticed this with the October update as well. With the speeds I usually cruise at, it seems like my car doesn't even use 4th gear anymore... I'll try to get the update tomorrow.

#472 ·
I just got mine back a couple days ago with the update....and a new clutch. Had them look at mine when I brought it in for its first oil change, because I had a couple odd clunky engagements. Dealer called me later in the day and told me there was a leak in the transmission, and that they needed to change the clutch. After a couple week wait for the parts, I brought my Focus Titanium in this past Monday to have the work done. Got it back on Wednesday, and like most others it seems much smoother now, and better in sport mode. Mine used to short shift second gear on me in sport mode before the update, but not any longer.

#473 ·
I just read about the new fix. My car really scared the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] out of me the other day.

When entering the lot to work, a car pulled out in front of me from a side parking lot. I got off the gas and on the brakes, then on the gas again to avoid them. I was greeted by a high rev and no forward motion. Slid it into "D" to recover.

And last night:

When in Sport mode, I rounded a median during a turn, and the engine revved hard when I slowed to complete the turn. And I was going nowhere in a hurry. Had anyone been behind me at the time, my car would now be in the shop with severe rear-end damage.

Either something else is going on or this new TSB will fix it.

#474 ·
I just read about the new fix. My car really scared the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] out of me the other day.

When in Sport mode, I rounded a median during a turn, and the engine revved hard when I slowed to complete the turn. And I was going nowhere in a hurry. Had anyone been behind me at the time, my car would now be in the shop with severe rear-end damage.

Either something else is going on or this new TSB will fix it.
Had you been in a hurry it probably would have stayed in gear. I'd bet the computer got confused about shifting, it was ready to shift gears when you slowed down and it got caught between gears for a moment. The TSB probably addresses some of that but there will be times when input conflicts with output. Think of it as putting in the clutch to change gears then changing your mind as you apply and let off gas. Revs will happen!

#476 ·
It's nice to know that the update at least does something... because right now, unless I press hard of the gas when accelerating, the tranny seems to fly through the first 3 years really quick (like hit 3rd gear by the time I hit 20-25 MPH. I would think that the car would stay in gears a bit longer than mine has been doing (it's like it will be in 6th when I hit about 40 MPH, which I don't think should be the case...

(I haven't gotten any trans updates since I got my car 6 months ago, so hopefully any of the fixes mentioned above will help my concern. I'm waiting for my dealer to get me an appointment that works around my schedule... I'll update after I get the updates done..)

#477 ·
Is there anything "special" you have to do to get dealers to do these updates?? I already asked one and they had mentioned something ab out a list of criteria being met, one being that it had to be like 60 degrees outside (at least) to recreate the problem...
Mine I don't think matters what temperature it's at. It does funky things at different temperatures at speeds. (like I've noticed in the cold, when inching forward, there is sort of a knocking sound from the trans, but this doesn't always happen. but it happens more often than not...) And the car seems to shutter/vibrate/shake a bit when it does this--like it's about to stall or something.

#483 ·
A few days with TSB 12-01-04

After a few days, I have definitely noticed that third gear is held much longer than it used to be - now the shift doesn't occur until north of 3000 rpm. First and second are held a little higher in the rpms than they were before as well. When coming to a stop, the revs hover between 1000 and 1250 and then drop to around 700 when at idle. Single and double downshifts with the foot to the floor are more responsive and less lazy than they were before. One other thing I noticed is that in reverse the car will now creep along and it didn't do that before.

Overall, the TSB is a definite improvement.

As for getting it in the first place, that was a bit of a battle. I arranged for the appointment on Friday describing the issues I saw (jerky acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, rpm flare when slowing to a stop, uneven idle, reluctance to downshift). When I got to the dealer and presented the TSB I knew about and had printed (11-10-2), I was told by one of the service goofs that he or I could not tell the tech what to do or which TSB to apply, the tech would have to experience the issue with a test drive. I had the NY Times and Motor Trend articles handy that talked about the TSB and the issues that the Powershift transmission was having for cars built before August but still "the tech has to experience the problem". I guess the tech experienced the problem - the TSB 12-01-04 took about 90 minutes to apply, 25 minutes for the driving procedure to be completed and then another 15 minutes for someone to come and get me after the car was parked outside the service door.

In my opinion, everyone who has a car with the Powershift transmission built before August should get the TSB applied. I no longer am afraid to turn left when there are oncoming vehicles approaching. That alone is worth the 2+ hours and hassle.

#484 ·
After a few days, I have definitely noticed that third gear is held much longer than it used to be - now the shift doesn't occur until north of 3000 rpm. First and second are held a little higher in the rpms than they were before as well. When coming to a stop, the revs hover between 1000 and 1250 and then drop to around 700 when at idle. Single and double downshifts with the foot to the floor are more responsive and less lazy than they were before. One other thing I noticed is that in reverse the car will now creep along and it didn't do that before.

Overall, the TSB is a definite improvement.

As for getting it in the first place, that was a bit of a battle. I arranged for the appointment on Friday describing the issues I saw (jerky acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, rpm flare when slowing to a stop, uneven idle, reluctance to downshift). When I got to the dealer and presented the TSB I knew about and had printed (11-10-2), I was told by one of the service goofs that he or I could not tell the tech what to do or which TSB to apply, the tech would have to experience the issue with a test drive. I had the NY Times and Motor Trend articles handy that talked about the TSB and the issues that the Powershift transmission was having for cars built before August but still "the tech has to experience the problem". I guess the tech experienced the problem - the TSB 12-01-04 took about 90 minutes to apply, 25 minutes for the driving procedure to be completed and then another 15 minutes for someone to come and get me after the car was parked outside the service door.

In my opinion, everyone who has a car with the Powershift transmission built before August should get the TSB applied. I no longer am afraid to turn left when there are oncoming vehicles approaching. That alone is worth the 2+ hours and hassle.
Fantastic! I deal with a specific tech. He took my word for it and did not drive the car until after the TSB was applied.

#487 ·
The clown I talked to at my dealer was super reluctant to even check for a TSB. You could tell he was one of those "I hate my life so I'm gonna make every SOB I meet pay for it" guys. Almost blatantly told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that "I see a thousand cars in here so I'm gonna have to see a problem before I do anything". I described my issues and said I had researched the problem and saw that Ford issued a TSB. Wasn't pushy at all, totally polite.

Thanx dick.

So anymore advice on how to get these guys to cooperate is much obliged.

#498 ·
Same thing with me when I bought my car; my dealer didn’t have the model I wanted. Turns out my supposedly "friendly" dealer near my parent’s house was only friendly when they had to sell me a car – not fix it. So I took it to another dealer near my work, the service manager was also a d*ck. Soooo I took it to the dealer near my house in Milwaukee. Tech guy says “TSB? Sounds good; I’ll schedule you for Wednesday.” Now THAT is service. Told him I’d even get my oil change done there instead of doing it myself as a way to show my appreciation.
Which dealer in Milwaukee?

#499 · (Edited)
Which dealer in Milwaukee?
I have an appointment Wednesday morning at Heiser Ford. I told them that my oil change light hasn't come on after 10k miles and I heard there was a TSB for it. I'm at 14.5k and my last one (done at a dealership) was at 4k, so... he really couldn't argue there.

EDIT: If you wait a few days, I can call them back after the reprogramming (assuming they do it - I don't see why they wouldn't) and tell them how my car drives much better and that they should give it to everyone that comes in. We can see how that goes...

#493 ·
After reading about the TSB on this website, I was driving towards home when it seemed like my car was in neutral. In other words I had no forward power. I then shifted into neutral and back to drive and everything was o.k. I called the dealer and made an appointment and they applied the update. Everything was fine and the car shifted much smoother than before even though I had no complaints about the way it shifted then.
I think I have a new problem. I recently took a 400 mile trip and could not get over 36.6 mpg. I had taken the same trip twice before the TSB upgrade and managed an easy 40 mpg with speeds of 65 - 70 mph.
I'm now wondering if anyone else has seen a drop in mpg after the TSB upgrade?

#494 ·
I think I have a new problem. I recently took a 400 mile trip and could not get over 36.6 mpg. I had taken the same trip twice before the TSB upgrade and managed an easy 40 mpg with speeds of 65 - 70 mph.
I'm now wondering if anyone else has seen a drop in mpg after the TSB upgrade?
Is this based on the dash or actual measurements/fuel-ups? Lots of things can effect fuel consumption. Considering they haven't changed your gears themselves, once the car is in 6th gear, the output ratio will not change. This may effect your city gas mileage slightly, but not highway. Note that engine load will effect gas mileage more than RPM (though, a higher RPM will have more friction, and thus increase consumption). Ford hasn't changed the EPA estimates after the update, so I think any issues you are seeing are coincidental.

My $0.02.

#503 ·
Took mine in yesterday after making an appointment last week. It was my first visit to Mcalpine Ford in aurora Ontario and the service was top notch.
I explained the concerns I had with the dct,early shifting,inconsistent idle and false neutrals a couple of times and the service writer Monica said they would take care of it. I did mention I was aware of a tsb that might address the concerns I had.
Got a call a few hours later that they had downloaded the update from Ford and applied it to my focus and that it was ready to go! The invoice stated the tsb applied (12-1-4) and that the drive cycle had been done, heck they even gave me a coupon for a free car wash!
The car was not purchased from this dealer and they did not even ask where it had been. They simply offerred great personel service and in the process they have earned my buisness for the future when I need them.
The car shifts smoother and quicker and there is a more linear response to throttle inputs v.s. shift points than before. The car starts off smoother and behaves better than before .

#504 ·
Hello,

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback with PowerShift transmission. It has 1020 miles on it. During my daily driving today, it developed a odd sound that had not existed before.

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes when it shifts into second gear it makes a odd grinding/rattling/chattering sort of noise. So far, it only seems to be when it shifts to second.

Will this TSB fix this? I bought this Focus a couple weeks ago. How do I know if my Focus already has this TSB applied to it?

Thanks!

#508 ·
Mine has developed a shuddering for a second when it shifts into 4th gear. All other gears are fine. I have 2,300 miles on the clock. It happens mostly on a slight incline. Manually shifting at higher rpm works fine.

Acts like it shifts into 4th too early, which happens at about 2,500 rpm, but that's the rpm other gears shift at, with no shudder.

This one has me stumped. Have the next to latest flash.

I can drive around it, by gassing it more through the gears, manually or auto.

May just be the taller ratio, at that throttle setting.

Anyone else notice this?

#509 · (Edited)
Just dropped my car off at the dealer. Eee! Can't wait! [:D]

EDIT: They have to update their computers first, so I'm taking a rental. [:(]

Good news is that they'll be good for whoever needs it next!

#510 ·
I bought mine in December so it is up to date and I only notice shudder when i hesitate between gas and brake while decelerating in parking lots for example.

#522 ·
How can I check if I have the latest? Sorry, I know I should read through this thread but MEHHH... lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.